one-off manual updates?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:30 AM

I know it may be a bit late in the game since we're already at Beta, and this may already have been mentioned, but...

Would it be possible to have the option to do downloads and indexing on a one-off basis when the "Automatically download updates" setting is turned off?  Many programs have a simple "check for updates" option in the menu.  Alternatively, what about having the option to let L4 ask first before starting a big download or indexing?

It's just that there are times when I'd like to be able to go straight into my Bible reading plan without having to give a thought to the (possible) consequences of using L4 (slow computer, slow Internet).  For this reason, I even find myself using MacSword instead, for the quick Bible verse lookups.  I am aware that I can cancel a download or pause the indexing, but it would nice if I could keep all that on indefinite hold until I really want to go ahead with it.

Apparently, the only thing I can currently do (which I haven't tried yet) is to turn on/off the automatic download feature on a periodic basis.  It seems to me that the ability to do one-off manual updates would be more favorable than permanently turning off the automatic updates altogether.

Just a thought...see, I DO want the updates, but not necessarily at THAT time when I launch L4.  :-)

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:39 AM

You can already do this by typing "update now" in the command bar. If you really must have a button for it, you can drag the option out of the command bar menu into your shortcuts bar, like I have:

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:46 AM

David Mitchell:

You can already do this by typing "update now" in the command bar. If you really must have a button for it, you can drag the option out of the command bar menu into your shortcuts bar, like I have:

Does this cause the updates to be turned back on? Or is it a temporary enabling of the update?

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:51 AM

As the title implies, it "updates now", and then does nothing more.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:52 AM

Additionally, if you wanted to have a shortcut to turn automatic updates on or off, you'd do it like this:

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:58 AM

David Mitchell:

As the title implies, it "updates now", and then does nothing more.

That is great. I had understood, misunderstood, or possibly misremembered from early L4Win Beta days that when you did this, it forced automatic updates back on. Thanks.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 9:24 AM

Cool!  Not exactly discoverable, but nonetheless it sounds like it would do the trick...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS