Use Internet/Automatic Downloads

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 17
Skip Tyler | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 17 2010 5:34 PM

I am relatively new to Logos 4.  Right now I have Use Internet  and Automatic Downloads set on yes.  Is that the majority report or should I be fearful?

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 3:46 AM

Skip Tyler:

I am relatively new to Logos 4.  Right now I have Use Internet  and Automatic Downloads set on yes.  Is that the majority report or should I be fearful?

This is the majority report, but there are several who have concerns about privacy. If you are interested in exploring the subject, you can find at least one thread that has recently been revived. Some of those who are concerned about the issue may respond to your question.

FWIW: I personally have no problems with the current situation, but I understand that others to have concerns.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 5:05 AM

Skip Tyler:

I am relatively new to Logos 4. Right now I have Use Internet and Automatic Downloads set on yes. Is that the majority report or should I be fearful?

Hello Skip,

Because I am not sure what you mean with "Is that the majority report or should I be fearful," I will tell you the concerns that I have with these settings.

As of right now, with these settings set to 'yes,' basically everything that you create (notes, prayers, layouts, etc...) gets sent to Logos' servers. Bob has also said that they might contract this out in the future to a third party like Amazon.com. I personally do not want my data (notes, prayers, layouts, etc...) on Logos, Amazon.com, or anyone else's servers.

Because of my privacy concerns, I have turned these settings to 'no,' and now I must deal with the repercussions of setting these settings to 'no.'  When these settings are turned off, not only do we must manually check for updates for the program, we cannot download any new books.  We must purchase the CD and pay the postage for the CD.  This is, of course, works for books that we can order a CD for.  If the book is only available by download, we cannot purchase the book.

There is a reason why you see several threads about this topic and there is an entry on uservoice.com for this concern, it is because we think, for the most part, L4 is a good program, and we want to use it.

Posts 1846
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:03 AM

Hi Skip,

It really is a personal choice. I think that the vast majority, including myself, keep it turned on. There are some who value their utmost privacy and I respect that. I agree with Jack on this issue though. The way that I view it (and I admit that I have not read the thread that Jack mentioned earlier) is as follows. If there is a breach in security as a result of the Logos program, all that the hackers are going to get are my notes and settings. My most personal information such as billing information etc. is not kept by the program but by the company itself. If I don't want my credit card information kept on the Logos servers I can easily log in and clear it off of my account.

Maybe I am not as security conscious as I should be, but that is just my personal opinion and you may want to look at the thread that Jack mentioned.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:23 AM

Skip Tyler:

I keep my Internet on and automatic downloads set to no. The reason I keep downloads on no I participate in the Beta releases and the updates sometimes come when it is not convenient for me to download them. As for the Internet set to yes, I do not share the privacy concerns others have expressed and I like the benefit of having my information synced between computers; combined with the ability to restore that information if I have to reload the software.

Posts 1846
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:26 AM

Another reason that some may like to keep their automatic downloads set to "no" is because they have a limited amount of bandwidth that they are allotted to use.

Posts 17
Skip Tyler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2010 2:57 AM

Folks, thank you for your comments.  They were very helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS