Why no 2nd Edition of BECNT Philippians?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28
ElephantMan | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 22 2022 5:24 AM

Hi All,

There doesn't seem to be a Second Edition (2005) of BECNT Philippians in Logos, only First Edition (1992).

https://www.logos.com/product/8078/philippians

Does anyone know why this is?

Posts 9172
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 7:54 AM

Maybe Logos missed it.  Personally, I’d rather have the publisher focus on finishing the series than focusing on second editions.  Most of them don’t add much anyway.

DAL

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 7:54 AM

Who wrote it? Plagiarism?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 7:59 AM

Hmm. The link you provided says I own it. Mylibrary has one edition: The second. Product page  error?

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 8:04 AM

You should contact customer service. My ISBN is different than the product page. Although it says I own it, it does not appear that I do. 

Posts 1913
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 8:29 AM

ElephantMan:

Hi All,

There doesn't seem to be a Second Edition (2005) of BECNT Philippians in Logos, only First Edition (1992).

https://www.logos.com/product/8078/philippians

Does anyone know why this is?

It's here https://www.logos.com/product/8078/philippians

Sorry my phone won't activate the link.

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 9:49 AM

That is the same link he has. The ISBN is for the first edition. The language is for the first edition. 

Posts 1913
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 10:21 AM

JT (alabama24):

That is the same link he has. The ISBN is for the first edition. The language is for the first edition. 

Sorry you're right. I could have sworn I'd seen the 2nd edition at some point. They have the Romans 2 edition so it's strange not to have this one.

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 11:59 AM

As I mentioned, I have it. The website link you gave says I own it. But I don't (I own the second edition). I am unsure what is going on. 

Posts 5195
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 12:32 PM

Looking at the resource in my library, it states that it is the second edition on the title page. The product page doesn't relay that though and makes it appear as if it is the 1st edition.

Posts 7
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 1:25 PM

The first edition was published in the Wycliffe Series by Moody Press. But Moody dropped the series. Baker picked it up, but modified the form and structure slightly. So the Philippians second edition is more of an update to keep it consistent with the current series. Only minor updating was done by Silva. Plagiarism is not a factor at all. Silva is a great scholar.

Posts 9172
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 2:01 PM

Mattillo:

Looking at the resource in my library, it states that it is the second edition on the title page. The product page doesn't relay that though and makes it appear as if it is the 1st edition.

We got two editions for the price of one: ©1992, 2005 by Moisés Silva So both years are listed.  Nothing to worry about 👍😁👌

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 3:20 PM

DAL:
We got two editions for the price of one: ©1992, 2005 by Moisés Silva So both years are listed.  Nothing to worry about

To list both dates is common with second editions. This is different than having "two editions,"

Posts 9172
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 3:24 PM

JT (alabama24):

DAL:
We got two editions for the price of one: ©1992, 2005 by Moisés Silva So both years are listed.  Nothing to worry about

To list both dates is common with second editions. This is different than having "two editions,"

Yep, but you get the point 😁

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 3:24 PM

Rick Carmickle:
The first edition was published in the Wycliffe Series by Moody Press. But Moody dropped the series. Baker picked it up, but modified the form and structure slightly. So the Philippians second edition is more of an update to keep it consistent with the current series. Only minor updating was done by Silva. Plagiarism is not a factor at all. Silva is a great scholar.

My comment above was before I dug into it. There have been certain volumes of commentaries removed due to plagiarism, which is why I asked if it were an issue here. It was clear early on that wasn't the case.

However: Your explanation doesn't fit here. There appear to have been two editions of Baker: 1992 and 2005. In any case, the ISBN from the product page is NOT the ISBN of the edition I have (which is the second edition). 

As I have mentioned earlier, this may simply be a product page error. 

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 3:25 PM

DAL:
Yep, but you get the point

Perhaps. Tongue Tied

I assume if the OP purchases the book linked to, he will get the same edition I have. However, that is not a guarantee. FL needs to respond. 

Posts 1177
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2022 4:18 PM

The title art on the product page also says "Second Edition," which matches my library too.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS