Recommendations

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 143
Steven Baxley | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:53 AM

Hello,

I am preparing to buy a MacBook Pro.  I have the choice of the 13 inch 2.4Ghz dual core, or the 15 inch i5 2.4 Ghz, both would have 4 GB RAM.  What would you recommend for using Logos, the 13 inch with RAM expanded to 8 GB, or the 15 inch with RAM left at 4 GB?  My primary software that I use is Logos and MS Office.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Steven

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 12:04 PM

The 15 inch with the i5 core would be better for you in the long run because it's a newer and better processor. RAM Memory can be easily added later when you can afford it.

I run Logos on a 4 GB iMac and an 8 GB iMac (same CPU), and I see no difference in speed.

Plus--the extra monitor real estate would be worth it!

Grace be to you.

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 12
Pierre-David Pfister | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 12:05 PM

IMHO: 15inch with i5. 4GB is far enough for logos on Mac.

Posts 25
Billy Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 12:31 PM

I think one of the questions you should think through is portability.  I keep my macbook pro on the go.  It goes almost everywhere I go.  Therefore, even though I compromise a little on speed (and no matter what you buy, next week it will come out in a faster version) I love the 13 inch portability.  I have a 24 in monitor at my desk in the office, the mac works wonderful with an external monitor.  This way I get the best of both worlds.  You can get a nice big monitor for the price difference. (as long as it's not the apple one).  The 13 is great on a plane, even on the pulpit.

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 1:24 PM

Good point Billy.

I like the 15 inch as it has more screen space - which I find I never have enough of when I'm using Logos.  But I only tend to use it around the house.

I also have an external monitor which I use when I really need more space!

Posts 91
Seth Hewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 2:18 PM

I would definitely go with the 15". I'm in school and carry my 15" MBP everywhere I go. It's not very heavy and the extra screen real estate is good for my old eyes.

On RAM, I'd go with as much as I could afford. I have a late 2008 machine with 4G RAM. I sometimes get a lot of page swapping if I have Safari or Mail open at the same time as Logos. I'll be upgrading mine to 6G soon to try to help with that, but 6G is as far as I can go. With RAM, I've always believed more is better.

Seth

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 10:23 PM

Apple has refurbished MacBook Pro's => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

Current generation MacBook Pro's have 320M or 330M graphics.

RAM can be upgraded later, forum http://community.logos.com/forums/p/23095/172282.aspx has activity monitor screen shots and page out observations.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 143
Steven Baxley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 5:57 AM

Thanks for all the information and ideas.  I think I'm leaning towards the 15 inch.   Portability isn't that much of an issue for me, but speed and performance are (that's the main reason I'm leaving the pc world and immigrating to the mac world Smile).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 4:59 PM

Steven Baxley:

Thanks for all the information and ideas.  I think I'm leaning towards the 15 inch.   Portability isn't that much of an issue for me, but speed and performance are (that's the main reason I'm leaving the pc world and immigrating to the mac world Smile).

If portability not needed, desktop iMac has much larger screen and faster - noticed couple 27" Quad Core iMac's for $ 1,699 

Current generation model => http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC511LL/A (faster graphics and SDXC card slot)

Previous generation model => http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0GF0LL/A (faster processor)

Also saw some refurbished iPad's => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 5:00 PM

[my mistake, sorry]

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 143
Steven Baxley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 4:32 AM

I guess I should have indicated that portability was not an issue between the 13 inch or the 15 inch.  I am only looking at laptops since I do want it to go with me when I leave the office.  Thanks again!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 11:55 AM

Steven Baxley:

I guess I should have indicated that portability was not an issue between the 13 inch or the 15 inch.  I am only looking at laptops since I do want it to go with me when I leave the office.  Thanks again!

Observation: have seen several office laptops that could be replaced by desktop computers (seldom moved) - when mobile, smart phone used.  Likewise have seen some laptops used in several places daily.

Idea Visit a store - try out both sizes - screen readability and typing.  Apple has many retail stores => http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/ all have business consultants.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 6:37 PM

Consider what kind of layouts you like to use with Logos, and how much screen space they require. If your like me and like as much screen space as possible to fit as much in as possible, then 15" is definately the way to go. However if you like working with lesser windows you may not need the extra screen realestate and 13" might work best for you.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 11
Susan L. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 8:04 PM

i was deciding between the 13 and 15 and chose the basic 15 for the i5 to be on the safe side for L4..also for the larger screen size, photos etc.  L4 is on my core duo dell a few years old, so we shall see how macbook does on October 1! 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS