Need Scholarly Advice

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 54
Larry Quinlan | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 21 2010 10:32 AM

Hi to all,

I own the Leader's library and have an "itch" to upgrade to the Scholar's library. My price would be about $275. A large part of what I would be gaining over what I already have would be "Original Language" books and tools. I only have a 4 year bible college degree and do not have a woking knowledge of Greek and Hebrew--so I'm definitely not a "scholar." That being the case, my question is--to those who have access to the Scholar's library content--would I be able to use many of the books without a working knowledge of the original languages, or would I just be wasting my money? Would I be better off using the money to buy specific books rather than upgrade? ($275 doesn't go very far that way...) I have Wuest's (included in Scholar's) on my bookshelf but would love to have it in Logos. Wuest's is accessible without knowing Greek and I was wondering if many of the other books and/or the "Bible Word Study" databases would be similarly accessible and beneficial. Since I can't "demo" the content before purchasing, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 10:55 AM

Hi Larry,

I wouldn't particularly consider myself a scholar, but I started out with Logos in June '09 with the Scholars Gold package and then upgraded to Platinum with the introduction of L4 in November 2009.

Looking at the comparison charts, the big differences between Leaders and Scholars is in the features and databases sections and the inclusion of TDNT. In my opinion, both these additions are worth the prize of the upgrade alone.

Having said this, and again, this is just my opinion, the real differences come with the upgrade to Silver or Gold. I note that the Silver includes Keil and Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament and the NAC, both of which I still find really helpful. The Gold also includes the UBS Handbooks and the NIGTC series, both of which are uniformally excellent (in my opinion).

Having said this, I don't know what your upgrade price is (for Silver and Gold) and only you know your circumstances and needs at the present time. Even if you cannot make the leap to Silver or Gold at this stage, it will help bridge the gap should your circumstances and needs change in the future.

In summary, I have not regreted upgrading (albeit to a different package) and the benefits in your circumstances seem well worth it.

God bless,

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 10:55 AM

Actually, a lot of the original language stuff is very accessible in Logos to any user. If you right-click a word in a Bible version that has a reverse-interlinear (like the blue covered KJV), it shows you the Greek/Hebrew word the English translates, and lists original language lexicons where it can be found. Click on the lexicon you want, and it takes you directly to that word's definition in the lexicon. So you would have some limited use of the original language tools.

Furthermore, you will gain commentaries and other books that will be worth a whole lot more $275 that you'll pay.

Grace be to you.

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 11:19 AM

Andy Evans:
Gold also includes the UBS Handbooks

Concur Scholar's Gold upgrade better deal than purchasing UBS handbooks ($799.95) - product pages have some samples:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/1904

http://www.logos.com/products/details/1782

Discussing Scholar's Gold or Platinum upgrade with Logos user who currently has Scholar's Silver (knows alphabet letters, but not language) - UBS handbook content is primary motivator for upgrade - have appreciated many cross cultural illustrations of context important for translation.

Currently Logos upgrade discounted => http://www.logos.com/upgrade

By the way, Logos offers monthly payment option.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 11:54 AM

The Scholar's version is the first version that has all of the base software features. I would think you might want to look less at the books (in your particular case) but instead the features. In particular the features that give you access to what would otherwise require strong original language skills:

• Syntax Search
  • Complete Bible Word Study (adds Preposition Digrams, Textual Searchs, Example Uses, Grammatical Relationships, etc.

Then there's the non-language related elements:

• Text Comparison
  • Version Comparison
  • Visualizations (i.e. chart/graph/picture showing word distribution over the whole of scripture)

Of course, there's the content pieces that further enhance these program features that are included. 

If you're trying to do a real cost to benefit analysis, I think you'll very clearly find that upgrading base packages is ALWAYS cheaper if you use about 1/3 of what's included (i.e. it seems, in my case, to avg out to a 66% discount).

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 12:38 PM

Mike S.:
The Scholar's version is the first version that has all of the base software features. I would think you might want to look less at the books (in your particular case) but instead the features.

I would agree with Mike's assessment. I had Bible Study Leaders for Libronix 3 which I used before I was an employee and I thought it was sufficient for what I did. Although I have some seminary training, I don't have any formal original language training. After I started working at Logos, I got a copy of Scholars Gold, and I can definitely say that all the added features make a difference. Bible Word Study is *so* much more useful in Scholars and higher packages even without the formal training. Not to mention the added books....

I also picked up a copy of Learning Biblical Greek and Hebrew to further my personal study of the original languages.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 48
David Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 2:55 PM

Larry Quinlan:
so I'm definitely not a "scholar."

Yet.

My degree is in computer science and don't have the bible college degree. However, this is not stopping me from learning biblical greek.

So, upgrade and then start using the original language resources -- meaning the grammars and various things to learn them. The journey is fun, challenging, frustrating, rewarding, insightful.

iMac 21.5 inch • iPhone 3GS 

Software Engineer καὶ μαθητῆς τοῦ λόγου τοῦ θεοῦ

Posts 5528
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 3:08 PM

Mike S.:

The Scholar's version is the first version that has all of the base software features. I would think you might want to look less at the books (in your particular case) but instead the features. In particular the features that give you access to what would otherwise require strong original language skills:

• Syntax Search
  • Complete Bible Word Study (adds Preposition Digrams, Textual Searchs, Example Uses, Grammatical Relationships, etc.

Then there's the non-language related elements:

• Text Comparison
  • Version Comparison
  • Visualizations (i.e. chart/graph/picture showing word distribution over the whole of scripture)

Of course, there's the content pieces that further enhance these program features that are included. 

If you're trying to do a real cost to benefit analysis, I think you'll very clearly find that upgrading base packages is ALWAYS cheaper if you use about 1/3 of what's included (i.e. it seems, in my case, to avg out to a 66% discount).

Excellent assessment Mike.    These are the real benefits of the upgrade.  Try the upgrade tool suggested, and consider a payment plan to see if that then fits into your budget.  Even if you get Scholars now, then in 12months when you complete your payment plan on that you can consider going up to the next level or Silver or even Gold.  After 12 months you'll probably be hungry for more and ripe to get the next level upgrade.

Posts 2
David Kaplan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 9:00 PM

Hi Larry,

My name is David Kaplan and I work at Logos. Please fell free to call me and I will go over all of your options with you, and answer all of your questions. Just call me at 1-800-875-6467 and ask for extension 2304.

Blessings,

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS