Sugg, Allow us to set a driver resource

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 2 2010 8:44 AM

I would like to be able to set a driver resource when linking resources.  For example, I'd like to set up a workspace where commentaries followed a selected bible but did not change the verse selection when I scrolled the commentaries.  This would be especially helpful with commentaries and study bibles.  Sometimes when a commentary has an overview section but not a item on a specific verse, it will force the bible text to jump to the first line of the book or paragraph.  I'd like to avoid this. 

Thanks

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 8:52 AM

Mike W:

I would like to be able to set a driver resource when linking resources.  For example, I'd like to set up a workspace where commentaries followed a selected bible but did not change the verse selection when I scrolled the commentaries.  This would be especially helpful with commentaries and study bibles.  Sometimes when a commentary has an overview section but not a item on a specific verse, it will force the bible text to jump to the first line of the book or paragraph.  I'd like to avoid this. 

Thanks

Not a bad suggestion. Variations on this idea have been made from time to time.

This is one of the reasons I don't link commentaries (except for the study-Bible type) to my Bibles. I may use the linking feature to bring the commentary to the correct spot, but then I immediately disable the link. I've been doing this since linking was possible (back in the 2.0 days, I think).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 9:00 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I may use the linking feature to bring the commentary to the correct spot, but then I immediately disable the link.

Hey, I do too.

I think Logos seriously needs to consider the request(s).  It would make linking much more useful.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 9:18 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I may use the linking feature to bring the commentary to the correct spot, but then I immediately disable the link

I use this workaround too, expecially when i have several resources linked for an in-depth study.  Zondervan used to have linking like this and I recently reinstalled and updated another software program that does it as well(they recently released two commentary/resource sets that Logos doesn't have rights too and their latest software version now has this type of linking).  Turning a link on and off as needed works ok.  I do like to link a study bible and a shorter commentary set (like the EBC) to a bible version for daily reading (to answer quick questions that I have while reading) and this type of linking would make that much smoother.

Posts 32973
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 11:27 AM

Mike W:
I would like to be able to set a driver resource when linking resources.

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 11:32 AM

Mike W:
I would like to be able to set a driver resource when linking resources.

Yes! This would be an answer to the frustration I had this morning with half-dozen commentaries open, but jumping all over the place when I scrolled one of the commentaries. I finally unlinked them all, but this "driver" idea would fix that.

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 11:51 AM

Mike W:
I would like to be able to set a driver resource when linking resources.  For example, I'd like to set up a workspace where commentaries followed a selected bible but did not change the verse selection when I scrolled the commentaries.
This is actually a NEED.  I think it should probably be an option, but it's a NEEDED option, IMHO.

I can't tell you how many times I've lost my place - with all of my linked resources - when I just wanted to read a little bit more in a commentary, and scrolled down to read it. 

The ability to set the Bible as the "driving" resource, for instance - and not allow scrolling in the commentaries to change the focus of the study - would help immensely.

Yes I agree 100% with this one.  Good suggestion, BTW.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 12:10 PM

+ another one here.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3810
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 12:35 PM

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3810
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:30 PM

Curious follow-up to this question.  I just noticed that the when I try to set a link set for "Copy Bible Verses", it includes an option to "Follow" - other resources do not.  What is this supposed to do compared to other resources.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:32 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Curious follow-up to this question.  I just noticed that the when I try to set a link set for "Copy Bible Verses", it includes an option to "Follow" - other resources do not.  What is this supposed to do compared to other resources.

Other tools windows (like Power Pookup and Explorer) have "follow" also.  It just means they sync with whatever is current active window--whatever window you've last clicked on.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:55 PM

+1 for the umpteenth time.  Smile  Is this on the User Voice selection?  Lol, I am an MVP and I don't know where to access that.  (and that's only the beginning)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:11 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Is this on the User Voice selection?  Lol, I am an MVP and I don't know where to access that.

http://logos.uservoice.com

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:19 PM

This has been suggested before and I heartily agree...it would be a nice addition to L4 functionality.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 5806
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:19 PM

Mike W:

Thanks

Yes

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:28 PM

Mike W:
a driver resource when linking resources

Wordsearch has this function and I agree that it is needed here too.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/17039/128935.aspx#128935

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:36 PM

Dan DeVilder:
Is this on the User Voice selection? 

It is now.

Posts 5806
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:52 PM

Clinton Thomas:

Dan DeVilder:
Is this on the User Voice selection? 

It is now.

Vote added.... must say though I've just about reached my limit of being able to sacrifice votes.  As Rosie suggested the other day check where you have your votes assigned.   If there to items that have been started, particularly those well under way in the current 4.1 beta please consider moving them to great productivity ideas like these so they no longer go under the radar.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:55 PM

Rosie Perera:

Dan DeVilder:

Is this on the User Voice selection?  Lol, I am an MVP and I don't know where to access that.

Gracias, mi amiga.  Why is the link to this relatively obscure.  You'd think there would at least be a link from the forums or wiki, wouldn't "you"?

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:55 PM

Rosie Perera:

Dan DeVilder:

Gracias, mi amiga.  Why is the link to this relatively obscure.  You'd think there would at least be a link from the forums or wiki, wouldn't "you"?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS