L4 on netbook?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 23 2010 6:58 PM

Hi. I know this has come up a few times, but I thought it would be easier starting a new thread.

I'm looking to replace my laptop, which I've found to be rubbish since the day I got it. It's a Centrino 2.0ghz, 1.5gig ram, no graphics, 60gig HD running WINXP. I've found L4 to be really, really painful on it, even after getting past the home screen. Especially when I have a 3.16ghz Dual Core running 4GB Ram with 512mb graphics, 1TB HD and WIN7-64bit for a desktop.

I know I can get a quad-core laptop for around $1,000 or less which may even rival my desktop (!). But I do like the portability of a netbook (especially when the iPad has been a bit of a flop!). But, if a netbook is going to be just as painful as my laptop, I don't want to know about it. I'll get a laptop.

If you've played with L4 on simular spec machines, can you give me an idea of performance. Thanks!

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 7:14 PM

I suspect you will have the same frustrations. I have an acer aspire netbook that I use once in a while that can handle L4, but there are a lot of delays. It works fine for reading and notetaking, but searches are slow and the graphics performance is really lacking. I only have 1 Gb of ram installed in it, but I suspect if I maxed it out at 2 it would not imporve the performance that much. In your situation I would go with the new laptop.

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 7:22 PM

Thanks

Posts 150
Victor Ulloa M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:36 AM

I have installed L4 on an Acer Aspire with 1Gb RAM, then upgraded to 2Gb.  No noticeable difference.  It's my "electronic book reader", because anything but reading is really slow (searching, switching blibles, even take notes).

So I use this netbook just for read.

Posts 2249
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 10:21 AM

I use Logos 4 on my Acer netbook, with 2 gig of ram.  I do almost all my study on it. To help with the performance issue, I go through the passage guide step by step, trying to open too much at once, will slow one down, so I will open the commentary section, first then others as i need them.

I use my desktop computer at home to download new resource updates and index on that machine, then I use method two from the wiki page and transfer those new resources to the netbook, or else the indexing takes a long time.

Switching layouts in not that long. About 20 seconds for me, it used to take a whole lot longer to get up from the table in the library and go search for the next series of books I would bring back to the table for study. and if someone did not re-shelf the book correctly, it could take even longer to find them.

I mainly use the Ipad for reading resources when sitting at the soccer field during practices, etc.

Posts 50
Ron Newberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 5:12 PM

what os are you running?  XP?  W7?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 5:33 PM

I'm on a Latitude 2100 with 2gig on Windows7. Cost me a bit over $300. I wouldn't say L4 is 'hot'. But I do most of my research on it. At any given time I have about 24 resources open and connected. Searches aren't a problem as long as the results aren't huge (search time is quick; draw time forever). Word studies are responsive. I don't use the notes feature since it is indeed slow. Given 5-6 hours on battery and light to carry, I like the tradeoff.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2010 12:52 AM

Hi. I use Logos on my Samsung NC10. To get better performance I:

• Upgraded it to 2gb RAM
  • Replaced the hard disk with a 500GB 7200 rpm disk.

For me this gets reasonable performance but, as others have indicated above, there are delays and it's definitely worth restricting how much Logos4 tries to do...

If you have a large library, opening the Library window can take time - I have a personal workaround for this using the COM API and an application I have written that directly accesses the Logos4 catalog database, but it's a long way off being ready for me to distribute and, if I do, I might restrict the public version to 'officially sanctioned' COM-API usage...

Anyhow, if your patience level is good then Logos4 is ok on a netbook. Just...

Andy

Posts 134
Joel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2010 2:17 AM

I just installed it on my Eeepc 901 (1gig ram). Sometimes it takes 30 seconds to launch, and sometimes a few minutes. But, once it's up and running things generally happen after a 2-4 second pause. Scrolling around books is smooth, which is nice, and the whole interface is decently fast even when the cpu is underclocked via powersaving. I'm happy with it compared to L3, which was faster in some areas and slower in others.

I just wish I had more space on C: so I could hibernate :)

Posts 42
Jason Forbes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 29 2010 10:53 PM

Thanks for your input guys. That's a big help. Looks like I'll be buying a full size laptop then.

Posts 171
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 3:47 PM

Hey friends,

I initially put this up as a separate post but then realized it should probably be in this thread instead. If any of you would like to comment on the hardware configuration of these two subnotebooks, I would appreciate it. Here's the link to "Affordable Laptop Suggestions" http://community.logos.com/forums/t/73102.aspx

Thanks!

Mark Nigro

Pastor/Teacher/Student/Writer

www.calvarychapelbiblecollege.com

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS