PLEASE VOTE: Remaining two volumes of Norman Gottwald's "Social Justice and the Hebrew Bible"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19699
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 24 2022 11:54 AM

It's frustrating when Logos has one volume of a 3-volume work and is missing the other two.

Please vote to have Faithlife make the other two volumes of this series available. They have several other of Norman Gottwald's works, and he was just a major subject of our church's sermon this morning, so I'd like to read some stuff by him. A good chunk of this review of his work by Walter Brueggemann was read by our preacher this morning.

Vote here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/remaining-two-volumes-of-norman-gottwald-s-social-justice-and-the-hebrew-bible

Posts 2438
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2022 4:21 AM

In my mind, once Logos offers a series or set of related books, that should represent an unspoken agreement that Logos will at least attempt to provide the remaining volumes in that series or set.  If I buy a volume, it should be assumed that I want the rest of the volumes, and customers shouldn't have to ask for it or wait forever for it to get enough interest to make it into pre-publication.  

I know that sometimes this would mean that Logos would have to provide resources that aren't as popular, but to me, that should go into the initial decision to offer volumes from the set.  

Now, if Logos somehow loses the rights to produce a work, obviously, that is a different situation.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 305
RRD | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2022 8:57 AM

YesYes

Posts 19699
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2022 7:15 PM

Joseph Turner:
In my mind, once Logos offers a series or set of related books, that should represent an unspoken agreement that Logos will at least attempt to provide the remaining volumes in that series or set.  If I buy a volume, it should be assumed that I want the rest of the volumes, and customers shouldn't have to ask for it or wait forever for it to get enough interest to make it into pre-publication.  

I agree. But I have found that they don't always offer the whole series up front, even if all the volumes are published already. Perhaps it's sometimes about rights, but when all the volumes are published by the same publisher and all within 3 years of each other, that is highly unlikely. It is more likely human error/oversight. I don't think users should be responsible for pointing out those oversights, but when I see them I'm going to point them out.

Posts 2438
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2022 5:03 AM

Rosie Perera:

Joseph Turner:

I agree. But I have found that they don't always offer the whole series up front, even if all the volumes are published already. Perhaps it's sometimes about rights, but when all the volumes are published by the same publisher and all within 3 years of each other, that is highly unlikely. It is more likely human error/oversight. I don't think users should be responsible for pointing out those oversights, but when I see them I'm going to point them out.

Right!  And I certainly wasn't faulting you for pointing it out.  I just wish we didn't have to. 

My example would be the 1 Enoch Hermeneia translation.  We had the whole set of commentaries, plus the Jubilees translation which was in pre-pub, but the 1 Enoch translation was nowhere to be seen, and that is an important work (I would think more notable than Jubilees).  I think I posted every single day in my thread for some time until it finally got recognized, and then I continued posting until it went into pre-publication.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS