Hermeneia is newly available for download, and on sale for 50% off!!

Page 2 of 7 (131 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 130 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 8:05 PM

Damian McGrath:

Rosie Perera:
I've just been told by my Sales Rep that $598 is the best price ever offered, even better than it was in pre-pub. The 40 volume pre-pub price was $500, and the 3 volume upgrade pre-pub price was $129.95.

I wonder what happened to the claim "The Pre-Pub price today is the lowest price you’ll ever pay"....

Will we see other sets reduced to less than the pre-pub price?

I wouldn't mind having the opportunity to buy some other titles and less than pre-pub prices. Wink

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 8:28 PM

MJ. Smith:

Dominick Sela:
I know the Ethiopian Orthodox treat it as orthodox. I thought it fell out of favor with the Jewish.

I would suspect that in Israel, at least, there has been pressure to join with the rabbinical canon. But I really don't know much about Israel's treatment of the non-rabbinic schools - Samaritan, Karaite and Falasha being the groups I know of.

Samaritans are not considered Jews. They consider themselves to be the original Israelites.  Their canon is only the Hexateuch so Enoch is out of the question. The Karaites used to be the largest group in Judaism in the middle ages. Very few of them are left. Their canon is the Hebrew Bible: they disregard the Mishna and Talmud. Enoch is not in their canon. As for the Falasha (which we call Jewish immigrants from Ethiopia) I don't know.

The Rabbinic pressure (relevant if at all only to the Falasha) is mostly in performance of rites like observing the Sabbath and not in what people should read or believe. The pressure is only until the Falasha are recognised as Jews and therefore allowed to immigrate to Israel. The Karaites suffer from the Rabbinic institution because they are not allowed to marry "Jewish" citizens but as far as I know this does not depend on anything they do or believe. The Samaritans are not Jews they too suffer no pressure they don't marry anyone out of their community (or they get kicked out of it) which leads to genetic problems and their diminishing number.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 8:39 PM

Rosie Perera:

I've been waiting for this one for a while because $1200 was just too much to shell out, and it was available on CD only. But I just noticed today on the "new ebooks" feed (http://www.logos.com/ebooks/new) that it has just been released as a downloadable product. And they've slashed the price to $598!

Hermeneia (43 vols.)

The publisher offers new packages that includeThe Odes of Solomon and the Continental Commentary with a 50% discount. 

Posts 15
Randall Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:07 PM

Thank you for keeping the rest of us informed, Rosie...been wanting this one for a while, now!  Also, thanks for linking a sample from Amazon; it was tremendously informative.  Always enjoy your posts...blessings.

Posts 9111
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:43 PM

David Knoll:
The publisher offers new packages that includeThe Odes of Solomon and the Continental Commentary with a 50% discount. 

Interesting. I count 62 volumes that will be in this new release with the addition of the Continental Commentaries.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27059
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:53 PM

David Knoll:
Samaritans are not considered Jews.

You are quite right. I slipped them into the group because they are related in the issue of canonicity. I also omitted the Jewish groups in India because I don't know of sources to verify when they historically lost contact (if ever) on the issue. Although I don't remember where I learned that the Falasha accepted 1 Enoch, I did check with Wikipedia ... not the most reliable source but what I had at hand. Unfortunately, Logos still doesn't provide a full research library at my fingertips.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 497
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:23 PM

Mark A. Smith:
Interesting. I count 62 volumes that will be in this new release with the addition of the Continental Commentaries.

Mark, where are you finding this information?

Posts 18782
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:43 PM

Greg Masone:

Mark A. Smith:

David Knoll:

I don't find any mention of Hermeneia in the same page as Continental Commentary series on either Augsburg Fortress or Fortress Press websites. But assuming such a package deal exists somewhere, I actually count 63 volumes: 43 for Hermeneia + 19 volumes of Continental Commentary + The Odes of Solomon. There's also a new Hermeneia volume available that we don't have in Logos yet: Psalms 3: A Commentary on Psalms 101-150, which, if it were included, would push the total up to 64 volumes. (It's actually hard to compare the volumes we have in Logos with the volumes available on the Augsburg Fortress website as there are a lot of discrepancies in the two lists.)

Posts 2709
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:46 PM

Damian McGrath:

I wonder what happened to the claim "The Pre-Pub price today is the lowest price you’ll ever pay"....

I was wondering the same here! I don't begrudge folk who have got a great bargain price deal, that being said, what about the Logos Pre-Pub Price claim? Is this the new way forward - just asking?

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 18782
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:50 PM

Ted Hans:

Damian McGrath:

I was wondering the same here! I don't begrudge folk who have got a great bargain price deal, that being said, what about the Logos Pre-Pub Price claim? Is this the new way forward - just asking?

Ted

Economies change. If we're in a recession, lots of prices are going to drop. If someone is getting it for less than what you paid for it in pre-pub, consider that it's still probably the same or more in terms of buying power if you take the overall deflation into account.

Posts 2709
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:56 PM

Rosie Perera:
Economies change. If we're in a recession, lots of prices are going to drop. If someone is getting it for less than what you paid for it in pre-pub, consider that it's still probably the same or more in terms of buying power if you take the overall deflation into account.

Thanks Rosie for your take on this blessed womanWink(got a good deal). So this is the new way forwardStick out tongue.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 18782
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:05 AM

Ted Hans:
So this is the new way forwardStick out tongue.

Well, let's hope that the new way forward is that the economy recovers. But I guess people need a wee bit of incentive in these tough times to buy expensive commentary sets...

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:21 AM

Ted Hans:

Damian McGrath:

I don't begrudge it either. I have had a lot of use out the Hermeneia commentaries since I received them 3 1/2 years ago. My use has exploded since they became available on my iPad this week.

Nevertheless, if the claim quoted above from the Logos site is no longer true, it should be removed.

Posts 5176
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:22 AM

Rosie Perera:

Greg Masone:

Mark A. Smith:

David Knoll:

I don't find any mention of Hermeneia in the same page as Continental Commentary series on either Augsburg Fortress or Fortress Press websites. But assuming such a package deal exists somewhere, I actually count 63 volumes: 43 for Hermeneia + 19 volumes of Continental Commentary + The Odes of Solomon. There's also a new Hermeneia volume available that we don't have in Logos yet: Psalms 3: A Commentary on Psalms 101-150, which, if it were included, would push the total up to 64 volumes. (It's actually hard to compare the volumes we have in Logos with the volumes available on the Augsburg Fortress website as there are a lot of discrepancies in the two lists.)

Agree I dont' see any all encompassing package either.  I do see a new package incorporating Odes of Solomon, but Psalms 3 has a release date of June 2011.   On neither of those site do I even find a Logos/Libronix package for Continental only single volume prints... Given Odes of Solomon is in the publisher's package but not the current on Logos website I would recommend to  hold off ordering till the newswire comes out and there is some further clarification of what is happening...

Posts 18782
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:41 AM

Damian McGrath:

Ted Hans:

Damian McGrath:

I don't begrudge it either. I have had a lot of use out the Hermeneia commentaries since I received them 3 1/2 years ago. My use has exploded since they became available on my iPad this week.

Nevertheless, if the claim quoted above from the Logos site is no longer true, it should be removed.

It appears they have removed that quote ("The Pre-Pub price today is the lowest price you’ll ever pay") from the pre-pub page and most of the pre-pub product description pages at the time they revamped the descriptive text about pre-pub pricing when we complained it was inaccurate now with the new full-priced pre-pubs from Baker. But I found two product description pages where it is still lingering: http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5204; http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5183.

Posts 13374
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 1:03 AM

Ted Hans:
I was wondering the same here! I don't begrudge folk who have got a great bargain price deal, that being said, what about the Logos Pre-Pub Price claim?

It was only $500 on prepub (though that was for 40 volumes), so PrePub was the cheapest way to buy.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 1:08 AM

Mark Barnes:
It was only $500 on prepub (though that was for 40 volumes), so PrePub was the cheapest way to buy.

The 43 volumes cost $643 on prepub.

Posts 13374
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 1:58 AM

Damian McGrath:
The 43 volumes cost $643 on prepub.

Really? I guess that just shows what a great deal with 40 volumes were originally.

That said, I'm not sure it's fair to Logos to expect them never to go cheaper than prepub, even three and a half years later. A lot can/has changed in that time.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 2:12 AM

Mark Barnes:

Really? I guess that just shows what a great deal with 40 volumes were originally.

That said, I'm not sure it's fair to Logos to expect them never to go cheaper than prepub, even three and a half years later. A lot can/has changed in that time.

They were a fantastic deal and have proven very useful.

Nevertheless, one of the big selling points of the prepub program was always that the price of the items was the cheapest it would ever be.

Perhaps, Logos oversold that point (which is why they have now removed it from 99% of available prepubs).

Whatever one's opinion, the remaining couple of prepubs which contain this claim should be modified.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 2:59 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
Agree I dont' see any all encompassing package either.  I do see a new package incorporating Odes of Solomon, but Psalms 3 has a release date of June 2011.   On neither of those site do I even find a Logos/Libronix package for Continental only single volume prints... Given Odes of Solomon is in the publisher's package but not the current on Logos website I would recommend to  hold off ordering till the newswire comes out and there is some further clarification of what is happening...

Psalms III is due to be published around the middle of 2011. It is available in German of course, but in my opinion Kraus is better.

The new Hermeneia package that includes Continental is now sold with a 50% discount at the website of Augsburg Fortress Press. Just type Hermeneia in the search box on the left and you find it.

I am a bit disappointed because I bought Continental with the pre-pub offer and I would have got a better deal had I waited. 

BTW it is interesting that the publisher chose to translate and publish next in Hermeneia the book of Psalms and not one of the OT books that are not covered by Continental.

Page 2 of 7 (131 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS