Different Lexicon

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 132
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 12 2010 3:19 PM

Whenever I click on the Strong's number in my reverse interlinear, the system always retruns the Enhanced Strong's Lexicon.  I desire to have it default to DDB.  Is that possible?

Posts 32997
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 3:36 PM

Donald McNeeley:

Whenever I click on the Strong's number in my reverse interlinear, the system always retruns the Enhanced Strong's Lexicon.  I desire to have it default to DDB.  Is that possible?

Look in the wiki or the videos for prioritization. That will show you how to set your defaults.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 3:41 PM

The answer can be found in understanding and using prioritization.

Mark Barnes has created a prioritization tutorial to help to understand this part of the software.

He also has an advanced tutorial for prioritization.

Other tutorials

Posts 132
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 5:20 PM

Thanks and as the attached file shows, I have done that and yet the Strong's Number still renders to the ESL.  I seem to be doing something wrong ... any assistance will be appreciated.

Posts 656
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 5:27 PM

The advanced prioritization hasn't always worked for me. I have changed mine (switched the LXX with Logos Morphology to the LXX Lexicon from BDAG which is my prioritized lexicon), but it has yet to work. 

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 6:16 PM

Donald McNeeley:
Thanks and as the attached file shows, I have done that and yet the Strong's Number still renders to the ESL.

Don, I'm sorry to be dense but tell me what resource DDB is.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 132
Donald McNeeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 6:24 PM

Sorry about my typing skills ... I meant Brown-Driver-Briggs (BDB) Hebrew-English Lexicon,

Posts 132

Sorry about not sending the file

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 6:37 PM

Donald McNeeley:
Sorry about my typing skills ... I meant Brown-Driver-Briggs (BDB) Hebrew-English Lexicon,

No problem, but you have identified what the issue is. The BDB is not keyed to Strong's Numbers. You can't get there from a Strong's number.

If you open advanced prioritization for the BDB you'll see the following:

There would have to be a listing 'Hebrew Strong's Numbers' in order to be able to link from a Strong's Number to this resource. You can get the same info by clicking on the 'information' icon (the circle with the small "i" in it) on the BDB resource bar. Look down to "Indexes" which tells you what terms are indexed in Logos:

You see the same list (with Page added). This resource is not indexed by Strong's Number. You can only get there by double clicking on a Hebrew word (if BDB is your top prioritized Hebrew lexicon) or by right clicking on a Hebrew word, selecting 'Lemma' and looking for BDB on the left pane (it has to be in your top 5 prioritized Hebrew lexicons to show up).

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 6:53 PM

As a follow-on, you can do a bit of a work around by linking your Enhanced Strong's Lexicon to the BDB. That way when you jump to a new entry in the ESL the BDB will attempt to follow. Lexical forms are not always the same between the two so BDB might not jump along with the ESL. In the example below I jumped to the ESL entry from the interlinear and BDB followed. Not perfect, but could help you.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5395
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:17 PM

Yeah...I was think along the same lines...how would clicking a Strong's number get you to BDB? Kinda like wondering why the NY subway won't take you to Miami. Would be nice...but you would prolly need a magic wand to make it happen. And it you had a magic wand, why would you bother with the subway! Stick out tongue

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 19263
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:35 PM

David Paul:

Yeah...I was think along the same lines...how would clicking a Strong's number get you to BDB? Kinda like wondering why the NY subway won't take you to Miami. Would be nice...but you would prolly need a magic wand to make it happen. And it you had a magic wand, why would you bother with the subway! Stick out tongue

You could get there by subway, but you'd have to get on at Platform 9-3/4. Wink

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS