How to locate a place on a map

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 22
Dennis J. Carter | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:07 PM

When I use places-biblical places to find a location on a map from a Biblical reference, a map pops up. This is great! However, how do you find the location on the map that pops up. I read Morris Proctor's "Logos 4: Quickly Access a Map." I right clicked  on Acts 28:1 on the word Malta. The map appeared. It still took time to locate Malta. Shouldn't the map highlight the name or location?

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:10 PM

For What Its Worth, you can hold your mouse over the map and roll your mouse wheel to zoom In/Out.
(or Ctrl + or Ctrl - using the keyboard)
Then grab the map (mouse over the map turns into a hand when you hold the left mouse button down) and drag it to reposition the map.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 22
Dennis J. Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:16 PM

I understand about the zoom in/out. When a map of Paul's travel pops up, how do you easily locate on small location on a large map if you don't know where it was in the first place?

Posts 63
Scot Jefferies | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:25 PM

You might try the "See Also" items on the Bible Places window (the map that comes up following Mo's instructions).  It is in the upper left portion of the window with the longitude and lattitude next to it is a link to Google Maps.

Posts 63
Scot Jefferies | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:28 PM

Scot Jefferies:

You might try the "See Also" items on the Bible Places window (the map that comes up following Mo's instructions).  It is in the upper [left] RIGHT portion of the window with the longitude and lattitude next to it is a link to Google Maps.

Correction:  That is upper right.  Sorry about that.

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:42 PM

DennisJCarter:

I understand about the zoom in/out. When a map of Paul's travel pops up, how do you easily locate on small location on a large map if you don't know where it was in the first place?

Once you get to the map, press Ctrl+F and type in Malta, and hit Enter. Logos will locate Malta for you on that map, center the map on it, and zoom in to an appropriate level for you to be able to read the text.

Posts 22
Dennis J. Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:48 PM

Fantastic! It worked just like you said. Thank you very much!

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:51 PM

Rosie Perera:

DennisJCarter:

Once you get to the map, press Ctrl+F and type in Malta, and hit Enter. Logos will locate Malta for you on that map, center the map on it, and zoom in to an appropriate level for you to be able to read the text.

Great Rosie!

I had never tried to use the "find" on a map within Logos before. Nice to know this works!

Logos should add this to the "Logos Bible Software Help" dropdown section under Maps.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:55 PM

Pretty slick Rosie, thats a new one for me.

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:57 PM

Praiser:

Great Rosie!

I had never tried to use the "find" on a map within Logos before. Nice to know this works!

I never had either. And I had just written up a whole post about how this is a perfect reason why Logos should implement "visual cues" when someone goes to a map, to show them where the city is that they're looking for and zoom in on it so they can read the text. I was about to post that when it dawned on me that maybe I should try "Find" first to see if it works in maps. And lo and behold, it did! I love the smooth motion as it centers the location and zooms in on it. Logos rocks!

I learn more about Logos by answering people's questions on the forum than I do from just about anywhere else...

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 5:01 PM

steve clark:

Pretty slick Rosie, thats a new one for me.

I'm thinking we need a wiki page on maps. I see you edited the Biblical Places page today, but it's still just a stub. I'm working on writing the wiki page for Morphological Search right now (which has been sorely needed for some time). But maybe I'll do maps after that, unless you'd like to take a stab at it first.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 5:06 PM

already added your thought to the page Biblical Places

Edit: ahh, you were replying as i was adding it. i had not planned on adding Biblical Place in detail (as i did for Biblical People) right now as it takes up quite a bit of time.

Edit2: plus since the 4.1Beta is changing Print/Export, i don't have access to those changes right now.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:19 PM

Rosie Perera:

Thanks, Rosie, for sharing with us how to search within the maps!  Although I haven't often used the maps in Logos, the ability to search within a map is a very cool feature.  I'm enjoying using Logos - it makes my reading of the OT so much more interesting and very educational. to say the least.  Unfortunately, it's also keeping me up late at night.

Edit:  And it looks like you can search maps only if they also are tagged with Google coordinates.  In other maps, the search bar disappears.

David

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:55 PM

steve clark:
already added your thought to the page Biblical Places

Thanks, Steve. I think the only map that shows the search hit highlighted in brown is The Biblical World. On all the other ones I've tried, it just zooms in on the city name. I've made a slight change to the text to acknowledge this difference. Maybe if I have time later I'll do a full detailed Biblical Places wiki page.

David Bailey:
And it looks like you can search maps only if they also are tagged with Google coordinates.  In other maps, the search bar disappears.

I think it's that you can only search maps that are in the new Biblical Places map collection, not the old ones from the Logos Deluxe Map Set or other images. And yes, these new ones are all tagged with Google coordinates. They are the light pastel colored ones that appear first in the list of maps at the bottom of Biblical Places when you search for a place.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS