*Customer Alert*

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5647
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 30 2022 9:12 PM

I have searched for this book in Logos in the past...no dice. For sump'n sump'n reasons, I have been looking to see which books I have in hard copy that are also available in Logos. I thought for sure I'd seen the aforementioned book in Logos, but a search turns up nothing. But the aforementioned book is part of a series, too, so I thought to plug-in the series name...and WHOA!

https://www.logos.com/product/17265/foundations-of-contemporary-interpretation 

Turns out, Logos has had all of the books of the series in a unified volume for some time. Tongue Tied This kinda bugs me because I've bought two of them, one very recently, in the last 2-3 years, thinking they weren't available in Logos...and I think I paid as much for just one as I could have gotten all six for in Logos. So feeling sweet and sour. Just thought I would bring this to people's attention in case they were in the market for any of these volumes. Crazy thing is, I was actually looking at possibly purchasing the cheaper of the Zondervan bundles this title is part of, and I didn't even realize this series was one of the resources in the bundle. I feel like there ought to have been some visual cue that alerted customers to what this unified title is...each book in the series has a distinctive visual appearance, and the unified title does nothing to indicate relatedness to that visual cue. The Grinch in me almost wants to boycott it for that reason. Huh?

I have to admit, though, six books for that price is a killer deal.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 1907
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 30 2022 10:33 PM

David Paul:

Thanks for pointing out that book. I guess it's worth searching by author too, but as you say there's no visual cue to the individual books, so you might still pass over the omnibus edition.

Posts 1613
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2022 8:08 AM

Yes, thanks! Happy to pick up Long, Art of Biblical History, among others, in one shot.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 5647
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2022 8:49 AM

I think I own three of these in hard copy, all bought in the last 3-4 years, and I could have gotten them all for a fraction in Logos. EmbarrassedAngry

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 1636
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2022 9:04 AM

Well, if David AND Ben like it, I purchased (and on sale). Good authors.

Added:

Well, it didn't take long to become horrified.  Silva (from below) goes on, not to defend Hebrew, but to question Greek (validly).  But Hebrew ... my impression from my many years of Logosian citizenship, is Hebrew is not well presented in Logos.  And Greek, over-presented.

Posts 9171
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2022 10:01 AM

DMB:

Added:

Well, it didn't take long to become horrified.  Silva (from below) goes on, not to defend Hebrew, but to question Greek (validly).  But Hebrew ... my impression from my many years of Logosian citizenship, is Hebrew is not well presented in Logos.  And Greek, over-presented.

I’m not too sure about how useful this 6 in 1 volume is.  I have other books in the subject that probably do a better job.  Is there meaning in this text is another that doesn’t seem to contribute much to what’s already available in my library.  Good discount?, yes, how useful? I don’t know 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Posts 1636
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2022 10:17 AM

DAL:
 I have other books in the subject that probably do a better job.  

I'm not sure how you would determine that. And I don't know about your library. I'm still on chapter 1, though I've perused the others for directionality.  From the intro (to the grouping), and from the subject coverage, it looks like it's directed at seminary students, maybe 2nd or 3rd year, who are in danger of over-simplifying, and over-analyzing the text. Sounds like FL (a bit catty).

Which seems like what you've been saying, over the years.  So, maybe yes ... preaching to a choir you already have.

Posts 1907
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2022 1:53 PM

DAL:

DMB:

Added:

I’m not too sure about how useful this 6 in 1 volume is.  I have other books in the subject that probably do a better job.  Is there meaning in this text is another that doesn’t seem to contribute much to what’s already available in my library.  Good discount?, yes, how useful? I don’t know 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Which books are you thinking of DAL in your library that may be better?

Posts 9171
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2022 5:26 PM

I’ll let you know when I’m by my computer 👌

Posts 1907
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2022 10:23 PM

DAL:

Thanks

Posts 1613
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2022 8:43 AM

DMB:

This was mostly for Long (which I read several years ago) and Longman, whom I like as an author (but haven't read here). I'm mostly aware of Silva's book on the Septuagint, and not a fan of Poythress. (don't want to be taken as enthusiastically endorsing the whole collection.)

But you can't beat converting paper to Logos for $8.99.  

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1613
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2022 8:43 AM

DMB:

This was mostly for Long (which I read several years ago) and Longman, whom I like as an author (but haven't read here). I'm mostly aware of Silva's book on the Septuagint, and not a fan of Poythress. (don't want to be taken as enthusiastically endorsing the whole collection.)

But you can't beat converting paper to Logos for $8.99.  

Posts 1636
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2022 9:03 AM

Ben:
I'm mostly aware of Silva's book on the Septuagint,

Silva's kind of like the contributors to the New Jerome Commentary ... they wildly wend their way across the fields of scholarly analysis, but re-alight at the last minute, in Christian/Catholic safety, demanding a logical break before the last sentence!

Posts 9171
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2022 5:41 PM

Paul Caneparo:

DAL:

Thanks

I’m all about being practical.  If I could have just one book besides de 6 in 1 book on sale, it would be this one: https://www.logos.com/product/156762/interpreting-the-new-testament-text-introduction-to-the-art-and-science-of-exegesis

It’s both informative and practical and it actually gives you examples where what you learn is applied 👍😁👌

DAL

PS. I went ahead and bought David Paul’s recommendation because it’s really cheap when you think about it, so I may use it some day 👌

Posts 1636
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2022 5:52 PM

DAL:

It’s both informative and practical and it actually gives you examples where what you learn is applied 👍😁👌

PS. I went ahead and bought David Paul’s recommendation because it’s really cheap when you think about it, so I may use it some day 👌

Well, the Paul recommended book isn't going to be practical, nor informative (per se). 'Weeds' quickly comes to mind. But good.

Posts 1907
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2022 11:28 PM

DAL:

Paul Caneparo:

DAL:

Thanks

I’m all about being practical.  If I could have just one book besides de 6 in 1 book on sale, it would be this one: https://www.logos.com/product/156762/interpreting-the-new-testament-text-introduction-to-the-art-and-science-of-exegesis

DAL

Thanks DAL. I bought the 6 in 1 book, but after a quick scan through decided whilst it was great value, it's probably not something I'll ever get round to reading. These sales come round every now and then so maybe I'll pick up next time if my budget isn't so stretched. 

Posts 5647
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2022 12:43 AM

To be clear, this thread is for "making aware" rather than "recommending".

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again...the only resources I agree with in my Logos library are the Bibles...and the lexicons, mostly, I guess (although I did post a sort of endorsement for John Bevere's The Fear of the Lord, which I think is 90ish% spot on (for certain prophetic reasons, it's essentially impossible for anything to be 100%). So in providing the alert for this series omnibus, it was definitely more due to the "hidden" (actually hard to find) nature of the book(s), and not because I'm promoting the authors/works. I do have 2 or 3 of them in hard back, but as is true with my Logos library, resources I acquire for my tree library aren't chosen due to perceived agreement. Mostly I buy based on topic. Occasionally, after reading, I may find a book that crosses into 40-50% agreement, but that's pretty rare. I read mostly for fact acquisition (typically scholarly works, since they usually aren't clouded by theology), and for POV acquisition.

Whether or not I agree with a person's assessment of data, pretty much every person (thus every author) has something that is uniquely valuable: their individual point of view. For the most part, I mean this in a fundamentally positional and spatial sense, although there is a psychological dimension as well. If I'm in an art class, and we are all arrayed around a bowl of fruit, when I finish my picture of apple, peach, pear, pineapple, and grapes, then I get up and walk to the other side of the class and see another student putting finishing touches on her picture of apple, peach, pineapple, grapes, and banana, it makes no sense at all for me to excoriate her for including a banana and failing to include a pear. Although we were both looking at the same "thing" (a bowl of fruit), we didn't (and couldn't!) see the same thing in terms of the details. I didn't see the banana and didn't factor it in to my picture, and for her, the same thing was true for the pear. POV is unique and nearly impossible to replicate in real world scenarios. That said, while the self-reporting that we get from people about their POVs is highly useful in providing unique and otherwise unavailable material that helps increase our fund of knowledge and awareness, that doesn't mean that other people are good assessors of the facts and information they take in. In other words, while a person's POV is invaluable, their developed opinion of what their POV "means" may be nearly worthless.

An example is Jacque Derrida and Deconstruction(ism). He popularized the topic and is strongly associated with it, even to the extent that what-all he said about it is supposed and assumed by many to be "what it is". But all Derrida did was identify a very real phenomenon that wasn't fully described up to that point. The fact is, while Derrida made some useful observations about it, when he began to assess, describe, and attribute "meaning" to what he had perceived, his results were pretty ham-fisted, even to the point that he obscured the true value of the concept by associating it with peripheral issues that had less to do with the phenomenon itself and more to do with "issues that mattered" to Derrida. Derrida's POV (seeing deconstruction as a "thing") is/was extraordinarily valuable. His conclusions and applications (his extracted "meanings") are mostly immaterial.

So, I read mainly for reportage as opposed to reaction. I read for point-of-view rather than for viewpoint.

Most of my tree books are in storage, but I have two of the books from this series on hand and have started them both. I hope to get something valuable from them (POV) whether or not I agree with anything in them.

Posts 1907
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2022 1:15 AM

David Paul:

Thanks for pointing out the resource. It's always great to be pointed to resources others may have missed.

Posts 2438
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2022 6:10 AM

I appreciated the recommendation.  I had not seen it, and I bought it!  And some of us like strolling amongst the weeds.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1636
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2022 9:34 AM

David Paul:

I'd definitely recommend; my continued strolling, ran into Silva's discussion below.  From a practical matter, building linguistic neural nets, early on, I stripped the Hebrew vowels, accents, etc, thinking 'not original', and potentially pseudo-pattern creating.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS