Understanding where i should start for Beginners in study

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 9 2022 9:18 AM

I had wasted a lot of time coming out of this year trying to figure out what i can do how to just do about anything since god had drawn me out of the world. I found Logos bible software and got excited in learning, But i found myself more confused in where to begin, more questions than answers. I use it still today, But i didn't know where to go from there in studying. So i just went and got myself just a Esv bible and read it, And found out about reading it with https://scriptureunion.org/how-to-read-pray/ and trying to apply that in my reading in the Book of John, Writing my questions and praying/meditation. I felt more stuck with it than anything, having had understood i know i cannot do anything without the holy spirit. I spent a week using Bible.is app, and listening NLT, Contempory bible to understand what i did not know as well the dwell app for listening to scriptures, and i spend time with the lord in prayer and praise in worship in hymnals and psalms. Not knowing much, but wanted the desire to be close with him and glorify him in all my ways and sufferings because of my illnessess. So i'm not sure where i should go from here because of my health struggles in limitations i just want to grow get somewhere before his return. Either i continue doing what i'm doing in how i try to study, or try https://www.allenparr.com/toolkit/ allen parr how to study easy, which i do not know how to use it. If i do i was wondering if anyone would be willing to teach me little at a time in the time you have to spare. I have trouble doing anything on my own where i live i do not have churches or family in christ. I am just trying to grow. 7 months in not much progress. just trying to find a hermeneutic i can learn. If you have questions what i need or trying to ask more then welcome to ask. 

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2022 10:17 AM

I commend your desire to grow and learn Josiah. Well done!

josiah grace:
I found Logos bible software and got excited in learning, But i found myself more confused in where to begin, more questions than answers. I use it still today, But i didn't know where to go from there in studying.

I think your experience is not that uncommon with those who are just starting their walk with Christ. Don't beat yourself up about not being sure how to approach learning to use Logos better. I'm not sure what resources you own in Logos but think about it like going to a physical library. Walking into some large libraries can feel a bit overwhelming. The same is true for Logos. That's why a simple approach is needed. Take it one step at a time. Read one book at a time or study one topic at a time. Little by little your knowledge will increase as you continue to grow and become more familiar with things.

If you are not sure how to approach studying something, come to the forums and ask for suggestions and you will find many helpful people here. Do have have any specific questions that you have at this time?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 13
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2022 10:54 AM

Well i do have real bad understanding, that I have Faith but very very weak, and that faith was a gift from god? What are all are his gifts? I know Grace when all seems dark Grace is all sufficient and where i was so low in my life by Gods Grace i couldn't fall completely. I just do not have much understanding. I love scriptures like john:37-40 and john 10:28-30 but i struggle just getting the grasp of all these wonderful truths. Yet i do not know barely anything especially to hold onto in the midst of my heart when it comes to abiding in christ. I do not abide and what that looks like i have almost hardness of heart but not trying to, the deceitfulness of money and worries i notice and quench the words u remember, but i always have to reread what i had marked and somehow it brings comfort but still confusing, as if i have such a hard time trusting yet i find myself wanting or desiring im very wavery because of so much discouragement and struggles for 7 months. I just know i want nothing to do with my old life and i have no brothers or sisters in christ to uplift me because of the simplicity of my mind, But i notice god has been there always there, And i keep on fighting him, And i see nothing but having to rely and depend on him. and i want to do just that. But i do not know scripture and been fighting for months desiring how this looks like on paper. there is a lot really to explain where im coming from, so i try to keep it brief. I just think i hope i give god all the glory in the end. at the moment i have read matthew, mark, luke, out loud trying to read john eventually get to acts. I had fasted one day trying to think id find something god wanted me to see because of unwell i have been with everything and i cannot stand being in the flesh. I just pray once i get in the epistles god will reveal what he wants me to study on like he had in the past. because i have such a uncertainty and just want another confirmation by him, because it sure looks like it all is leading to suffering ultimately to grow my faith and give god the glory. so what i notice in hymnals like "John newton - i ask god that i might grow" and even everywhere in the bible  and even in my own life how much my heart desires for him to be continually with me. so needy and weak. I don't want to be like this. but when going through afflictions and trials i always try to look to him to work it out and endure. But i cannot help to talk with him with tears in holding on to him the best way i can and looking back at scripture. I'm 30 very inexperience growing up, and suddenly i had a new birth on top of moving out on my own with lack of growing up experience on top of that failing to be responsible, i feel crippled mentally but not as bad as i want since i told u about what i have been doing to draw closer to god. there has been such a uplifting. srry for telling u so much. I know after my new birth i had no tutors or guidance teachers were to be found, even online help has almost felt impossible. I had reached online for churches found some trying to get involved but it has been difficult where i live there is such a distance to churchs i want to attend and where being on SSI makes it even more. Looks like god just wants me here. I do not mind that. I just want to get help on how to learn how to study properly and grow in my relationship with christ.

Posts 10
D. Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2022 1:29 PM

Here's my thoughts for any new Christian leaning the bible - with or without the help of bible software.

Every plant grows at a different rate - so to with Christians. The key is to keep growing.

Be curious and be willing to dig. Even the basic packages of Logos will have enough tools and resources to keep you busy for a while.

Try searching for words that are meaningful to you in the moment. From your post try searching for these words: abide, afflictions, endure, suffering, glory, hope. I think you’ll find a good number of verses that point you to Christ.

Here are a few more word suggestions to get you started: love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

• Find where I got this list.
  • What is the importance of this list?
  • What does each word in the list mean - in a biblical context?
  • How does the biblical view of these words differ from the world's view?
  • How does all this apply you our lives in Christ?

There are many ways bible software can help you answer these questions, but none as good as prayer and meditation on God’s word and listening to the Holy Spirit. I’m convicted by my own words here because I don’t do this part nearly enough.

Spend some time learning how to use Logos. Logos has several good how-to training videos on their web page. https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017433892-Logos-9-Basic-Bible-Study-Series

Find a body of believers. Covid devastated our local Churches; but God is still at work. One thing Covid did was force the Church out of the church. While I hate that some of our local churches closed and sold off their buildings a new type of Church – “microchurches” have arisen. Mostly meeting and worshiping online now, these non-traditional churches are growing because as our local microchurch promotes “wherever you are, whoever you are, you are welcome here”. Follow the Lord’s leading and he will plant you where you can grow best.

Posts 13
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2022 1:41 PM

thank you so much 

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2022 2:20 PM

josiah grace:
i struggle just getting the grasp of all these wonderful truths

Struggle is not a bad thing. Many deep truths in Scripture are worthy of much meditation and consideration of how they should be applied.

josiah grace:
I just know i want nothing to do with my old life and i have no brothers or sisters in christ to uplift me

That's one reason why the church exists. We need each other to help us grow in Christ. Sounds like it is a challenge for you to find a close one. One line options exist too although I don't think they are quite the same as in person.

Don't give up Josiah. Continue to seek the Lord!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS