Last Night's Download

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 15 2010 6:54 AM

I have Scholar's - and got a 463MB download last night. What was it?

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 7:09 AM

It included updated Biblical People/Places/Things databases, updated Logos Controlled Vocabulary Database, and an updated Help file.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 7:13 AM

This was a resource update that included Biblical People, Biblical Things, Biblical Places, LCV Data (I believe this is a vocabulary file that controls the topics tool, Logos Help File, and a couple of other odds and ends.

You can see what resources were added to your system by accessing the Logos Reources folder and sorting by <date modified>

EDIT: Melissa was posting as I was typing. Why are you up so early Melissa, you should still be in line at Starbucks:)
Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 7:18 AM

SEE: An update is downloading, what is it

But the short answer is that it was Biblical people, places and things, help file and a few other things perhaps.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 7:19 AM

Yet again I need to refresh the page before crafting a reply.  Embarrassed

Posts 22
Jeremy Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:28 AM

Is there no way to see what was in those updates though?

It'd be nice to see specifically what the changes were, like a changelog (a common file or list offered by most software companies for their updated products).

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:40 AM

Jeremy Lewis:

Is there no way to see what was in those updates though?

It'd be nice to see specifically what the changes were, like a changelog (a common file or list offered by most software companies for their updated products).

Totally agree Jeremy and consider adding your vote to an overally improved download system  at

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/513797-implement-more-user-control-over-downloads-update?ref=title

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 7:43 PM

When I started Logos tonight it started downloading 704 MB! Still going, not sure what it is...I ordered the ESV Study Bible but surely it is not that big of a file. Is there something wrong with my Logos?

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 9:14 PM

Aaron Baldridge:

When I started Logos tonight it started downloading 704 MB! Still going, not sure what it is...I ordered the ESV Study Bible but surely it is not that big of a file. Is there something wrong with my Logos?

Well, if you hadn't downloaded the updated Biblical People/Places/Things databases yet, that'll account for 400+ MB. The maps are what take up most of the space. And the ESV Study Bible is 245MB. It's got lots of maps in it too.

Posts 115
Geertruida Selter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:29 PM

Rosie, if the ESV Study Bibl is 245MB so the study notes should be less. I had allready the updated databases yesterday, so what more than the notes were downloaded as I had an over 400 download this morning??

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:03 AM

Geertruida Selter:

Rosie, if the ESV Study Bibl is 245MB so the study notes should be less. I had allready the updated databases yesterday, so what more than the notes were downloaded as I had an over 400 download this morning??

ESV Study Bible and Study Notes is the same thing.... its 245MB.

Posts 115
Geertruida Selter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:28 AM

Andrew, I already had the ESV so I only ordered the study notes on prepub so the download should have been only the notes and still what are the other 200mb download??

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:05 AM

Geertruida Selter:

Andrew, I already had the ESV so I only ordered the study notes on prepub so the download should have been only the notes and still what are the other 200mb download??

The basics notes are a 245mb download.. the esv bible is an additional  download on top of that so you would have gotten a 245mb download for the notes.  As to what else you might have gotten try the following suggestions http://wiki.logos.com/An_update_is_downloading,_what_is_it

We are as much in the dark on what is getting downloaded to our computers as you are when it comes to what is being downloaded to ours...

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:05 AM

Geertruida Selter:

The ESV text is only 18MB. The study notes are 257MB. You can see the details of the file sizes here: http://www.logos.com/products/details/5253. Those who ordered the Study Bible bundle (Study Bible notes + ESV text) got all of that. Those who ordered just the notes got just the 257MB. Still it's big, because of the maps.

Incidentally, the "notes" resource (which is separate from the ESV text) is titled "The ESV Study Bible" in Logos, which might be part of the confusion.

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:27 AM

.... we interrupt normal programming to get something of our chest........

Rosie Perera:
Logos, which might be part of the confusion.

Trying desperately to ">Zip it! it but Logos is the source of this confusion... and will continue to be the source of this confusion until they do what their users have been asking for,and their asking for it because they (the users) expect it, because all other software companies do it and that is inform their customers of what is about to be downloaded to the customers computer before it is downloaded and what the size of that download is, and they give the customer the option to delay that update to a more convenient time. This is one area where I have to continue to give Logos 4 the  No

If you asked over the last few days what was that that just downloaded to my system and haven't already, please add your vote for Logos to lift their game in this area of what is otherwise a great tool......... just follow this link:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/513797-implement-more-user-control-over-downloads-update?ref=title

...we now return you to normal programming and hope you are enjoying your new esv study bible notes in Logos 4

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:01 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
Trying desperately to ">Zip it! it but Logos is the source of this confusion... and will continue to be the source of this confusion until they do what their users have been asking for,and their asking for it because they (the users) expect it, because all other software companies do it and that is inform their customers of what is about to be downloaded to the customers computer before it is downloaded and what the size of that download is, and they give the customer the option to delay that update to a more convenient time

Hi Andrew,

We have been asking for this for almost a year--it goes back to private beta testing of L4 and when we first were told that Logos does not want to do this for the reasons they have cited.  (Many threads on this.)  Frankly, I had hoped and invested energy into this but I really am giving up on the system changing in this area.  Others may be hopeful.   I have decided to work around it and basically try to forget about it because it is out of my control and I will not become frustrated with every update as I wonder and search the forums to learn what it is.  It takes work and time to do that which I do not have. 

I am grateful for all the resources and great commentary deals lately that Logos has been offering; my library is much more than I ever imagined!

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 6:42 AM

I completely understand why Logos don't want us selecting part but not all of an update, and I'm willing to accept this.

But there's no real reason why they can't let us know what's been updated (or even what's about to be updated). Our software knows exactly what's going on, it just doesn't tell us. A few dozen lines of code would solve the problem.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 6:54 AM

Mark Barnes:

I completely understand why Logos don't want us selecting part but not all of an update, and I'm willing to accept this.

But there's no real reason why they can't let us know what's been updated (or even what's about to be updated). Our software knows exactly what's going on, it just doesn't tell us. A few dozen lines of code would solve the problem.

This topic comes up at every update.  For a while we were getting lists in the forums, but not this time, and at either point the forum isn't good enough.  Only a subset of users access the forums.  Put it in the popup in the system tray. 

We need a list of what is being updated.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 6:56 AM

Thomas Black:

This topic comes up at every update.  For a while we were getting lists in the forums, but not this time, and at either point the forum isn't good enough.  Only a subset of users access the forums.  Put it in the popup in the system tray. 

Or at the very least, a link in the system tray popup that says "click here to see a list of what's being updated" and then a link to the forum post (assuming there is one).

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 7:34 AM

Thomas Black:

Mark Barnes:

I've been trying futilely to keep the wiki page about what resources have been updated up-to-date whenever there's a forum announcment, but I inevitably miss some, and in many cases (for small updates) they don't post on the forum.

I strongly agree that we need this in the app. The item to vote for on UserVoice is now this one, not this one. The former currently has 357 votes, and the latter 134. The latter requests selective user control over what is going to be downloaded, which they have stated they aren't going to implement, and for good reasons. So votes on that item are wasted votes. It's remarkable how many people have placed 3 votes on the former. We really want it! It's now the 5th most popular request on the UserVoice forum, second only to "Make an intelligent flashcard program" (and only by two votes) among features Logos has yet to respond on.

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS