B6 crashes when starting

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Timothy Churchill | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 13 2010 7:18 PM

I just upgraded from B5 to B6 and tried to run Logos, but unfortunately it crashes at startup every time.

I see the SIgning In and Preparing your Library messages, then the Home screen appears for about two seconds (it does say Beta 6) and it plays the first two notes of the startup music, then Logos 4 dies completely. I tried rebooting but it didn't help.

Log files are attached.

40182.Archive.zip

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2010 8:22 PM

Welcome Smile  Posted logs does not have console messages, which should be informative - Logos4.log messages along with Mac OS X information.

From description, suspect console messages has stack trace(s), which Logos developers need to find and fix bug(s).

Forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6731.aspx has log posting tutorial (with video).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3
Timothy Churchill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 5:05 AM

Thanks, Keep Smiling!

Here's a new archive with the console messages.

I'm using a MacBook Pro (2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3) with OS X 10.6.4.

8306.Archive.zip

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 8:08 AM

Appears Home Page crashing for "LDLS4.AppModel Creating web resource sections." (compared messages with non-crashing Logos 4 Beta 6).  Also noticed couple warnings shortly before crash.

Beta 6 added startup option: while pressing command key, open Logos 4 => on sign-in screen check "use blank layout", then click "sign in"

Note: CMD+Click Dock Icon => opens Finder window with Logos Bible Software 4.  CMD+Double-Click opens Logos Bible Software 4 application => Sign-in.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 44
Douglas W. Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 10:08 AM

This solution may be more involved then you want but it worked for me.  I moved the Logos 4 program file to trash as well as the application support folder  users/(yourname)/Library/Applicaton support/logos4.  I moved the whole folder to trash.  Then I redownloaded the mac 4 beta and installed.  Of course, it had to do the download of the program and resources as well as index the machine.  However, I had lots to do visits to make so it was almost done when I got back.  Of course it could be done at night as well.  The program runs now when it would not before.

Posts 5442
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 10:56 AM

Hi Timothy

Douglas' solution might work but has two drawbacks.

Firstly that it doesn't help identify the problem. The Developers are interested in problems caused by individual resources and can usually come up with a less drastic solution.

Secondly not only is the Install - Download - Reindex a long process it might scupper any bandwidth limit that you might have on your account.

If you can, I would use the online version of Logos until Monday - that should give you access to your library  - and let the Developers have a go at a more surgical solution.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 12:21 PM

Beta 6 crashes on start for me also.

I've found a workaround that worked for me:  

• I launched Logos 4 and then held down command key while it was still launching.
  • I got the screen where I could chose to "work offline."
  • Then I went to preferences and turned off "Use Internet" and "Automatically download updates"

The problem must be in the syncing to the internet somehow, but at least I can use Beta 6 until a solution is found.

Logs attached:

71251.Archive.zip

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 3
Timothy Churchill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 12:36 PM

Levi, I think you nailed it. I tried launching with the option key and double-clicking with command, and I even tried working offline but nothing worked. But launching Logos and then pressing command to work offline did work.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 12:52 PM
Levi D.:
The problem must be in the syncing to the internet somehow, but at least I can use Beta 6 until a solution is found.
The app is crashing, as KS4J points out, when generating web sections. It's not sync, per se, but it is a crash when pulling content from the Internet.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:58 AM

Any news on a fix for this?

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 13
Paul J. Kelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 6:15 PM

Mine keeps crashing, too.  I keep calling Logos for tech help, but they do not seem to know what to do.  i allowed them to download my logs in hopes of learning what is happening, but no answer yet.  It is a bit discouraging.

Posts 45
Jason York | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 6:26 PM

hold down the command key right after clicking to open the program and you will have the option of using the program "offline" This fixes the issue, at least until they really fix it, which I am sure it will be the next beta. But, because the last beta came out on a thursday, which was not the normal monday, I don't know when the next one will be out, because it doesn't look like it will be today. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 6:56 PM

Paul Kelly:

Mine keeps crashing, too.  I keep calling Logos for tech help, but they do not seem to know what to do.  i allowed them to download my logs in hopes of learning what is happening, but no answer yet.  It is a bit discouraging.

Understand discouragement - hopefully logs already routed to Logos development pros.  If would like another set of eyes to look at logs, forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6731.aspx has tutorial for posting.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13
Paul J. Kelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 10:18 AM

Logos B7 does the same thing, but tech support says they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS