Plain text for Copy Bible Verses?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 20
Andrew Mackie | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 6 2010 3:41 AM

Hi,

Thanks for Logos 4.0D - it's great.

On the Copy Bible Verses function there's a plethora of useful styles to paste to - HTML, MS Word, Open Office, etc - but could we also have a 'plain text' (with font information removed) option in a future version, please? 

Thanks,

Andrew

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 4:02 AM

Andrew Mackie:

On the Copy Bible Verses function there's a plethora of useful styles to paste to - HTML, MS Word, Open Office, etc - but could we also have a 'plain text' (with font information removed) option in a future version, please? 

This ability is there already. Apparently none of the sample built-in styles have been set up with this option, but you can create your own custom Copy Bible Verses styles. If you put in the following codes, it will remove all font and formatting info and you'll be left with plain text:

%NoCharFormatting
%NoParFormatting
%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes

See http://wiki.logos.com/Copy_Bible_Verses for more info on creating your own CBV styles and documentation on what all the codes are.

Perhaps it would be good if "Plain Text" were one of the built in styles in a future release. But in the meantime, you can create your own.

Posts 27258
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 4:03 AM

Does Copy to Other not achieve your purpose eg. it will still allow a style to be pasted to a text editor?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 4:19 AM

Rosie Perera:

If you put in the following codes, it will remove all font and formatting info and you'll be left with plain text:

%NoCharFormatting
%NoParFormatting
%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes

As an example, here is one I made:

%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation
%NoCharFormatting

=Header
<p>

=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]

=Footer
<p>[FullPassageRef] </p></p>

It gives the following result:

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

James 1:19–21

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 20
Andrew Mackie | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 4:25 AM

I had played previously with %NoCharFormatting (a few versions of Logos back) but found it did not work (which was probably my fault). This time it has, so thank you all - it's much appreciated. 

Posts 72
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 8:23 AM

i notice you mentioned openoffice, but i can't see this in my options. do i have to turn it on somewhere?

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 8:28 AM

Hi Andrew

It's an option in the drop-down menu as below:

Does this give you what you need?

Graham

Posts 72
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 5:19 PM

i'm using mac L4 and it seems that's not available yet, or not present in my version. is this standard in windows, or did you turn it on somehow? I may check with the mac developers

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 11:12 PM

Hi Andrew

As far as I know this is standard on Windows - I didn't do anything to turn it on.

Graham

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 1:42 AM

This is a great feature.  I've created a custom CBV style, but still cannot get it exactly right.  I'm trying to put the quotation in line with the paragraph text, and don't want any new lines when it is inserted, so that the text after it continues in the same paragraph.  Yet, despite using the code below which has all <p> removed, it always inserts a new line after inserting the Bible verses.  Any ideas?

%NoCharFormatting
%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header

=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]

=Footer
” ([FullPassageRef], [Version])

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 2:33 AM

Hi John

I have just tried your style and it works for me as you are looking for!

Graham

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 3:27 AM

Graham Criddle:
I have just tried your style and it works for me as you are looking for!

Hi Graham, I'm using Word 2003.  I've tried converting this:

text Romans 7:25 text

which results in this:

text “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin. ” (Romans 7:25, ESV)
 text

I'm clicking the Copy and Paste.  But if I click Copy and then paste it in Word, the same results with additional font change.  However, if I 'Paste Special' as 'unformatted text' in Word it appears without inserting a line break after the quotation.

What version of Word and operating system are you using?

It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have it work.

Thanks

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 4:31 AM

Hi John

Sorry I had misunderstood what you were looking for - I see it now!

I see the same behaviour

Will try and look at this more later.

Graham

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 9:25 AM

Hi John

I've been looking at this and can't find anyway to do what you are looking for - outside of the mechanisms you have already described.

Sorry about that

Someone else may have some insight.

Graham

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 10:36 AM

Graham Criddle:
've been looking at this and can't find anyway to do what you are looking for - outside of the mechanisms you have already described.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for trying.  It's not too much work to delete the additional line break, but it would have been nice not to have to.  Although it's strange that it isn't added when doing a Paste Special with Unformatted Text.  Maybe my move to Office 2010 in a week or two (when I get some work out of the way first) will be different than Office 2003.

John D

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 11:29 AM

John

FYI - I am running Office 2007.

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS