Find out the most popular Logos resources - and see which ones you're missing!

Page 1 of 5 (88 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 87 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 17 2010 4:47 PM

I've updated my bibliography report with a new feature. It's called a Popularity Report, and shows both resources you do have, and those you don't! It's a great report for at least three reasons:

• It shows you which resources are popular with other users, and how many users own each resource.
  • It shows you at a glance which resources are available in Logos that you don't yet have.
  • You can't get this information anywhere else!

If you've already used the report, just go back and choose the popularity report from the drop-down menu. If you've never used it before, you'll need to upload one of your Logos files first - follow the instructions on the site.

In the image above, the yellow highlights resources I don't own (or have hidden), whilst the right-hand column tells me what percentage of users own that resource.

It's still experimental, so let me know of any problems. One thing to beware: there are more than 10,000 resources in the database, so it's a very big report. It will take 3-5 minutes to generate.

Posts 5104
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 5:03 PM

Mark Barnes:
I've updated my bibliography report with a new feature.

Timely post, I've been thinking about using this...

Mark Barnes:
the yellow highlights resources I don't own (or have hidden)

The hidden possibility a user of the report should check out before purchasing a resource.

A quick question Mark, does it allow you to re-upload your database, so you can get an updated report when you have added new resources ?  Just thinking someone might want to do a fresh copy of the report every 3 or 6 or 12 months depending upon their frequency of adding additional material to their library.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 5:07 PM

Andrew McKenzie:
A quick question Mark, does it allow you to re-upload your database, so you can get an updated report when you have added new resources ?  Just thinking someone might want to do a fresh copy of the report every 3 or 6 or 12 months depending upon their frequency of adding additional material to their library.

Yes, after you've uploaded there's a link to delete and start over.

Posts 5104
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 5:15 PM

Mark Barnes:

Andrew McKenzie:

Yes, after you've uploaded there's a link to delete and start over.

Thanks Mark, uploading now, since I had done a customer install onto a secondary hard drive, rather than default install, the link provided on the instructions didn't work, but I was able to find it easy since I knew what I was looking.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 4:26 AM

This is a very nice tool, thanks for sharing it!

As an FYI, I ran it on my collection, and it seems to have highlighted resources that I have, that it didn't recognize. Just to mention two, I have the Geisler collection, and the Hope for the Heart Biblical Counseling Library, and it highlighted all the resources in each as not in my resources. I am pretty sure there are others as well.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 7:07 AM

Dominick,

Could you email me the URL the site gives you to share your library with others? That will allow me to run the report as if I was you to find out the problem. You can use my contact form here: http://www.4-14.org.uk/contact

Thanks.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 7:11 AM

Mark Barnes:

I've updated my bibliography report with a new feature. It's called a Popularity Report, and shows both resources you do have, and those you don't! It's a great report for at least three reasons:

• It shows you which resources are popular with other users, and how many users own each resource.
  • It shows you at a glance which resources are available in Logos that you don't yet have.
  • You can't get this information anywhere else!

How many users is this based on?  i.e., what's the sample size?  Nevermind. I didn't read the report header.

I would have expected some of the Galaxie Software products to be more popular (although most of them do have Logos versions now):  EDIT: I guess most people have them hidden?

Calvin's Commentaries   Calvin, John    Galaxie Software    2002    3%
Institutes of the Christian Religion    Calvin, John    Galaxie Software    2002    3%
Complete Works of Josephus  Josephus    Galaxie Software    2002    3%
Bible History of the Old Testament  Edersheim, Alfred   Galaxie Software    2002    3%
Early Church Fathers - Ante-Nicene      Galaxie Software    2002    3%
The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah Edersheim, Alfred   Galaxie Software    2002    3%
History of the Christian Church Schaff, Philip  Galaxie Software    2002    3%
Sketches of Jewish Social Life in the Days of Christ    Edersheim, Alfred   Galaxie Software    2002    3%
The Temple Its Ministry and Services    Edersheim, Alfred   Galaxie Software    2002    3%

What I find the most interesting is seeing the least popular resources that I own.  My bottom 10 Logos-released resources (excluding Galaxie ones and only counting multiple volume resources once) are:

The Great Exchange: Justification by faith alone—in the light of recent thought Eveson, Philip H.   Day One Publications    1996    4%
The Office and Work of the Holy Spirit  Buchanan, James Logos Research Systems, Inc.    2008    4%
Outlines of Theology: Rewritten and Enlarged    Hodge, Archibald Alexander  Logos Research Systems, Inc.    2009    4%
Collins English Dictionary—8th Edition  HarperCollins   HarperCollins Publishers    2006    4%
Nueva Versión Internacional     Sociedad Bíblica Internacional  1999    3%
Nueva Biblia de los Hispanos        Foundation Publications 2005    3%
The Holy Scriptures according to the Masoretic Text Jewish Publication Society  Jewish Publication Society  1917    3%
The Virgin Birth: A Biblical Study of the Deity of Jesus Christ Gromacki, Robert    Kress Christian Publications    2002    3%
Reformed Dogmatics, Volume 1: Prolegomena   Bavinck, Herman Bolt, John Vriend, John Baker Academic  2003    2%
Exploring the Mind and Heart of the Prince of Preachers: Five-Thousand Illustrations Selected from the Works of Charles Haddon Spurgeon Spurgeon, Charles Haddon    Fox River Press 2005    1%

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 7:36 AM

Mark Barnes:
In the image above, the yellow highlights resources I don't own (or have hidden), whilst the right-hand column tells me what percentage of users own that resource.

Hey Mark, would it be possible to highlight the hidden resources differently from the non-owned?  or do you not have that info in the uploaded db?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 8:01 AM

Todd Phillips:

I would have expected some of the Galaxie Software products to be more popular (although most of them do have Logos versions now):

Institutes of the Christian Religion    Calvin, John    Galaxie Software    2002    3%
Bible History of the Old Testament  Edersheim, Alfred   Galaxie Software    2002    3%
The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah Edersheim, Alfred   Galaxie Software    2002    3%
Sketches of Jewish Social Life in the Days of Christ    Edersheim, Alfred   Galaxie Software    2002    3%
The Temple Its Ministry and Services    Edersheim, Alfred   Galaxie Software    2002    3%

By the way, these are hidden on my system, but they aren't highlighted in the report for some reason.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 8:07 AM

Todd Phillips:
How many users is this based on?  i.e., what's the sample size?

The sample size changes as more people upload their files. It's currently 238 (it's marked at the top of the report). I currently include all resources that have been uploaded by more than one person (this is to exclude any personal compiled files such as sermons).

I think those Galaxie files you refer to all duplicate other 'official' versions of the same files, and that probably accounts for the low take-up. I don't think they've even been advertised on the Logos site. Most people have the official versions.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 8:12 AM

Todd Phillips:
Hey Mark, would it be possible to highlight the hidden resources differently from the non-owned?  or do you not have that info in the uploaded db?

I do have that data in the database. It's a good idea, I'll see what I can do.

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 9:00 AM

Real interesting and nice!

BTW: I tried this a number of times last nite with Firefox and was unsuccessful. Today I resorted to MS Explorer and it popped up quickly. So maybe if others are unsuccessful they can use the old browser standby.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 9:26 AM

Mark A. Smith:
I tried this a number of times last nite with Firefox and was unsuccessful.

I think the problem last night was that too many people were hitting it simultaneously. Comparing a library of 10,000 books with a second of 2,000-3,000 books really kills my server! That said, if you have lots of extensions in Firefox you will be much better off viewing in IE. Extensions that interact with web-pages have a LOT of work to-do on this page, and can really slow it down.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 9:30 AM

Todd Phillips:

Todd Phillips:

I would have expected some of the Galaxie Software products to be more popular (although most of them do have Logos versions now):

By the way, these are hidden on my system, but they aren't highlighted in the report for some reason.

I also just added a book to my library (Dispensationalism, by Ryrie), and it shows up as "not owned".  Is it possible that my upload is failing and it's using an older file? (there's no indication of failure)

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 9:37 AM

Todd Phillips:
I also just added a book to my library (Dispensationalism, by Ryrie), and it shows up as "not owned".  Is it possible that my upload is failing and it's using an older file? (there's no indication of failure)

The best way to check that is whether the resource appears in the other reports. It's possible that there's a caching bug, however. Could you email me the URL the site gives you to share your library with others? That will allow me to run the report as if I was you to find out the problem. You can use my contact form here: http://www.4-14.org.uk/contact

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 9:45 AM

Mark Barnes:

Todd Phillips:

The best way to check that is whether the resource appears in the other reports. It's possible that there's a caching bug, however. Could you email me the URL the site gives you to share your library with others? That will allow me to run the report as if I was you to find out the problem. You can use my contact form here: http://www.4-14.org.uk/contact

Hmm, now it's acting like I never uploaded a file.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 9:58 AM

Todd Phillips:

Mark Barnes:

Todd Phillips:

Hmm, now it's acting like I never uploaded a file.

After uploading a second time, here's the link: http://www.4-14.org.uk/?mylogosbooks=01d7ffc04da0f22581964e1de95f6ab8

Dispensationalism shows up on the Titles-only view.  But it's highlighted in yellow (not owned) in the popularity report.

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 10:37 AM

Well I found a number of things really interesting. First, however, I do own a few of the 1%-ers, so I do not always follow the crowd.

Two things of particular note to me:

How few of those who submitted their catalogs own Black's NT Commentary series. That is one well worth owning. Barrett on 1 & 2 Corinthians, Laws on James, Best on 1-2 Thessalonians, Kelly on Peter and Jude and on the Pastoral Epistles are all highly recommended works, and some I had in print for a number of years and have referred to often.

I also note with some dismay the fall from grace of Alexander MacLaren. Perhaps this is a reflection of the movement away from expository preaching among evangelicals, or his age. Thirty years ago he was still a model of expository preaching. (I must admit I only have MacLaren in a PBB file so my copy would not show up on this report. I have been waiting to see how the new PBB resources compare to the old before pulling the trigger on the full Logos version of this resource.)

I also note that I have a lot less Lucado and MacArthur than many of you. Ah, well. I don't feel too handicapped without those.

Thanks for the effort on this, Mark. I hope others will upload their libraries so we can get a wider statistical base to compare to.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 10:47 AM

Mark A. Smith:
How few of those who submitted their catalogs own Black's NT Commentary series. That is one well worth owning. Barrett on 1 & 2 Corinthians, Laws on James, Best on 1-2 Thessalonians, Kelly on Peter and Jude and on the Pastoral Epistles are all highly recommended works, and some I had in print for a number of years and have referred to often.

Yes, I agree with you here. Bockmuehl on Philippians is also very stimulating as a supplement to O'Brien, Fee or Silva. Hooker on Mark is pretty good, too.  It's one of the very few non-evangelical commentary series that I actually find useful for preaching.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 1:44 PM

Mark Barnes:
It's called a Popularity Report,

Thank you! That's a really useful piece of work. I appreciate the time you put in on this project. It worked just fine.

God bless

{charley}

p.s. If needed I'll follow your instructions on the contact form.

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Page 1 of 5 (88 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS