Currently using Libronix, should I upgrade to L4 for Mac?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Elizabeth Duncan | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:26 AM

I used to use Logos for Windows until 2 years ago when I got a MacBook Pro.  I've used Libronix since then.  I am really interested in the new features of Logos 4 for Mac and hope it is a lot more like Logos for Windows that I used to run, but I am not sure if I should wait to get it until the final version is released. 

One specific feature I miss is the ease of copying Bible verses into Word documents that Logos for Windows has. Does the current L4 Beta version do this well?

Also, I am do not have more than a basic computer knowledge.  If I get L4 beta version, will I be "in over my head" dealing with technical problems that I don't understand? I can deal with updates and follow the instructions for the download and conversion, but beyond that.  I'm not sure what I'll be able to do.

Any recommendations for whether I should go ahead and move to L4 for Mac or wait until final release?

Thanks!

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 8:43 AM

Go and watch the video on this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6731.aspx

If it seems like something that you could do if things go wrong, then you're ready for the beta. Logos 4 is far, far more capable (and usable!) than anything you've used on Mac or Windows, and it does have the ability to copy Bible verses directly into Word.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 2
Elizabeth Duncan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 8:56 AM

Thank you! That was very helpful!

Posts 82
David L Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 12:32 PM

Elizabeth:

I have been using L4 for the Mac since the very early alpha releases. At first I continued to use either Libronix or the Windows version of L4 since the Mac version feature set was incoomplete. But for the last six weeks or so I have used L4 for the Mac exclusively. The feature set is pretty complete, and while there are still some bugs to be quashed and some performance tuning to be done, the program is generally very stable and more than adequately usable. I have been telling my students that they should go ahead and make the change, and I am comfortable offering you the same recommendation.

-- dla

Posts 2691
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 4:03 PM

I'm still evaluating it myself, but I have to say it's so awfully cool, it's really a no-brainer as far as being worth an upgrade. It's not if for me, but when. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 4:11 PM

Don't even hesitate. Though still in Beta, Logos 4 Mac is functionally stable for virtually all operations. There are one or two issues around memory leak and sound, but it is all I use for sermon preparation every week without any problems.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 16
Charles Hedrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:15 PM

A couple of weeks ago I would have said yes, but the last couple of betas have started crashing consistently. I'd wait for things to stabilize. I'd expect that to happen fairly quickly.

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:23 PM

David Mitchell:
Go and watch the video on this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6731.aspx

If it seems like something that you could do if things go wrong, then you're ready for the beta. 

I think this is excellent advice. I would also say that you need to be willing to actually do the actions in the video on regular basis. There are still plenty of bugs and feature additions (and hence, new bugs) that you need to have the patience to participate in the process. If not, then I would say hold off.

Another option would be to check out biblia.com... it might well function as a backup plan for when things might not work. Many/most of the resources in your Logos4 Library and bible versions are available there online once you sign in. It's a pretty sweet deal (i.e. free) and a nice backup as a "reader" and it is easy to copy and paste from into Word or Pages (just no auto-citation in the paste).

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:43 PM

I have two words for you:  ABS OLUTELY 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS