Highlights

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Phil Gibson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 13 2010 2:33 AM

Hi.  I was wondering if there was a way of showing/filtering all the highlights I had set under a particular category.  Say I have a highlight I have created for the Faithfulness of God.  Is there any way I can show all these highlights?  I know I can use the locator panel to skip on to the next highlight - but that just shows the next highlight whatever the colour etc.

Thanks,

Phil G, South Wales

Posts 5904
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:04 AM

Hi Phil, at this point in time there is not a way to show all these highlights.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:27 AM

There is a way... but it's not a good one.

If you open up the search panel you can restrict a search to just a specific highlight style

Then run a search for * . This is the wildcard search. However, Logos is not optimized for wildcard searching that finds every instance of that highlighting. This search could run for many minutes

Posts 5904
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:25 AM

Kevin Becker:

There is a way... but it's not a good one.

If you open up the search panel you can restrict a search to just a specific highlight style

Then run a search for * . This is the wildcard search. However, Logos is not optimized for wildcard searching that finds every instance of that highlighting. This search could run for many minutes

I was thinking the OP was asking for inline filtering of  the resource ...personally don't use the search approach because I find it takes many, many minutes to get a result.  I hope there is some sort of optimisation to this process in a future release to make it an option I can feel confident in recommending to people, and of course be able to use it myself because it would be handy.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:34 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
I was thinking the OP was asking for inline filtering of  the resource ...personally don't use the search approach because I find it takes many, many minutes to get a result.  I hope there is some sort of optimisation to this process in a future release to make it an option I can feel confident in recommending to people, and of course be able to use it myself because it would be handy.

I don't use the search approach either. It's very cumbersome. But the more people who find it cumbersome might translate into more users asking Logos to code a solution.

This issue isn't just related to finding a particular highlight, but for those who want to change the color of specific types of links i.e. make Bible links "pop" more in lexicons.

Posts 4
Barry van der Merwe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 6:20 AM

Thanks for asking the question and double thanks for all the replies. I would certainly vote that Logos find a solution since Highlighting (and especially for Bible Study purposes) is an integral part of what Logos was designed for.

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 8:03 PM

Kevin Becker:

But the more people who find it cumbersome might translate into more users asking Logos to code a solution.

Yes, please.

When I first discovered the checkbox for searching the highlights, I was very excited - a feeling that dissipated rather quickly upon doing a wildcard search. I assumed Logos had crashed, it took so long, and I forcibly restarted the application. I've since realized that these searches do work, but they can be measured in minutes and not fractions of a second.

I'm actually curious what the behind-the-scenes issue is with wildcard searching - is someone able to give a good explanation (that's not over-the-top technical) for what's going on that slows wildcard searches down so badly?

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 9:44 PM

You can create different highlighting palettes for each of your different categories of highlighting (instead of having different highlighting styles within the same palette), and then you can turn them on and off independently from the Visual Filters menu:

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS