Spelling mistake in Alexander Scourby audio bible

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3
Terry Brian McDonnell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 11 2022 7:35 AM

Spelling mistake in Alexander Scourby audio bible. They misspelled "Malachai". It should be spelled as "Malachi"

Posts 30846
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2022 10:44 AM

Terry Brian McDonnell:

Spelling mistake in Alexander Scourby audio bible. They misspelled "Malachai". It should be spelled as "Malachi"

"Malachai" is a known variant. How do you know it is misspelled? Do you have any supporting evidence that it should be "Malachi" instead? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30846
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2022 11:10 AM

I just looked it up and have 7 resources in my library with the variant. I don't know if any of the Scourby original sources would have used it or not. 

Posts 3
Terry Brian McDonnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2022 12:54 PM

Thanks for your research. I got the spelling from my Cambridge KJV Concord Wide Margin reference edition, published in 1996.

Posts 30846
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2022 1:20 PM

You may be right, but to be a genuine spelling mistake, it needs to differ from the original source material. It is possible that the variant spelling was used in the original. In all likelihood, only FL can answer that. 

If we were to find "original" packaging, we might be able to give a better answer... but even then, sometimes there are different editions of the packaging (i.e. US vs. UK, Record vs. 8 Track vs. CD). 

If the source material doesn't have any written TOC, it would be good to utilize the more standard spelling (as you have noted). 

Posts 36345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2022 1:39 PM

from a totally unfamilar source:

I think the issue here is that there’s Irish Malachi and Hebrew Malachi. The Irish pronunciation is ‘mal-a-key’ and the Hebrew pronunciation is ‘mal-a-kai’.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 666
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2022 11:41 PM

I purchased the Scourby audio a number of years ago directly from the "Official" Scourby website at that time.

The downloaded mp3 file I received was named "39_Malachi" for what it is worth (not much I know Geeked).

Posts 30846
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 7:48 AM

Thanks Roy!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS