Copying with citations

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Matt McCraney | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:44 PM

I just bought my first mac and downloaded Logos 4.  I cannot for the life of me seem to figure out how to copy anything from logos to ipages and have the program automatically cite it with a foot note.  I don't know if it is a pages issue or a logos issue.  

Please someone help!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 8:05 PM

Welcome Big Smile

(1) Highlight Bible text in Logos

(2) Copy - Edit Menu => Copy OR command+c (keyboard shortcut) OR right click => Copy

(3) Switch to Pages (click dock icon)

(4) Paste: Edit Menu => Paste OR command+v

Screen shot shows highlighted ESV verses that have been copied and pasted into Pages '09 document with footnotes and citation:

Forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/22279.aspx has copy and paste discussion

Apple has Mac 101 web site => http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/work/

Also Apple has Pro Tips web page => http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4
Matt McCraney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:42 AM

thanks for the reply!

That's what i've been doing, but still no luck.  Are you opening pages within logos?  is there something special I need to do inside of pages or logos to make this work?

I've already checked the system settings in logos to make sure citations are checked.

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:48 AM

In Preferences there are two options to copy citations and footnotes. Make sure they are checked and I think that should get you going.

EDIT: oops, did not read your full reply. You tried that. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Posts 4
Matt McCraney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:51 AM

update:

I got it to copy the Bible verse citations but it won't copy the citation for commentaries and other book resources.  Does logos for Mac just not do that?

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:54 AM

It should copy for commentaries and other works as well. It does for me. Are you right clicking, then select "Selection" on the right side of the pop up menu, then "copy" from the left side. That should do it.

Posts 4
Matt McCraney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:02 AM

yeah, i'm doing that too.  It takes the paragraph into pages, but just won't include the citation

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 8:47 PM

Matt McCraney:

yeah, i'm doing that too.  It takes the paragraph into pages, but just won't include the citation

Wonder which commentaries do not include citation ?

Can replicate issue - copy from UBS A Handbook on Exodus then paste does not include citation - in contrast copy from Pulpit Commentary then paste does include citation.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 9:00 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
copy from UBS A Handbook on Exodus then paste

It works for me. Weird.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 9:20 PM

Michael Paul:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
copy from UBS A Handbook on Exodus then paste

It works for me. Weird.

Living and learning - paste into Microsoft Word 2008, Open Office 3.2.1, and Open Office 3.3.0 Beta 1 has footnotes and citation while Pages '09 does not:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6
David Thew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 4:28 AM

I have the same problem with Pages '08.  It has never documented footnotes though they are selected in preferences.

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 4:37 AM

David Thew:

I have the same problem with Pages '08.  It has never documented footnotes though they are selected in preferences.

If memory serves, this was identified as a problem with Pages, not Logos.

Posts 6
David Thew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 4:47 AM

Thank you, Jack.  I am downloading Open Office now.

Posts 526
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 3 2010 9:35 AM

I had the same problem on a PC, using both OpenOffice and MS Word 2003.  However, I found that copying from a commentary resulted in no footnote if the number of characters (including spaces) was 50 or less.  If the number was greater than 50, a footnote was included.  Personally, I would prefer no limitation.  But there you go.

John D.

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 3 2010 11:46 AM

John Duffy:
I found that copying from a commentary resulted in no footnote if the number of characters (including spaces) was 50 or less.

I had never noticed that before. Thanks for the information.

John Duffy:
Personally, I would prefer no limitation.

I agree

Posts 191
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 8:47 AM

My copy is much more than 50 characters, still no citation.

I'll keep digging in the forums as to how to get citations to work for non-Bible resources..

Jacques

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 10:37 AM

Jacques:
My copy is much more than 50 characters, still no citation.

Jacques, This thread is almost 2 years old. You will probably get better results by creating a new thread.

Into which application are you attempting to paste text copied from Logos? Just tried Pages 08, and no footnote was created. However, in Word 2008, proper footnotes were created. I do not have the latest version of Pages, so I cannot tell if that one works or not.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS