Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 120
Joey Midgett | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 14 2022 3:42 AM

I currently have Faithlife Connect so I have all features in my package temporarily. But rather than paying every year I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the full feature set and just upgrade from time to time.

If I owned the Full Feature Set in Logos 9 about what would be the dynamic price to get the Full Feature Set in Logos 10. I know the numbers wouldn't be exact, but just wondering if it makes sense to buy it outright verses renting it year to year.

Posts 1930
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2022 4:13 AM

Like you I have Faithlife Connect - and I have had it a while, since Logos Now days. Before that, I did buy features for at least Logos 4 and 6. Logos 4 was Scholars, and Logos 6 was Gold, I believe. In general over the years of looking at upgrades, I have found that buying into the feature level I would want was roughly equivalent to what I have paid in rentals. But with the current sale, it would have been cheaper to buy the features now instead of renting them for the years. But that doesn't include the 3 free books each month, as well as the discounts on packages when upgrading I get as part of Faithlife Connect.

I have no exact numbers, but I would seriously consider buying the features you need instead of renting them all if you are looking at less income in the future (eg. retirement or other life changes) but if you are going to be an active Logos Customer, I have been happy with the benefits I get from Connect.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 1636
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2022 5:22 AM

I never did rent.  On the other hand, I stopped buying features after Logos8 (didn't need the new ones).  I'd suspect my total feature investment is about $750 or so.  Measured across 13 years.  What's that, maybe $60 or so per year averaging?  Maybe $70/yr if I'd bought the L9 ones.

The 'payback' on rent/own, really depends on which 'level' of features you value.  Early on, there was all or nothing.  Now, you can choose.  Plus, look at some of the resources that accompanies the features:

https://www.logos.com/search?query=logos%209%20features&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe 

Posts 5993
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2022 6:20 AM

Joey Midgett:
I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the full feature set and just upgrade from time to time.

For me the annual fee seems a good option. Not only for the free books and the additional discounts but for the fact that one gets any new features, that come along, without having to make another purchase decision.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1481
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2022 8:29 AM

I’ve always preferred to own software rather than rent (I’m particularly annoyed with Adobe’s business model which doesn’t give me the ability to buy). So I buy Verbum instead of rent FL Connect.

I think the only exception to that rule is Office365 which is cheaper to subscribe than to buy the tier I need when doing our Parish bulletin. 

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 225
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2022 9:56 AM

If Faithlife understands economics, and I think they do, then it should never be optimal for a lifetime customer to rent compared to owning it outright. Based on this belief that Faithlife understands economics and that I plan to be a lifetime customer, I choose to buy rather than rent.

Posts 3564
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2022 3:17 PM

Ken McGuire:

Like you I have Faithlife Connect - and I have had it a while, since Logos Now days. Before that, I did buy features for at least Logos 4 and 6. Logos 4 was Scholars, and Logos 6 was Gold, I believe. In general over the years of looking at upgrades, I have found that buying into the feature level I would want was roughly equivalent to what I have paid in rentals. But with the current sale, it would have been cheaper to buy the features now instead of renting them for the years. But that doesn't include the 3 free books each month, as well as the discounts on packages when upgrading I get as part of Faithlife Connect.

I have no exact numbers, but I would seriously consider buying the features you need instead of renting them all if you are looking at less income in the future (eg. retirement or other life changes) but if you are going to be an active Logos Customer, I have been happy with the benefits I get from Connect.

Joey, like you and Ken, I'm a renter and I have placed Ken's statement as a banner as I agree with every comment he includes. What I would add is because I regularly buy a sizable amount of resources each year the 2% annual return on expenditures is a plus for me (and FL usually rounds up). I want to also respond to the comment made re if you plan to be a lifetime buyer you come out better as a buyer. I agree that I prefer to get my features immediately upon their availability. $100 per annum with all the perks (another thing not mentioned is the MobileEd catalogue available every 6 months) I say is better than Netflix $9.99 per mo., that also spurs me to recall the FL TV availability, I never find the exclusive monthly deals to be useful, but there's that, and I have been introduced to a worthwhile resource in the monthly temporary license that is offered. 

Having said all that, I'll continue to rent.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 120
Joey Midgett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2022 3:44 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I thought with the sale I might buy, but I didn't know how much it might be to upgrade with each new edition of Logos. I really do like having new features as they come out and really the cost isn't that much. I think I might just keep renting.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS