Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Matt Robb | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 19 2010 3:10 PM

I am running Logos Scholar's Package on an HP laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 at 2.13 GHz

4 Gigs of Ram

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I have tried all of the tweaks in the posts here including turning off the internet, etc, and Logos still runs pretty slow in my opinion.  It takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to start up and often as long just to pull up a Bible reference.  Is this normal? Any other tweaks that have worked for you? Shouldn't these specs be enough for Logos?

I find myself using E-Sword because it loads so fast and is fast to get around in!

Any help would be appreciated!

Matt

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 4:34 PM

Would you mind uploading a screen shot of your normal layout if its a custom layout, so we can see what "your asking" Logos to do. A couple in the past have had problems with speed, but its been caused fro m having an excessive number of windows open. Alternatively if you do have quite a few windows open, is it any speedier if you use a default layout?

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 19277
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 5:26 PM

Yes, that does seem rather slow just to open a Bible reference, though 30 seconds to boot up is not far from my own experience.

Can you post a screenshot of your "Experience Index" on Windows 7? This is Windows' way of rating the performance of various aspects of your hardware and showing you where the bottlnecks are. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-experience-index.

Also, if all the numbers in your Experience Index seem pretty good, then it would be helpful to see a diagnostic log of a typical short Logos session for you with some slow operations happening. That will show the Logos developers where the bottlenecks are in the code and help them if they need to do further optimizations, or help sort out whether it's just something about your particular set up that they can help you tweak. Here's how to enable Diagnostic Logging to generate (and zip) a log file. And here's how to upload your log file(s) to the forum.

EDIT: There are also some other performance tweaking suggestions on the Logos wiki here, in case you haven't seen that page yet.

Posts 2
Matt Robb | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 5:57 PM

My "Experience Index" is 5.4.

Actually, I just setup Logos to "connect to the internet" again and it downloaded a lot of updates.  After rebooting and restarting, it took 11 seconds to boot up and 8 seconds to load a reference!

Whatever just got downloaded dramatically increases the speed on my machine.  Those are numbers I can live with!

Matt

Posts 19277
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 7:07 PM

Matt Robb:

My "Experience Index" is 5.4.

Actually, I just setup Logos to "connect to the internet" again and it downloaded a lot of updates.  After rebooting and restarting, it took 11 seconds to boot up and 8 seconds to load a reference!

Whatever just got downloaded dramatically increases the speed on my machine.  Those are numbers I can live with!

Matt

Ah, then Logos was probably still indexing when you got the slower performance. Whenever you purchase and download resources, it needs to first index them to be able to do fast searches. So you have to wait through what is sometimes a few hours worth of indexing at the beginning (when you buy a base package); it's less when you purchase just a few additional books later on. There's a blue Logos icon in your tray while indexing is going on, and you can hover over it to see a very rough estimate of how much longer it's going to take. You can still do other things in Logos while indexing is taking place, but things will be slower, and search results will be unavailable or inaccurate.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS