Greek Question

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 30 2010 6:18 PM

I am not a Pastor, seminary student, nor have I studied Greek.

I do like learning though, so when I use my Logos 4, I am interested in following the Greek.

In Matthew 10:1 for example, it says "And he called to him, his twelve disciples...."

Upon checking the word "called" it shows the greek letters, προσκαλεσάμενος in the little window, which lists: Surface, MSS, MSS TRL, Lemma, Lemma TRL, Morph, Strong's, Louw.  I can see under the MSS TRL, that the word is in english alphabet, listed as proskalesamenos.

What I want to do, is copy the word in english, so I can paste it into my Bible study notes (as a reminder to me, on how to pronounce it).

Is there a resource I am missing in my library, which allows me to do this?  I notice that of the items listed, only a couple are bolded, I assume showing available: Strong's and Louw.  So is there a module, which would provide the MSS TRL for me to access the word, or is there another way?

Thanks.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 6:45 PM

If you right click on the word in an interlinear Bible and choose manuscript on the right side of the popup.  (Then already have a resource like BDAG open somewhere in your layout.  If you don't have BDAG you will have to experiment with the lexicons you have).  Then select search all open resources on the left of your popup.  Then from the search results open the BDAG result by clicking on the left.  You will then have the word your looking for highlighted.  That is a hyperlink.  Click on it and BDAG will open and your word will be highlighted.  Highlight it and drag it into your notes.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 6:52 PM

oops.  That would still give you the word in Greek.  Sorry.  The word your looking for is not the lemma or basic form of the word so it is a little harder to find.  I'll keep looking or perhaps someone knows how off the top of their head.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:00 PM

A word in Greek that is written in English letters is called the transliteration.  The Net Bible Notes has this available.  If you follow the above procedure you can find that word and many others transliterated.  There may be a better way, but this is the only one I am aware of.

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:05 PM

One possible way...

If you look up the Greek Lemma in the Enhanced Strong's Lexicon (ESL) you can see the transliterated word there.

Then you can select copy and paste the transliterated Lemma from that resource ESL.

To get to the ESL you can right click on the English word in the Bible text

choose Lemma from the right side of the context menu

then choose Enhanced Strong's Lexicon from the left side (bottom)

This assumes that you have the ESL and that it is prioritized in the Prioritization List

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:13 PM

Dan,

It sounds like you're already doing this, but to highlight it for others: you can at least SEE the transliterations by using the interlinear display and making sure transliteration is turned on.

After that, all I can suggest is that you retype the translit where you want it, as I don't see any way to copy it automatically.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5812
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:13 PM

Dan Sheppard:

So is there a module, which would provide the MSS TRL for me to access the word, or is there another way?

An alternative method to Jerry's approach is use the inline interlinear.

1. Click on Dispaly

2. Check the box inline and ensure the only other option checked in Manuscript(Transliterated)

Your screen will now look like this:

3. Right click on the manuscript in the main section of your bible i.e. proskalesamenos and make sure on the right hand side the menu 'Selection' is active.

4.  Click on copy.

5. You can now paste in your WP

To return you bible to normal, simply click on display again and uncheck inline.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:49 PM

Thomas, perhaps you could write the first transliterated Bible and give the rights to it, to Logos in exchange for their complete library.  

Posts 5812
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 8:13 PM

Jerry M:

Thomas, perhaps you could write the first transliterated Bible and give the rights to it, to Logos in exchange for their complete library.  

If he can do it without the remembering they've already done it I say go for it.....unless of your your talking about the TBV (Thomas Black Version) Transliterated Bible.. they don't have rights to that one yet...

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 8:41 PM

( I guess I meant a Bible that you could drag the transliterated word into your Logos note file per the O.P.)

Posts 5812
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 9:01 PM

Jerry M:

( I guess I meant a Bible that you could drag the transliterated word into your Logos note file per the O.P.)

Okay.. Gotcha,   My answer was a slight tanget to what the OP asked, thought he was talking about a WP rather than note file..  Embarrassed  You are correct it does not work with a note file even though it works with a WP.  I'd still use that method though for myself in note file as in reality I would want the translation, manuscript and transliteration and would then just delete the extra info I didn't require.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 9:12 PM

I guess I didn't read the O.P. close enough, as he did say copy and paste.

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 9:14 PM

Thanks for all the help.

Now I have gone and learned something new!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS