Dazed and Confused...

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Joseph | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 23 2010 2:32 PM

Ok, great software guys, but I'm completely new to this and I've got a multi-part question.  The website is a bit overwhelming and I haven't seen answers to this question (maybe it's just me).  Here goes:

I think that I may want the Bible Study edition of Logos.  However, ultimately I hope to be studying Greek (via Dr. Mounce's materials).  Could I start out with the Bible Study edition and then over time add (purchase) additional books etc. in Greek to add to my Logos?

Is there a tipping point for adding in more and more books?  In other words, if one starts out in the Bible Study edition and keeps adding materials, do they ultimately end up spending more than if they had just gone for the next version up?

Are there tools that are necessary with Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic texts that would not be available in the Bible Study edition, and that would not be available as an add-on to the Bible Study edition?

You see my general drift here?  How extensible is the tool for someone who plans to get highly technical but isn't there just yet.... and doesn't have the 1000-odd bucks to go with the higher editions?

Thanks in advance!  And Praise God for your work -- this stuff looks phenomenal.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:00 PM

Joseph. For all the plans you have I would recommend to start with Scholar's Edition at least. Of course you can add any resources as time goes and you need them. However the end price will of course be higher than if you buy a bigger base package right now. But that is understandable. What you should know is that Logos offers a payment plan, so you can have a bigger package, more suited for the original language studies, and pay little by little every month.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum Joseph.

Bohuslav

Posts 5129
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:09 PM

Go ahead with the Bible Study package...and then save up and buy the biggest base package you can afford. Don't waste money buying resources that will be in the package you eventually get, whether it be Scholar's, Gold, or Portfolio. Get what I'm saying...if you get Bible Study now, you will NOT do yourself any favors by trying to build off of that package with the ambitions you say you have. Bible Study gives you the reverse interlinears, so you can make do with that for now. But if you want to do original language study, bite the bullet and leapfrog up to the base package that appears to have what you want at a price you can swing. Trying to turn a Bible Study package into a Scholar's package by buying one piece at a time is not fiscally sound. I can't say for sure, but I suspect Logos will give you some credit if you decide to upgrade your base package...contact a rep to confirm that.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:10 PM

Joseph:
I think that I may want the Bible Study edition of Logos.  However, ultimately I hope to be studying Greek (via Dr. Mounce's materials).  Could I start out with the Bible Study edition and then over time add (purchase) additional books etc. in Greek to add to my Logos?

Sounds like a good start, check out Mounce's website for pretty comprehensive materials (including video, ppt), but if this is the route you're going down, I would suggest three things:

1. Get up to Scholars ASAP - It has program level features in Bible Word Study that will help you once you get past Chapter 14
  2. Get yourself a great Flashcard system (whatever works for you... Mounce's website has prepacked sw for the vocab, but I needed more)
  3. Get the package "Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software" -- It will really help you use the software ASAP and your Mounce courseware will only be enhanced when using Logos.

Joseph:
Are there tools that are necessary with Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic texts that would not be available in the Bible Study edition, and that would not be available as an add-on to the Bible Study edition?

You see my general drift here?  How extensible is the tool for someone who plans to get highly technical but isn't there just yet.... and doesn't have the 1000-odd bucks to go with the higher editions?

I would strongly suggest against trying to add base package content by hand, you'll spend a bundle more doing that. You may want to wait a month or two and save up for the scholar's version (or try payments if it really fits in your budget) or at least the original language version if your goal is greek studies. 

I would say there are two "tools" that are "necessary":

1. NA27 with Morphology 
2. Your favorite English bible translations with Interlinear

I don't think the Bible Study base package has #1, you're better off buying a package that does then individual content. The rest beyond that (at your level) is value-add until you get to the next level.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:15 PM

Hopefully you have already viewed the Comparison Chart on the Logos site.

View the section Original Language Grammars and Tools

And the section Features and Databases

These sections are used to dig deeper into word meanings. (e.g. original language stuff).

Scholars Library is the basic starting point to get most of these tools.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 5531
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:33 PM

Joseph:

Ok, great software guys, but I'm completely new to this and I've got a multi-part question.  The website is a bit overwhelming and I haven't seen answers to this question (maybe it's just me).  Here goes:

Welcome Joseph, this is the place to ask questions.

Joseph:

Adding individual resources is an option that is avaiable and you could go about it this way but.....

Joseph:

Is there a tipping point for adding in more and more books?  In other words, if one starts out in the Bible Study edition and keeps adding materials, do they ultimately end up spending more than if they had just gone for the next version up?

You are correct in your thinking that there is a point at which it becomes better to go up to the next level package. There is no magic formula as it will depend upon your personal interests but given you want to explore the Languages then upgrading packages is the best option for you.  Wen you are ready to upgrade to the next level package check out http://www.logos.com/upgrade It will calculate a special price for you based on what you already own.  When you upgrade to a higher level package you also have the option of a payment plan where you can split the payments over a time period of up to 12 months.

Joseph:

In the long run there are tools that you would need to get the most out of Logos Bible Software for working with Original Language texts.  The package that gives you all the essential tools is the Scholars package, both in terms of access to the original language texts and the supporting tools.

Joseph:

Don't be disheartened at all. Lots of people start of with Bible Study Library move up through the package levels over time. And remember you can use payment plans so you don't have to shell out the full amount of money at once.

In terms of what you've got now in Bible study libary you already have the following lexicons that you will meet your needs for now:

Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Aramaic, by James Swanson
Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Greek, by James Swanson
Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Hebrew, by James Swanson

You will hear lexicons like BDAG (Greek) and HALOT (Hebrew/Aramaic) being spoken about as the best and they are but are better options when you are comfortable working with the languages rather than when you are starting out.

Since you mention your interest in Mounce materials you might want to add his Expository Dictionary to your Library. 

http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/MOUNCEEXPDIC

If you are looking for any grammars to add into your Logos Library then I would recommend you take a look the following to start.:

Kairos: A Beginning Greek Grammar & Workbook  Mounce's Grammar is not at this stage in Logos and if you wanted to get something to use alongside Mounce's Grammar, or even before you get into Mounce's Grammar, this is a good option for beginners. When learning something new I like to look at multiple sources. Others find it better to stick to the one.

If you decide to look at Hebrew then take a look at: The First Hebrew Primer: Textbook, Answer Book & Audio Companion

Just remember to check out http://www.logos.com/upgrade and then see what the upgrade price will cost you on a payment plan.

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:33 PM

If you can't afford Scholar's right now but want to get started with something and with learning the Logos UI, go ahead with Bible Study for now. I'm pretty sure that the upgrade price from one base package to the next is the same as the difference between the costs of the individual base packages, but you should check with Logos Sales on the phone when you order it to be sure. Ordering by phone with Sales gives you access to any special deals that are not mentioned on the website, so I'd recommend going that route and always ask them for the best price they can offer you.

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 4:55 PM

Joseph,

In case it's not been 100% clear from the previous posts, if you can purchase Bible Study now, and upgrade to Scholar's later, the total cost you pay will not be much more (if any) than buying Scholar's now. So, if you can't afford and don't need Scholars yet, then you can wait until you can afford it. (You could check with Sales now now much they'd charge for that upgrade at the moment.)

I'd echo the other advice here, though. It's almost always worth upgrading your base package rather than buying individual resources,

Finally, it's worth noting that there are discounts available on base packages. Just Google, or ask Sales.

<edit>Sorry, Rosie's post hadn't shown up when I wrote mine. Great minds think alike, heh?</edit>

Posts 5531
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 5:04 PM

Mark Barnes:

Joseph,

In case it's not been 100% clear from the previous posts, if you can purchase Bible Study now, and upgrade to Scholar's later, the total cost you pay will not be much more (if any) than buying Scholar's now. So, if you can't afford and don't need Scholars yet, then you can wait until you can afford it. (You could check with Sales now now much they'd charge for that upgrade at the moment.)

I'd echo the other advice here, though. It's almost always worth upgrading your base package rather than buying individual resources,

Finally, it's worth noting that there are discounts available on base packages. Just Google, or ask Sales.

<edit>Sorry, Rosie's post hadn't shown up when I wrote mine. Great minds think alike, heh?</edit>

They do indeed Mark.  No posts had shown up when I started compiling my post, got a bit distracted and when I finally posted it Joseph has lots of good advice.

Posts 1814
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 5:16 PM

Joseph:

Hi Joseph. Welcome to the forums! Yes, there is definitely a tipping point. I'll give you my example. I currently own Scholar's edition. I am currently in the process of converting as much of a library from another software product to Logos that I can, as I can. Maybe one day Logos will be the only program that I use but right now that is not 100% the case. Right now I am working on getting the New American Commentary ($499.95), Early Church Fathers ($249.95) and Keil & Delitzsch ($119.95)  in Logos. These were major purchases in the other program and the prices I quote are from the Logos web site. Total cost for these separately $869.95. In all honesty, with such a large purchase I could call sales and probably get a pretty good discount but it would still be really expensive OR I can upgrade to Scholar's Silver for $333 and get all three of these plus a whole lot more resources that I don't own in either program! The price of an upgrade would still cost about half or even less of buying the three resources separately with a salesperson's discount. I probably won't use some of the resources that I'll gain (definitely not a scholar and only a lay person). I'll be doing this next week and am very excited about some of the new resources that I'll have in Logos.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS