Thoughts on proper Cursor Display for Beta

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:26 AM

So I've noticed that outside of links the cursor does not respond properly in Logos 4 Mac just yet. For example you don't see the hand pointer icon when the cursor is over a tab or selection resource other than a link as far as I can tell. Also, when selecting text you don't receive the standard text select cursor.

Any thoughts from the dev team on when these details can be expected. It should improve the feel of the application considerably.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."

- Psalm 19:14

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 8:44 AM

Changing the cursor to a hand is something that is typically only done for links on the Macintosh. We have no plans to deviate from the established conventions at this time.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 9:46 AM

Your right, the hand pointer is not typically used. However, their are some applications that offer a hover interaction for main UI elements. For example Mail (though not the best execution) has a hover for all the main UI elements in the top level navigation. The Adobe Creative Suite also has a hover state for many of their tabbed UI elements. They also use the hand pointer cursor from time to time, though admittedly inconsistently. I would love to see some sort of hover state for the tabs in Logos 4 to aid in discoverability.

My main concern isn't with any of this, it's really with text selection. Apple applies the text select cursor throughout the system when the user clicks to select copy. They also use a different shade of blue for selected text and change that selection to grey when the window looses focus.

Just some thoughts.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 9:59 AM

I just realized that the title of this post "Thoughts on proper Cursor Display for Beta" could sound pompous. That was not the intent. It was more asking the question "what is proper" than stating "these are"... :)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS