B4 Syntax Search Bug?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 7 2010 6:13 AM

I am not sure what is supposed to be working yet, but this is what is does on my L4Mac installation.

I can open the search and select Syntax.

There are three Greek and one Hebrew options.

I can select any of the four databases as the target.

Selecting the Hebrew data base and choosing Query resulted in an infinite spinning wheel. Had to force quit after 5 minutes. repeatable... 12075.Archive.zip

Clicking Query for the Cascadia and OpenText reveals a list of templates to use. Lexham has no choices.

None of the databases allow selecting 'new syntax search'.

Obviously none of them have and recents listed.

Selecting query is slow and has long pauses. But when the lists show for Cascadia and OpenText, I can select a template and the input box and 'go' box show up. I can enter a word, but clicking 'go' does nothing, but cause CPU to spike for a bit to 150% and higher.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 91
Seth Hewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 9:33 AM

Similarly to Dewayne, I can open the search window, select any of the 4 databases, and select query. When I select query there are templates for Cascadia, OpenText, and Anderson-Forbes, but none for Lexham. If I select a template I can put in a search term, but I cannot create a new search. Like Dewayne I have no recent searches.

When I put in a search term I don't get any response—no spinning beach balls or CPU activity indications. It doesn't appear that it does anything.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:54 AM

Seth Hewitt:

Similarly to Dewayne, I can open the search window, select any of the 4 databases, and select query. When I select query there are templates for Cascadia, OpenText, and Anderson-Forbes, but none for Lexham. If I select a template I can put in a search term, but I cannot create a new search. Like Dewayne I have no recent searches.

When I put in a search term I don't get any response—no spinning beach balls or CPU activity indications. It doesn't appear that it does anything.

In Beta 5, I still have this problem. I have tried deleting all syntax resources and re-downloaded them without resolution.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 9:01 PM

Dewayne Davis:

Seth Hewitt:

In Beta 5, I still have this problem. I have tried deleting all syntax resources and re-downloaded them without resolution.

Here are the log files after trying a search twice. I don't know what to expect. But it sure wasn't this.

160703.Archive.zip

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 10:19 AM

I hate to bump this topic, but it seems unusual to have no response. So I was wondering, is this feature supposed to be complete? Is it working for anyone at all? Or is it being looked into? Or did the post get buried in the mass of weekend posts. I could hardly keep up. It looks like the New to Logos 4 Mac page is indicating it to be working. But don't know for sure.Thanks.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 10:53 AM
I'll take a look. There have been points in the past where it was working, but it's entirely possible that there have been regressions. Syntax searching isn't exactly the most broadly used feature, so it doesn't get nearly as much action from users as other more broadly used features.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:36 PM

Cameron Watters:
I'll take a look. There have been points in the past where it was working, but it's entirely possible that there have been regressions. Syntax searching isn't exactly the most broadly used feature, so it doesn't get nearly as much action from users as other more broadly used features.

I ran a rebuild index and also trashed the package and reinstalled. Neither made a difference.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Dewayne Davis:
I ran a rebuild index and also trashed the package and reinstalled. Neither made a difference.

Syntax databases are not indexed like other resources. Searches are actually queries run against a database. Also, trashing the package will typically resolve major issues like "the app won't launch when I click on it".

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:56 AM

Cameron Watters:
Dewayne Davis:

Syntax databases are not indexed like other resources. Searches are actually queries run against a database. Also, trashing the package will typically resolve major issues like "the app won't launch when I click on it".

No problem. Just trying anything I could think of on my end. I thought I saw something in the logs about index missing at one point or another. But I am not sure.

Now when I run the query I get this, followed by the stack trace. It is consistent.

8/12/10 9:59:28 AM    Logos Bible Software 4[19086]    Could not connect the action pickProvider: to target of class SyntaxResultController
8/12/10 9:59:28 AM    Logos Bible Software 4[19086]    -[NSTextField isKeyboardFocusWithin]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x412ddf40
8/12/10 9:59:28 AM    Logos Bible Software 4[19086]    Exception NSInvalidArgumentException: -[NSTextField isKeyboardFocusWithin]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x412ddf40

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 10:54 AM
Dewayne Davis:
8/12/10 9:59:28 AM    Logos Bible Software 4[19086]    Could not connect the action pickProvider: to target of class SyntaxResultController
8/12/10 9:59:28 AM    Logos Bible Software 4[19086]    -[NSTextField isKeyboardFocusWithin]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x412ddf40
8/12/10 9:59:28 AM    Logos Bible Software 4[19086]    Exception NSInvalidArgumentException: -[NSTextField isKeyboardFocusWithin]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x412ddf40
Indeed. I committed a fix a little while ago and it'll be in the next release. It is a regression that was introduced in Beta 4.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 11:01 AM

Cameron Watters:
Dewayne Davis:
Indeed. I committed a fix a little while ago and it'll be in the next release. It is a regression that was introduced in Beta 4.

I guess you are correct. This must not be a popular feature, since no one noticed. Thank you.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 12:46 PM

Dewayne Davis:
I guess you are correct. This must not be a popular feature, since no one noticed. Thank you.

Syntax searching is not necessarily well understood by many users. I suspect its popularity is largely a function of the number of users who know how to fully leverage the feature's capabilities.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS