Logos 10 Language Learning

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 20
JesusisKing | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 9 2022 7:39 PM

I posted this in the suggestions thread, I guess no one saw it, so I am posting it here.

I know that this is late in the game for Logos 10 suggestions, but would Faithlife consider doing an immersive language learning module of their own like Biblingo, or Biblical Mastery Academy? Maybe even a partnership with either of these companies to where they could integrate one of these programs into Logos? I know they have Mobile Ed Greek and Hebrew courses, but from my recent learning of these two programs, and the new way of language acquisition perhaps they can make way for such a program/course or module to work in tandem with the Mobile Ed Language courses. Any thoughts?

Posts 30880
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2022 9:44 PM

What would be the benefit of having this in Logos? 

EDIT: I am not quite sure I understand your suggestion. Is this for biblical languages or modern? I originally understood your request to be the latter, but the former makes more sense. 

I am unfamiliar with the organizations you mentioned. At first, I thought you wrote "duolingo." I was unsure how learning to request "milk" in Spanish was going to be a benefit in Logos. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 20
JesusisKing | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2022 4:26 PM

These two organizations   https://biblingo.org/   and     https://www.biblicalmastery.academy/   are immersive/communicative language learning sites that use science-based methodologies for second language acquisition. They specialize in the original languages of the Bible. They work to build fluency for the learner. They are a more modern approach to language education, rather than the "old, dull, and boring" way of learning.

Posts 36393
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2022 10:17 PM

JesusisKing:
These two organizations   https://biblingo.org/   and     https://www.biblicalmastery.academy/   are immersive/communicative language learning sites that use science-based methodologies for second language acquisition.

Sorry, but I know a number of linguists that would have strong objections to this particular method of language learning, while acknowledging that different students have different learning strategies. I would have to have a strong argument in order to support this; I think the current learners' version of the interlinear is more in line with the learning approaches suggested by linguists. The thing to do it to enter your suggestion on the feedback bear and see if there is sufficient interest to give it priority.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 20
JesusisKing | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2022 4:20 PM

MJ, from what I understand, the founder of Biblingo is a linguist. 

Posts 2
Nick Messmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2022 2:19 PM

Just so you know, Biblical Mastery Academy does *not* use an immersive/communicative approach or modern SLA-based methods, and they don't aim primarily at fluency. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad program, but just wanted clarify that they use a traditional Grammar Translation Method. What makes them different is their approach to sequencing vocabulary learning as well as their community.

Posts 2
Nick Messmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2022 2:22 PM

I'm sorry, but this is quite incorrect. The field of Second Language Acquisition (which is a sub-field of Applied Linguistics) pretty much unanimously advocates for a communicative approach to language learning. The traditional approach to learning Greek/Hebrew is called the Grammar-Translation Method, and it has virtually no support from modern linguists.

Posts 36393
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2022 3:40 PM

Nick, my primary concerns were along these lines:

• the mixing of the vocabulary of two separate languages as if one did not need context in the same language to determine meaning. For this reason, I prefer the Logos method of suppressing the crib notes (interlinear) but retaining the independence of the source and target languages
  • the distinction between how one learns dead languages, related languages, and conversational languages. A doubt that you would find a scholar anywhere in the world who would recommend learning the Prakrits (essential for Sanskrit dramas) in any way other than historical linguistics. Or try to learn Orkhon Turkic in a communicative approach -- only the inscriptions on a stele of this Old Turkic language survive.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS