Slow Power Hog

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 89
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:10 PM

I have been using Logos for a while now and I love all of the functions and features, but is it possible to get the Mac version more efficient? I had my Mac on today in class with Logos opened to the bible and it just drained the battery. I realize that it is using a large database, but I also find it to be the slowest application on my Mac, by far. When I check out CPU usage, I see that it is sucking it up any time I basically do anything on it. 

Stephen

Posts 216
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 9:09 PM

Agreed. This is a huge problem and why I still use Logos 4 with Parallels 6. I can open Parallels and Logos 4 faster than Logos4Mac. Plus, Logos 4 in emulation  runs tons faster than the native Mac application! Everything about the application is faster under emulation. Plus it doesn't suck the power or slow down my entire machine under emulation like the native Mac application does.

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:37 AM

Dan Giese:

I can open Parallels and Logos 4 faster than Logos4Mac. Plus, Logos 4 in emulation  runs tons faster than the native Mac application! Everything about the application is faster under emulation.

I find this amazing; the fact that you can launch Parallels and then Logos faster than L4Mac. I've just tried to see the time difference and just don't get it. Windows takes 1.5 minutes to fully launch under Parallels 6 on my MacBook and then I have to launch Logos. Conversely, L4Mac takes just 35 seconds to launch to the Home screen. I would suggest something is not quite right with your setup.

Posts 1558
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 7:35 AM

There seems to be a lot of performance variability between users and hardware. I assume this is due to the unoptimized state of the software.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 45
Jesse Frame | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 8:36 AM

i agree, sounds like something is not quite right with your particular setup. that's not even close to my experience and im sure others are having much more success than that as well.

i have a first gen macbook pro with L4 installed both natively and emulated on Parallels 5. L4Mac might not be what i could call "snappy," but it sure gets the job done for my day to day use. i think 1.5 minutes to get my parallels going sounds about right plus then you have to launch L4. it may have some more features, but nothing i can't live without.

I've been using L4Mac almost daily since the Alpha teens with really no issues (except missing features). And for Alpha/Beta software it has been remarkably fast and reliable in my experience.

Jesse FrameNew Mission Systems International, Australia

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 8:55 AM

Dan/Stephen:

There are a few known issues (most of which have to do with issues that would only be present if you used much earlier versions of the Alpha) that can cause those kinds of issues. If you upload your logs, we can check to see if you're affected by any of them.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 216
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 3:44 PM

Here's my logs. Hopefully, it will give you a clue as to why Logos4Mac is running to slowly for me!

Thanks!

041573.Archive.zip

Posts 19
Rich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 6:36 PM

Yes, me too.  I just installed Logos on my Mac about 3 days ago, and I must say, this thing is a dog.  I almost can't stand it.  I'm seriously thinking about running it under fusion.

Sure hope the Logos teams gets with the program.  Wasn't this software developed my experienced Mac programers?

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 6:47 PM

My experience with the latest "GM" has been rather good. Sure, I would like to see it move a little faster but I do not think it is a dog. I do find that it is a s quick or quicker than under Parallels.

The one thing that I would really like to see, however, (and I have seen this mentioned elsewhere) is improvement in the scrolling speed and responsiveness. When I scroll, there is usually a delay in the window, the spinner, then it jumps (usually not where I expect it). That makes it very difficult to navigate resources.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 8:50 AM

Richard:

It would be most helpful to us if you could be a bit more descriptive regarding which portions of the app you perceive as being slow.

Michael:

In what parts of the app are you noticing slow scrolling? Do you have many visual filters or highlights applied?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 5365
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 10:04 AM

David Mitchell:

Richard:

It would be most helpful to us if you could be a bit more descriptive regarding which portions of the app you perceive as being slow.

Please Sir may answer this question?

Because I sat this forum in Safari beside a single floating pane with the NIV open in it.

When I scroll the two windows with my fingers on the Magic Mouse the Safari window just seem to significantly more responsive to the touch.

I think that this may be related to the size of the resource - because the NIV pane is scrolling the whole Bible it appears to be more jerky and has a slight delay when you start to scroll. What we actually need - and I know this is probably unreasonable - is a hot spot about the reference typed in the window so that scrolling around this area takes more movement than scrolling in the Bible farther away from it.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 216
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 7:01 AM

Any reply?

Today, after starting my MacBookPro this AM (4GB RAM, 2.53 Core 2 Duo) it took 1 minute and 50 seconds before I heard the startup chime from Logos and then it wasn't until 2:21 until the layout opened. This is after a restart of the Mac with no other applications running. This is far from snappy and incredibly frustrating and why I still use Logos with Parallels most of the time.

Even after Logos4Mac opens it is just plain slow at everything! Parallel resources takes at least a minute to open and then immediately disappears. It might stay open on the 3rd or 4th try (which takes 5 minutes to figure out), but if it doesn't work I usually give up and open Parallels.

I know there is a known problem for people who had the first alphas installed (like me) but I have yet to see a fix posted. Hopefully that's all it is. Any help????

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 9:43 AM

Dan Giese:
Any reply?

Sorry…it appears that your logs got buried in all the other posts on the thread (while we do our best to catch everything, logs are more likely to get attention if they're posted to a thread that's less "busy"). It does appear that you've been bitten by the "infinite sync" bug common to many early alpha users. You can either delete ~/Library/Application Support/Logos4 and start over from scratch, or try the following operations:

If this works, you should notice significant performance improvements, and the sync arrows should spin much less frequently. If the sync arrows continue to spin, upload some fresh logs, and I'll take another look.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 8
Jason Ebeling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 11:48 AM

What exactly do you mean by

David Mitchell:
You can either delete ~/Library/Application Support/Logos4 and start over from scratch

What exactly is being started from scratch?

Posts 8
Jason Ebeling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 11:58 AM

Here's my logs too.

53244.Archive.zip

Only seem to be having this problem on my MBP 2.2 core duo running OSX 10.6.4 with 4GB RAM.  My iMac doesn't seem to have this issue.  (secondary issue is home screen on this computer always opens resized small after trying fixes in another thread)

Posts 3188
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 12:46 PM

By deleting  ~/Library/Application Support/Logos4,  one would have to re-download and index everything.

Posts 3188
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 12:53 PM

Jason:

What parts of the program are slow? Could you describe in detail your experience? 

Posts 8
Jason Ebeling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 12:09 PM

I decided to redownload and index everything so when that's finished, I'll let you know what (if any?) areas are still slow.  Hoping this will fix that.

As of now the only issue is the startup screen always being resized and not keeping the full size.  4 more hours of indexing left.

Posts 128
Doug Dunbar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 12:34 PM

Don't mean to sound sarcastic, but perhaps a bit of perspective on the speed issue is worth considering.  Open your USB Greek NT to Acts two (the paper on on your shelf) start reading, parse every word and have the range of meaning for each word in your mind....how far will you get in 5 minutes?  For me, I'd be looking for my lexicon by word #4 συμπληρουσθαι - but I haven't studied Greek for a number of years.  Logos on the other hand chewed through the entire chapter parsing every word in five minutes while I went and got a coffee. Geeked

Posts 128
Doug Dunbar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 12:34 PM

OK, I did mean to sound sarcastic.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS