Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 27
John D. Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2009 11:52 AM

We are currently only offering Bible Study Magazine in print. But we do have plans to make back issues available for Logos.

Bob said in a blog post last year:

“For the digerati among us who’ve given up on print and read everything from a screen, we’ll eventually have the magazine content available electronically for Logos Bible Software. In the meantime, though, we hope to use the power of print to reach a new and larger audience whose horizons we can expand and whose curiosity we can pique.” (http://blog.logos.com/archives/2008/07/why_a_print_magazine.html).

--John Barry

Editor-in-Chief of Bible Study Magazine

Posts 67
Brian Whalen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2009 3:02 PM

I just started my subscription a few months back, so i would be interested in back issues.

Brian Whalen

http://www.mcnazarene.com

Posts 27
John D. Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2009 3:17 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE AR-SA MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

You can purchase some of the back issues of Bible Study Magazine at the below links:

Nov-Dec 2008: http://www.logos.com/products/details/4737

Mar-Apr 2009: http://www.logos.com/products/details/4953

May-June 2009: http://www.logos.com/products/details/5258

July-Aug 2009: http://www.logos.com/products/details/5378

Unfortunately, we sold out of the Jan-Feb 2009 issue.

I hope you enjoy the previous issues, as well as the current one.

--John

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2009 7:36 PM

I was an initial subscriber to BSM. I have to say that from the first issue I wondered who the target audience was. A mix of interviews with well-known Christians usually NOT talking about Bible study, some scholarly musings on various subjects, and almost no, NO, information on actual study of the Bible.

I concluded I was not in the target audience after a year. I passed around copies to people in my congregation who study the Bible and none of them found it valuable and would not subscribe. I am now a former subscriber.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2009 7:53 PM

I'm with Mark. I was curious about the magazine and subscribed, but I have let my subscription run out. I found some articles interesting, but just haven't seen enough that makes me interested in renewing.

Posts 346
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2009 8:42 PM

Bob Pritchett:
My goal for BSM is to be like BAR: approachable and interesting to the person with little understanding of the field, while still useful and interesting to the expert, too

I'm now on my 2nd issue, and have not seen anything that I can be critical towards. While I take my studies into a more in-depth style, I enjoyed reading about Piper and his approach when he comes to Scripture (Psalm 119:18 ) .

18Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. Psalm 119:18 (ESV).

I'm already thinking about using this tool/magazine as a ministry to get others more interested in studying Scripture, like for example the two young boys I've prayed for over the last 5 years who came to receive Christ not too long ago and are hungry to be in the word. It's also a great coffee table item for guests to pickup and read, or maybe stimulate Godly conversation.

Great resource!

Ralph

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2009 2:39 AM

Mark A. Smith:

I was an initial subscriber to BSM. I have to say that from the first issue I wondered who the target audience was. A mix of interviews with well-known Christians usually NOT talking about Bible study, some scholarly musings on various subjects, and almost no, NO, information on actual study of the Bible.

I concluded I was not in the target audience after a year. I passed around copies to people in my congregation who study the Bible and none of them found it valuable and would not subscribe. I am now a former subscriber.

Although I was not an initial subscriber, in every other way my experience has mirrored Mark's. Mostly fluff with a few strange "scholarly musings". When my subscription expires, I will not renew.

Jack

Posts 87
David Emme | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2009 8:47 AM

Mark A. Smith:

I couldnot agree more even though I will probably renew my subscription. When I first got saved as a young teenager I thirsted to understand the bible which takes one into bible study. As big as my church was, no one seemed to care to teach young people how to study the bible or really anyone. I just thank the Lord I fell into some good company such as the first person who truely discipled me and Pastors in Baptist churches who on our midweek services(which usually something like this would be done in a Sunday school) twaching sound concrete principles in how to study the bible.

When I first started reading aftergetting saved, I mainly stuck to the New Testament. I sometimes wander if someone would have sat down with me and explained types and antitypes, I preobably would have read the OT a bit more and had a better, fuller understanding.

I understand the fluff in this magazine and as I stated previously, write about some methods and techniques for the beginner as well as the more seasoned saints.

Got the latest issue and have not had a chance to read it, but basd on past articles-what is often missing is principles for bible study. The first one drilled into my head very profoundly is context, context, context. The more I hear and read from other Christians and pastors, this is much needed as witnessing how many times someone ripped a verse or phrase out of context. Whole cults and sects have started based on a mis-understanding of ripping a verse out of context.

I do not know how many times I bumped up against someone who isa Church of Christ believer and go to Acts 2:38 to prove their doctrine. Of course, my questions seems to put me at odds with them such as when the 120 were filled or baptized by Christ into the Holy Spirit, did they actually have to get wet or was this something else? Quite a few times I was told it was water Baptism unti I pointed out it happened in Jerusalem, in an upper room, and all got baptized at the same time-who was doing the water baptism? Then when the 3,000 got water baptized, where in the confines of the city of Jerusalem was a body of water to baptize the 120 at one time and then 3,000? Much of this comes from reading and understanding the text in plain English-make observations.

When I see sports figures, actors, and Christian rock bands-I gained nothing from them. Perhaps maybe to encourage people tostudy and read the bible is what these are for. Except one thing:I think it is a natural desire to study and understand the bible once redeemed. Am not saying this determines your state with God. Yet, most young Christians(including myself) despite all our faults-often I have witnessed people wanting to devour the word of God.

In reality, I do not think many care what some famous person does. I would rather hear from a pastor who does a great job preaching the word to start giving principles he uses to study.

After waking up from a coma and shrapnel scars in my left eye which prevented me from reading for a time, I made my dad buy the largest print bible he could find. Did not work out at the time, but went to the bible on audio.

Now, my intention is not to compare my desires with others. Just that in viewing others and in my own experiances-we will desire the word of God. Getting started and knowing what to do and how to do it is what I believe is he biggest obstacles that prevent people from actually studying and reading.

I hope others do not see me as a "Bible Study Magazine" basher but a critique from a subscriber and Logos lover

Dave Emme

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2009 2:16 PM

"Mostly fluff with a few strange 'scholarly musings'."

That sums in up for me. I'm sorry, I really respect Logos, but the magazine certainly misses the mark with me, though I will admit I'm not in the camp where the articles will be more appreciated.

Posts 67
Brian Whalen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2009 2:47 PM

Perhaps they need Bible Study magazine for milk drinkers, and Bible Study magazine for meat eaters?  Of course no sane marketing person would call them that, but you get the idea.

Brian Whalen

http://www.mcnazarene.com

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2009 3:01 PM

BrianWhalen:
Perhaps they need Bible Study magazine for milk drinkers, and Bible Study magazine for meat eaters?  Of course no sane marketing person would call them that, but you get the idea.

I'm a meat eater and the magazine isn't for me. I haven't tried it out on those I'd consider milk drinkers, but I don't see the appeal. I hope I'd be wrong.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2009 8:20 AM

Bob,

I really appreciate the work that has been put into Bible Study Magazine. I do have one request, and that is for larger type. I realize that increases the cost, however, 8 point type is extremely hard on my 67 year old eyes. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2009 6:44 PM

BrianWhalen:

Bible Study Magazine for milk drinkers could be better named   Garden Dweller's Edition Wilted Flower (as in Eden: vegetarian?)

Bible Study Magazine for meat eaters could be called the   Post-Diluvian Edition Pizza

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 197
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:15 PM

I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments about BSM.  Today I ordered a back copy so I could see for myself because subscribing for a year.  One would assume that a mag named "Bible Study Magazine", would concentrate on that topic, and I assume it does.  I, too, do not need or want to know how the world studies God's Word, but, I would enjoy reading how real Christians approach it.  Logos has helped in this area, although I am sort of new to their product, and still learning to use the Bible Study Library.  Can't wait for the Thayer's Greek Lexicon to get finished.

Posts 134
Esther Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 6:03 AM

RalphMauch:

I'm already thinking about using this tool/magazine as a ministry to get others more interested in studying Scripture, like for example the two young boys I've prayed for over the last 5 years who came to receive Christ not too long ago and are hungry to be in the word. It's also a great coffee table item for guests to pickup and read, or maybe stimulate Godly conversation.

Great resource!

Ralph

I'm probably somewhere in the target area of this magazine.  So for what it's worth, let me give a perspective:  those of you who have gone to college and got all the bible study methods and understandings, and Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic shouldn't expect this magazine to keep on doing that for you.

I, too, have appreciated having BSM as a replacement to DJ.  I miss DJ's art, as I am a musician and believe that great art is just as important to discipleship and worship as words are.  When I read the first issue I received, I realized that it had some interest for me, but would even be more interesting for friends who do not even comprehend my level of bible study interest, let alone the depth of interest some of you have.  I am hoping that they will be fascinated by what they find in BSM, and I plan to pass my issues on to others who might be inspired to do more bible study because of it. 

With that in mind, pictures are going to be a big draw...sorry, you fellows who just want words, words, words; those who need this knowledge are more visual and need pictures to help explain.

I would appreciate, for my own sake and the sake of those I plan to pass the magazine on to, more explanation of basic hermeneutics and bible study principles.  The whole "context" thing, for instance, is so important, that it ought to be pointed out specifically, as well as used as a technique in the articles (as it is now).

I don't mind too much the "celebrity" articles, but frankly, the people I would pass these magazines on to won't know them any better than they would know Piper, Washer, or the "dead guys".  So the articles could be from/about any of these categories and it would be just as effective.

Hope this was a helpful review from someone within the "great unwashed" camp instead of the "great bible studiers" camp.

besiderself

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS