Hermeneia is newly available for download, and on sale for 50% off!!

Page 3 of 7 (131 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 130 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 5160
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:12 AM

David Knoll:
The new Hermeneia package that includes Continental is now sold with a 50% discount at the website of Augsburg Fortress Press. Just type Hermeneia in the search box on the left and you find it.

That's what I did and it doesn't show up as part of any collection with Hermeneia.  All I can find on their site referencing Continental is print copies of individual volumes. No electronic version at all.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:14 AM

Damian McGrath:
Nevertheless, one of the big selling points of the prepub program was always that the price of the items was the cheapest it would ever be.

. . . let's hope some of the new Baker standalone pre-pubs are NOT the cheapest they will ever be (at full-price as pre-pub)!  Smile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:17 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
That's what I did and it doesn't show up as part of any collection with Hermeneia.  All I can find on their site referencing Continental is print copies of individual volumes. No electronic version at all.

http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/item.jsp?clsid=207057&productgroupid=0&isbn=0800697804

http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/item.jsp?clsid=207063&productgroupid=0&isbn=0800697790

If you look at the contents tab all those CC titles are Continental (Obviously as Hermeneia does not include a commentary on Genesis for instance).

Posts 5160
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:26 AM

David Knoll:

Andrew McKenzie:

http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/item.jsp?clsid=207057&productgroupid=0&isbn=0800697804

http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/item.jsp?clsid=207063&productgroupid=0&isbn=0800697790

If you look at the contents tab all those CC titles are Continental (Obviously as Hermeneia does not include a commentary on Genesis for instance).

That's what I was looking at but it didn't spell it out so I missed the fine print "specially selected additional commentaries" when I looked at it.... Embarrassed

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:43 AM

Andrew McKenzie:

David Knoll:

Andrew McKenzie:

That's what I was looking at but it didn't spell it out so I missed the fine print "specially selected additional commentaries" when I looked at it.... Embarrassed

Looking at this enlarged jpeg confirms it, too.  I don't see the Logos/Libronix emblem, though . . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 7:27 AM

Greg Masone:
Mark, where are you finding this information?

The publisher's web site. Type Hermeneia in the search box. Look at the first two offerings. Updated, divided into two sections, and not available until later this fall.

Edit: I see the links have already been given. Note that the existing volume w/o the CC is available for the same price now that the split volumes will be after the CC is added it. Buy now or get more later for the same price.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2706
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 9:27 AM

Mark A. Smith:
Edit: I see the links have already been given. Note that the existing volume w/o the CC is available for the same price now that the split volumes will be after the CC is added it. Buy now or get more later for the same price.

Interesting - get more later for the same price! Tell me, and what is the point Pre-Ordering early again?Wink

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 9:34 AM

What is the difference between the 43 volume set now priced at $598 and the 39 volume set on pre-pub for $299.50 (due to ship 1 Oct)?  Isn't there overlap between them?  Or, does the second fill in gaps for the first?  Just a little confused about the sets.  Thanks!

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 9:50 AM

JH:
What is the difference between the 43 volume set now priced at $598 and the 39 volume set on pre-pub for $299.50 (due to ship 1 Oct)?

There are two sets that will be ready on the date you gave. One has the NT and some other books/sections that are covered, the other has the OT and the very same extra materials. So one set alone will give you either the OT or the NT but not both. If you buy both there is some overlapping material. Up until this point Hermeneia was available only as a complete set. Seems Augsburg Fortress is dividing the set and adding the CC volumes but keeping the price the same. You just have to buy both the OT and the NT set to get it all.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:05 AM

JH:
What is the difference between the 43 volume set now priced at $598 and the 39 volume set on pre-pub for $299.50 (due to ship 1 Oct)?

The 43 volume set at $598 includes all the volumes in the Hermeneia series.

There are two $299.50 sets shipping on 1 Oct.

The first (OT) contains (a) All the OT Hermeneia books, (b) all the non-canonical* Hermeneia books, (c) Seventeen additional Continental Commentary books. (a) and (b) are already in the 43-volume set, but (c) isn't.

The second(NT) set contains (a) All the NT Hermeneia books, (b) all the non-canonical* Hermeneia books, (c) Two additional Continental Commentary books. (a) is already in the 43-volume set. (b) is in both the 43 volume set and the OT volume set above, but (c) isn't in either set.

The two $299 volume sets together are equivalent to the 43-volume Hermeneia Set and the Continental Commentary Set, and therefore offer exceptional value for money.

Posts 103
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:12 AM

I was wondering about this, as I saw the Hermeneia/Continental OT set show up in my pre-pub rss feed. I'm considering the OT set, as it seems like you get quite a bit more that way. (Even if you bought both the OT and NT, buying it in the two-part set saves you like 600 bucks!) The NT set doesn't seem to add as much, because there are far fewer Continental books...plus I already have a good number of NT commentaries.

Any thoughts on the OT bundle?

Thanks,
Jason

the ancient art of shalom: thots on sustainable spirituality in san francisco - http://me.jasonkuo.com/thots

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:18 AM

Mark Barnes:

The two $299 volume sets together are equivalent to the 43-volume Hermeneia Set and the Continental Commentary Set, and therefore offer exceptional value for money.

Thanks Mark and Mark - exactly what I needed to know.  I appreciate the help!

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:54 AM

As I mentioned earlier, Hermeneia is pretty critical in its approach (for better and worse), and like most sets quite variable. It's not very theological, but will often pay close attention to historical background. Some of the volumes are quite old (though not as bad as ICC), and several are translations from German theologians. The problem with the older volumes is that they sometimes employed methods which have not stood the test of time. Sometimes they're surprisingly brief, other volumes (e.g. Romans) are very substantial. Personally I find it useful for academic work, but with one or two exceptions only, not really useful for preaching (because it tends to answer questions I'm not really asking in sermon preparation).

Continental Commentaries are very similar in style. However, because they've not been directly commissioned, but translated from existing German commentaries, they're already 'proved their worth' (in German scholarship, at least). This means that the standard of CC is slightly higher on average than Hemeneia (at least, there are less duds), but they're also more likely to be somewhat dated.

For those within the liberal or critical streams, both sets are very good. For those of a more evangelical persuasion who are not in academic environments, there can often be better choices.

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:58 AM

Mark Barnes:

JH:

The 43 volume set at $598 includes all the volumes in the Hermeneia series.

There are two $299.50 sets shipping on 1 Oct.

The first (OT) contains (a) All the OT Hermeneia books, (b) all the non-canonical* Hermeneia books, (c) Seventeen additional Continental Commentary books. (a) and (b) are already in the 43-volume set, but (c) isn't.

The second(NT) set contains (a) All the NT Hermeneia books, (b) all the non-canonical* Hermeneia books, (c) Two additional Continental Commentary books. (a) is already in the 43-volume set. (b) is in both the 43 volume set and the OT volume set above, but (c) isn't in either set.

By the way, where is the link to the NT set that is also due to be published soon?  I can't find it anywhere.  Thx!

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 11:13 AM

JH:
By the way, where is the link to the NT set that is also due to be published soon?  I can't find it anywhere.  Thx!

It's at the very bottom of the page you mentioned http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/7755 but it is a dead link.  So far, I do not think they have finalized the price on the NT set.  Sales told me it should be the same at the OT set with the same prepub date etc.  FYI

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 11:14 AM

JH:

Go to the Augsburg Fortress web site, type Hermeneia in the search box and you will find it.

I imagine it will shortly be on the Logos Pre-pub page as the OT volume is.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 103
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 1:05 PM

Just showed up, here's the NT set - http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/7756

the ancient art of shalom: thots on sustainable spirituality in san francisco - http://me.jasonkuo.com/thots

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:18 PM

Mark Barnes:

We just discovered on another thread that the two $299 sets include an additional Hermeneia volume not included in the 43 Volume set, namely the Odes of Solomon. So it's even better value!

Posts 497
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:42 PM

Mark Barnes:
We just discovered on another thread that the two $299 sets include an additional Hermeneia volume not included in the 43 Volume set, namely the Odes of Solomon. So it's even better value!

That's good to hear.

Looking at the two sets on the Pre-Pub page though, it seems each set has the same seven books:

1. 1 Enoch 1: Chapters 1-36; 81-108
  2. Fourth Ezra
  3. The Apostolic Tradition
  4. The Didache
  5. Ignatius of Antioch
  6. Shepherd of Hermas
  7. The Odes of Solomon

So it seems that if one were to purchase both sets, they'd be getting two sets of these seven books.

Even though this is already an awesome deal, I wonder if Logos could bundle the two pre-pubs together minus the seven repeated books and reflect that in the price?

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:45 PM

Jason Kuo:
Any thoughts on the OT bundle?

This is the best bargain you can find if you are looking for high quality scholarly commentaries of the OT. This bundle contains the best available commentaries in English on :

1) Genesis

2) Leviticus (Arguably)

3)  Isaiah (Arguably) 

4) Ezekiel

5) Amos

6) Daniel

7) Psalms

8) The only detailed commentaries on 1 Enoch and the Odes of Solomon.

If you are working on any of these OT books this saves you a trip to the library.  

Page 3 of 7 (131 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS