Zondervan and Olive Tree begin electronic publishing partnership

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33
M.J.D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 12 2010 4:24 AM

What is the deal w/ Zondervan using Olive Tree? Does this mean the agreement changed between Logos and Zondervan has changed? Will there be no more Zondervan Products on Logos?

I tried search for a thread on Zondervan that already existed but maybe there is not one or you guys want allow one but these are questions your loyal customers have.

http://www.koinoniablog.net/2010/08/zondervanolivetree.html

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 5:04 AM

Looks like they're mostly just making some of their titles available for mobile devices.  I don't see how this would effect Zondervan's deal with Logos.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 5:35 AM

I agree with Doug,  especially since Olive Tree is a handheld device software maker first.  Logos is first a deskop/laptop software maker.  Very little real overlap - more of an expansion of market for Z.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 5:53 AM

Doug:
I don't see how this would effect Zondervan's deal with Logos.

Unless Zondervan locks all their resources out of Logos mobile software... Lightning

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 6:14 AM

Not likely Paul - the Zondervan deal was cut after Logos began developing and porting for the ios.  Since ios development began, Logos has been writing in handheld (multiplatform actually) access into its contractual relationships. 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 6:18 AM

Mark Denning:
What is the deal w/ Zondervan using Olive Tree? Does this mean the agreement changed between Logos and Zondervan has changed? Will there be no more Zondervan Products on Logos?

Zondervan's deal with Logos was never exclusive. They are offering their products on a number of different platforms (I think remember seeing an announcement for Accordance too). This is a savvy business deal on their end because they can pit electronic book makers against each other to get better deals.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:23 AM

Thomas Black:

Not likely Paul - the Zondervan deal was cut after Logos began developing and porting for the ios.  Since ios development began, Logos has been writing in handheld (multiplatform actually) access into its contractual relationships. 

I was thinking this too, I wonder what the exact terms of the contract were?

After all when it comes to Zondervan (HarperCollins) the only thing that matters at all is '$$$$'

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:43 AM

Mark Denning:
I tried search for a thread on Zondervan that already existed but maybe there is not one or you guys want allow one but these are questions your loyal customers have.

Trust me on this one Mark, there are a LOT of threads related to the Zondervan /Logos deal. It is just that they are swamped in the ever-growing kudzo vine we call a forum. An aside here: Logos absolutely loves their loyal customers. And unlike other modern corporations, Logos will reciprocate your loyalty with the same love..    Now let's address your question:

Mark Denning:
What is the deal w/ Zondervan using Olive Tree? Does this mean the agreement changed between Logos and Zondervan has changed? Will there be no more Zondervan Products on Logos

When Pradis sales faltered, Zondervan first offered linking to Oak Tree software products (Accordance.) Enough public pleas and private negotiations resulted in the Zondervan/Logos agreement. To my understanding it is a contract, not a partnership. (That is a good thing for both sides.)
Here is the Zondervan anouncement of the deal from last September: http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/NewsRoom/NewsReleases/Pradis+Logos+Announcement.htm?QueryStringSite=Zondervan  Notice the titles says .."...Will License Logos Bible Software, Others"  Apparently the agreement was never exclusive. By offering their titles through Olive Tree (handheld platform) they are only expanding their availability. A little overlap will not hurt their sales.

Companies change hands (QuickVerse), reorganize (Nelson), or disappear from the scene (no comment.) Likewise, agreements & contracts usually have finite terms. I doubt Zondervan or Logos wants the lucrative agreement changing any time soon. If you are worried it might, buy the Zondervan Bible Reference Bundle (87 Vols.) http://www.logos.com/products/details/5656 while it is still available. Once you have it, it's yours. Even if they do pull future licensing, you will still enjoy your resources in perpetuity. Just ask those who have Barclay's Daily Study Bible!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:43 AM

Paul Golder:
I wonder what the exact terms of the contract were?

Devil  I'm not tellin.  Devil

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:47 AM

Matthew C Jones:
It is just that they are swamped in the ever-growing kudzo vine we call a forum.

LOL, that is the best description I've ever heard of the forums.  It may be lost on those who have never traveled to the southern United states - but funny and apropos.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 8:39 AM

Thomas Black:

Matthew C Jones:
It is just that they are swamped in the ever-growing kudzo vine we call a forum.

LOL, that is the best description I've ever heard of the forums.  It may be lost on those who have never traveled to the southern United states - but funny and apropos.

Apparently the proper English spelling is Kudzu not kudzo (like many spell it.)

For the curious & unfamiliar: http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/   Lot's of busy greenery going on. Surprise

Yes, friends, that is a vine called kudzu covering a house.

Just try to find a Zondervan thread in there!

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 8:45 AM

Matthew C Jones:

For the curious & unfamiliar: http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/   Lot's of busy greenery going on. Surprise

Yes, friends, that is a vine called kudzu covering a house.

Just try to find a Zondervan thread in there!

I was going to look for Zondervan topics, but in keeping with the tradition: Is there some theological significance to having a kudzu covered house, versus the agreement between Logos and Zondervan?Wink

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 9:08 AM

Paul Golder:
I was going to look for Zondervan topics,

Big Smile Here is some theology for you Paul, straight outta Zondervan's Logos based resources:
"Vine imagery was common in the ancient world, as in the case of the cult of Dionysos, the Greek god of wine. The Old Testament frequently uses the vineyard or vine as a symbol for Israel, God’s covenant people, especially in two “vineyard songs” found in Isaiah.478 However, while the vine’s purpose for existence is the bearing of fruit for its owner, references to Israel as God’s vine regularly stress Israel’s failure to produce good fruit, issuing in divine judgment.479 In contrast to Israel’s failure, Jesus claims to be the “true vine,” bringing forth the fruit Israel has failed to produce. Thus Jesus, the Messiah and Son of God, fulfills Israel’s destiny as the true vine of God (Ps. 80:14–17).480 The intimate relationship between Jesus and his followers has already been depicted in terms of a shepherd and his flock (John 10). The illustration of a vine and its branches, even more than that of a shepherd and his flock, focuses on the organic, vital connection between the branches and the vine. " (in Georgia font, no less!)
Arnold, C. E. (2002). Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Volume 2: John, Acts. (143). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

Check out the "Golden Vine" picture in the article! In case you don't have it, buy it here: http://www.logos.com/products/details/5606

Zondervan is alive & well in Logos 4!

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 9:25 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Paul Golder:
I was going to look for Zondervan topics,

Big Smile Here is some theology for you Paul, straight outta Zondervan's Logos based resources:
"Vine imagery was common in the ancient world, as in the case of the cult of Dionysos, the Greek god of wine. The Old Testament frequently uses the vineyard or vine as a symbol for Israel, God’s covenant people, especially in two “vineyard songs” found in Isaiah.478 However, while the vine’s purpose for existence is the bearing of fruit for its owner, references to Israel as God’s vine regularly stress Israel’s failure to produce good fruit, issuing in divine judgment.479 In contrast to Israel’s failure, Jesus claims to be the “true vine,” bringing forth the fruit Israel has failed to produce. Thus Jesus, the Messiah and Son of God, fulfills Israel’s destiny as the true vine of God (Ps. 80:14–17).480 The intimate relationship between Jesus and his followers has already been depicted in terms of a shepherd and his flock (John 10). The illustration of a vine and its branches, even more than that of a shepherd and his flock, focuses on the organic, vital connection between the branches and the vine. " (in Georgia font, no less!)
Arnold, C. E. (2002). Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Volume 2: John, Acts. (143). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

Check out the "Golden Vine" picture in the article! In case you don't have it, buy it here: http://www.logos.com/products/details/5606

Zondervan is alive & well in Logos 4!

Big Smile Yes

Posts 33
M.J.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 9:37 AM

Thank You for the explanation!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS