Problem with NET Bible Notes

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1828
Rick | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:15 PM

In the discussion at: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/21065.aspx Mark Barnes showed a picture of his desktop with NET Bible with Notes, Noteless NET Bible and the NET Bible Notes all shown separately. I've always wanted to have the NET Notes showing as a separate resource since there are so many of them and I hate taking the time to hover over everyone of them. I just did not think that it was possible. Anyhow I could not achieve this and took the following steps. I was wondering if anyone sees anything that was skipped on my part that might keep me from being able to do this. I have Scholar's Edition and tried to open up the NET Notes next to my NET Bible by clicking on the note numbers in the NET Bible but that did not work (I can open the NET and hover over notes and see them but desperately want them next to my Bible). I then visited the Logos NET Bible page and noticed that there were three files for this resource. I thought that I would download the two that I did not have on my computer into Libronix, synchronize my licenses and simply update my resources in Logos 4. Libronix shows them as locked so I knew it would do no good to attempt a sync. I emailed my sales representative asking how much the stand alone notes were, thinking that maybe the separate notes would be a different resource. The salesperson referred me to customer service. A customer service representative took remote control of my computer and manually downloaded the three files located at http://www.logos.com/products/details/4468  into my Logos 4 resources folder (Like Libronix, two of the files were not on my computer) Logos still does not see them after downloading them and updating resources etc. Long story short, she wanted to talk to someone about possibly having to somehow unlock them but the staff had already went home for the weekend. I've went for this long without having them so it won't kill me having to wait a few days, but I use the NET a lot and would rather not wait a few days Big Smile

I am attaching two pictures, one of Libronix and one of Logos 4. The page for the NET Bible has three book files (previously mentioned link) and it appears as if all of them are included in the single price, but as the pictures show, the NET is unlocked but the Notless NET and the Notes remain locked.

If anyone has any ideas could you please let me know. Sorry it took so many words to describe but I wanted to be sure to let you know what has been tried. Thanks again!

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:33 PM

I have the same problem and I have not yet taken the time to call Customer Service to have them fix it for me at their end. I think that's what it's going to take.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:36 PM

There is a stand alone version of the NET Bible Notes.  I have it. 

So, I know that it's available as a separate resource but you have to call Logos Customer Service to get it. 

If I remember correctly, it costs a little bit extra for the separate version of the notes alone, but Customer Service can tell you for sure or not.

Hope this helps.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:46 PM

I just checked on the Logos website and it appears that it is now available for free as one of 3 files you get when you download the L3 version of The NET Bible. 

At least, it looks that way.

If re-downloading The NET Bible doesn't add the separate notes, I'd give Customer Service a call.

Posts 26810
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:47 PM

Rick Hypes:
If anyone has any ideas could you please let me know.

Basically you only have the licence to NET bible with notes integrated so you have to contact Customer service about the other two.

It would help in Libronix if you go to Tools | Options | General and click the Interface tab. Tick "Use Only primary resource titles in My Library" and it will get rid of the 3x redundant NET titles.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:48 PM

The NET Bible, which is available for $19.95 and is included in many of the base packages, comes with the separate notes file and also a Bible text only file. I was told by my sales rep that everyone who owns the NET Bible should have access to all three of these downloadable files. He writes:

So I learned something about Libronix/Logos 4 that I didn’t know about, so thank you for making me learn something!

You’ll need to have Libronix installed to make this work…

If you go to the NET Bible page: http://www.logos.com/products/details/4468, you’ll see the 3 separate Libronix book files:

·         GS_NETBIBLE.lbxlls (51.03Mb)

·         GS_NETNOTELESS.lbxlls (7.92Mb)

·         GS_NETNOTES.lbxlls (45.50Mb)

Make sure you download the book-files to your Resources folder for Libronix, once downloaded, Logos 4 should pick up the new files in the Logos 4 format.

This is available to anybody who already owns the NET Bible; feel free to share it on the forums! 

But apparently the reality is that it's not working as it's supposed to be. There is evidently some unlock that needs to happen on the Logos server end. That's what I need to call Customer Service about, but just haven't gotten around to. I suspect that is the same problem for you, Rick.

Posts 1828
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:59 PM

Rosie Perera:
But apparently the reality is that it's not working as it's supposed to be. There is evidently some unlock that needs to happen on the Logos server end. That's what I need to call Customer Service about, but just haven't gotten around to. I suspect that is the same problem for you, Rick.

I thought that it would be something along the lines of an unlock but when the salesperson emailed me back and told me to call customer service I was hoping that it was something that could be fixed pretty easily. Oh well, hopefully the customer service rep will be able to work with sales on Monday and get it figured out. I appreciate your input. Yes

Posts 1828
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 7:03 PM

Stein Dahl:
If re-downloading The NET Bible doesn't add the separate notes, I'd give Customer Service a call.

Hi Stein, thanks for the response. I have talked with customer service and they were not able to resolve the issue. They have promised to get back with an answer on Monday. I was just hoping that maybe there was something obvious out of all the steps that I mentioned we took that might have been missed.

Thanks again.

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 9:38 PM

I'm not sure why things aren't working for you. I purchased the NET bible with notes along time ago from NET for my Logos, and when I open Logos 4, I can get both to work and can link them... see below

to acheive this, I first opened up the NET bible by typing open NET Bible in the command box like so

Then I went back to the command box and typed in open NET First edition notes like below and it opened up right to the verse I wanted, and displayed as I have it above... I then linked them so they both move to the same verse... hope this might help...

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 9:41 PM

BTW, clicking on the footnote number will not open up a window, only a pop up, I had to go in and open each resource separately. If you are showing both resources in your library, I would think you could do the same.... blessings, Rob

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 10:02 PM

Robert C. Kuefner Jr.:
I'm not sure why things aren't working for you. I purchased the NET bible with notes along time ago from NET for my Logos, and when I open Logos 4, I can get both to work and can link them... see below

Robert, I think that you're not experiencing this problem because you bought the NET Bible as a standalone product rather than getting it through one of the base packages. I think Logos hasn't properly set up the licenses of the base packages such that they'll unlock the notes, even though that was their intent (at least that's what my Sales Rep discovered for me after looking into it).

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:45 PM

Rosie Perera:

Robert C. Kuefner Jr.:

Robert, I think that you're not experiencing this problem because you bought the NET Bible as a standalone product rather than getting it through one of the base packages. I think Logos hasn't properly set up the licenses of the base packages such that they'll unlock the notes, even though that was their intent (at least that's what my Sales Rep discovered for me after looking into it).

Seems like I was told long ago (by maybe Hampton Keathley at Galaxie Software) that if you wanted the separate notes resource, you needed to by the standalone package.  Only the NET Bible with integrated notes was included with the Logos base package license.  I could be mistaken, but the current license configuration seems to bear it out.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:53 PM

Todd Phillips:
Seems like I was told long ago (by maybe Hampton Keathley at Galaxie Software) that if you wanted the separate notes resource, you needed to by the standalone package.  Only the NET Bible with integrated notes was included with the Logos base package license.  I could be mistaken, but the current license configuration seems to bear it out.

OK, maybe you're right and maybe my sales rep got inaccurate information when he asked someone internally about this. Maybe whoever he asked didn't realize he was asking on behalf of a customer who didn't own the standalone NET Bible, but had gotten it through a base package.

Posts 1828
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 6:48 AM

Rosie Perera:
OK, maybe you're right and maybe my sales rep got inaccurate information when he asked someone internally about this. Maybe whoever he asked didn't realize he was asking on behalf of a customer who didn't own the standalone NET Bible, but had gotten it through a base package.

It is sounding as if there has been some confusion as to what you get if you have a package or bought it separately. If / when I get the promised email from customer service, I'll post what I learn. I, personally, would not mind paying for the stand alone notes because I enjoy using the NET that much, I just hope that they can offer some sort of a discount since we already have the NET and can make it noteless simply by selecting "Bible text only" in the ring of three circles at the top of the Bible window. In all actuality we already have the NET Bible, the Noteless NET and now we just have to get the one file working.

Posts 583
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 7:18 AM

Todd,

You are correct, Galaxie produced two editions of the NET bible. One was with the notes intergrated into the bible text and was the edition that came with the libronix base package. The standalone was a seperate package purchased from Galaxie Software. That could have changed now, and perhaps all three files are unlocked if you purchased a base package that included them. But seeing as the notes standalone does not unock, it looks as if it is still a seperate purchase.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 9:09 AM

I don't want to spoil your discussion, but what about having the notes displayed in the Power Lookup tab? Just an idea.

Bohuslav

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 9:37 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

I don't want to spoil your discussion, but what about having the notes displayed in the Power Lookup tab? Just an idea.

you JUST beat me to it, Bohuslav!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 9:43 AM

Dan DeVilder:
you JUST beat me to it, Bohuslav!

That was my intention. I knew you are somewhere around... Stick out tongue

Bohuslav

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 12:56 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

This came up in another thread somewhere. The reason some of us want the separate notes file is that the Power Lookup tab only shows the first paragraph or so of each note. The NET Bible notes are often quite long and get truncated in Power Lookup. I know you can see the whole thing by clicking to bring up a popup, but it would be nice to see the entire text in a panel alongside so you don't have to keep clicking to bring up popups.

That's my reason for wanting the separate notes file. Others might just be jumping on the bandwagon without realizing why. Smile

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 1:54 PM

Rosie Perera:
That's my reason for wanting the separate notes file. Others might just be jumping on the bandwagon without realizing why. Smile

It looks to me it shows whole thing. Maybe some new feature in Beta. I would use separate notes, if they are added to the resource.  I would not pay for them separately. I paid for NET Bible WITH notes a few times already on a different platforms. So far I am happy enough with the Power Lookup. I really like by the way the new Information panel and Power Lookup also. They are just great. Info panel is even configurable. Super.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS