Any recommendations on either of these?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3564
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2022 8:04 AM

Dale E Heath II:
Thanks for highlighting these as I was able to pick up the single title I lacked for the OT times, it was the flood account. Personally, I had confidence in the quality of these resources as John Walton was the principal author, and he can be relied upon for quality work. AFA the NT times resources personally I would steer away as they indicate that these are heavily interwoven with fiction, not my cup of tea. But, that may be just me.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 64
Bmickey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2022 11:22 AM

If it helps you in any way... the "Week in the Life" series is historical fiction, but seem to be very accurate accounts of life. I haven't read them all, but the one about Corinth generally follows the Corinthian letters and was an enjoyable read. Of course, they are not intended to be commentaries and should not be thought of as such.

I own the OT set, but haven't read/interacted with it enough to comment at all. I hope more people respond and are more helpful than me! Smile

Posts 19699
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2022 12:15 PM

Dale E Heath II:

Thanks for mentioning that. I was missing 3 volumes in the series and was able to get them all for the dynamic price of $21.60 (vs. $13.99 each).

Posts 1613
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2022 12:31 PM

I'm a fan of Walton's Lost World Series. I own them all, haven't read them all. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 118
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2022 1:17 PM

I’ve read a couple from each of these series, and found them extremely good. The “Week in the life” books are historical fiction but take you into the background of the events they relate to in ways that are interesting and helpful, so long as you understand them for what they are. The “Lost world” books are not fiction, and provide good background on the relevant OT texts. I like John Walton’s work and found them extremely helpful. It probably depends on your theological stance, but I really value them. 

Posts 1187
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2022 4:50 PM

I thought Walton's works on Genesis 1 and Adam and Eve were very helpful.  It may have just been me, but I personally found his volume on the Israelite conquest less helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS