Why is the Mac Version so Slow? 8/25/10

Page 4 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 74 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 8:28 PM

John Graves:
Hey guys sorry but I don't know how to do the logging
 Many months ago, watched video in forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6731.aspx for couple minutes to learn logging process.  After watching video, added Logging folder to Finder sidebar (like Apple Pro Tip => http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/sidebar_dock.html)

Essentially, process is experiencing an issue in Logos (e.g. slowness or crash), saving current copy of Console Messages with Logos log files, compress all files, then post to appropriate forum thread.  Personally create folder inside Logging - delete previous Logos log files - recreate issue - move Logos log files to folder, save console messages copy into folder, compress folder, and post archive file along with description how to recreate.

For some issues, screenshots very helpful.  Apple Pro Tip for screen capture to clipboard => http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/secretcapture.html  Then use Preview => File => New from clipboard (paste contents - annotate as desired with arrows, ovals, and text - save as PNG for forum posting).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 91
Seth Hewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:22 PM

Just another data point. The slowness I see is in trying to scroll a resource. I notice this most often with linked Bibles, particularly if linked resources have visual filters. The logs and layouts.db I'm including tonight show the same delay with a book, not linked except "link to other panels" to highlight scripture references. In the 3 attached screen shots you can see the processor histograms at the top, with one of the two processor cores pegging the top during the scroll and the CPU at >100% usage. (I'm using a logitech wired notebook mouse with scrollwheel.) This is typical behavior I get when scrolling, not all the time, but the majority of the time. Computer is a MacBook Pro 5.1 (late 2008), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB ram, running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I think Tom asked someone earlier if they were running any special mouse software. I'm running the Apple MagicTrackpadMultiTouchUpd1.0, but that should only affect the trackpad, not the mouse. No other programs were running at the time other than Console and Activity Monitor. Let me know if you want/need any more information.

One other thought: Use Internet was ON. Usually it is not. (I can't tell that this makes a difference.) This afternoon I downloaded updates and reindexed all the resources, so the installation should be clean.

Thanks for all you guys are doing!

Seth

3808.Archive.zip

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 10:42 AM

I am having the same issues. The program opens fine, but as soon as I try to do anything (i.e. right-click a word, resize a panel, resize a window, scroll, open a book, etc... I get a beach ball and have to wait and wait. I have looked at my Activity Monitor and it registers Logos4 taking well over 100% of my CPU (at times it reaches 174%). I even upgraded to 8GB of RAM in hopes that would help, but it hasn't changed performance at all. Much faster to run in Parallels. I am attaching my log files for help.

07350.Archive.zip

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Chuck Lindsey:
Please tell me if I have this totally wrong.
So, rather than ignore this question entirely, I'm just going to be lazy. The answer is: the essential core of your description is incorrect. David Mitchell covered this pretty well here. The fourth paragraph is the one most-applicable to your question.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 153
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 5:58 PM

It seems to me that L4 Beta 11 (just out today) has largely fixed this issue! Great job Logos Team! Thanks for listening.

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:11 PM

Beta 11 has fixed my syncing problem, thanks guys.

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 2:00 PM

WOW! Just wanted to add my voice to those that are experiencing a tremendous difference in Beta 11! What a difference! Thanks soo much guys.

Posts 18
Gavin Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 2:16 PM

Wow--really--don't know what you did in Beta 11, but the speed increase is unbelievable!

Thanks for the great work.

Gavin

Posts 4
Matt Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 2:59 PM

Hi all,

Unfortunately Beta 11 hasn't fixed it for me. Logos for Mac chews all my CPU and takes around 3-5 minutes to load a passage that I search for. It's basically un-usable but I love the software from a features point of view so I'm hanging out to get the performance that most people seem to have from Beta 11!

I've done a full index rebuild but it seemed to just make it worse. Could I have a corrupt index or something?

My Specs:

Mac Book pro
3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

- Launching Logos: ~40 secs, of which 20 secs is watching the sinning rainbow flag before anything appears inside the Logos window

- Scrolling the bible text is always painfully slow

- It's slow with "Use internet" on and off

- When searching for a passage (eg. "Judges" in the search bar) it will take about 20 seconds to do anything and the spinning wheels in the Passage Guide will take about 3-5 minutes to all finish spinning.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:10 PM

Matthew Powell:

Hi all,

Unfortunately Beta 11 hasn't fixed it for me. Logos for Mac chews all my CPU and takes around 3-5 minutes to load a passage that I search for. It's basically un-usable but I love the software from a features point of view so I'm hanging out to get the performance that most people seem to have from Beta 11!

I've done a full index rebuild but it seemed to just make it worse. Could I have a corrupt index or something?

My Specs:

Mac Book pro
3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

- Launching Logos: ~40 secs, of which 20 secs is watching the sinning rainbow flag before anything appears inside the Logos window

- Scrolling the bible text is always painfully slow

- It's slow with "Use internet" on and off

- When searching for a passage (eg. "Judges" in the search bar) it will take about 20 seconds to do anything and the spinning wheels in the Passage Guide will take about 3-5 minutes to all finish spinning.

If you can post up your logs in a new thread I bet the devs will take a look at them and see what is going on. They looked at mine a few releases back and pointed out some resource tidying I could do. This took my install from unusable (on a very stout Mac Pro) to smooth like butter. There are instructions on log posting at the top of this forum.

Posts 4
Matt Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:16 PM

Thanks Robert, I'll do that now.

Good to hear that it should be solvable. Hopefully they code it to handle that automatically for users in the future, as Mac users in general won't put up with PC-like performance ;-)

Posts 1
Carey Gear | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:17 PM

New install of Logos 4.  Experienced Mac user on MaBook Pro with 8 GB RAM.  Full index completed.  This program is just too slow and unresponsive.  Can't bring myself to use it until some significant improvements are made.  The worst thing is that the program becomes a distraction when I'm trying to study the Bible.  Simple things like scrolling...clicking are lagging so much I am 3 or 4 steps down the line before the program responds.  No other program on my computer acts this way...including some pretty resource intensive specialty voice dictation and graphics apps.

Posts 33
John Featherstone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 1:43 AM

yes, same experience. I kept the 3.0e or g version as a backup, and still use that most of the time. 4 is the future, the features are phenomenal, the auto update, auto install, indexing, are all great. But I can't use it in a "live" Bible study with other people, because it's just too slow and i want to.  I run it online, offline, and inline (ok, ok, maybe not that). I love the feature sets, the layouts, the way the extra information pops into a box on the side as the cursor runs. The features are just brilliant, but it's got to get faster

Posts 10
Scott Aniol | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 10 2010 2:03 PM

I have the same problem. Everything is VERY slow - scrolling, loading, moving windows, etc.

Here are my logs:

74348.Archive.zip

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 10 2010 6:44 PM

Scott Aniol:

I have the same problem. Everything is VERY slow - scrolling, loading, moving windows, etc.

Here are my logs:

74348.Archive.zip

Please see forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/24208.aspx (same set of logs posted in 3 threads)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 4 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS