Theological/Biblical approach to marriage issues

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 21 2010 8:07 AM

I am looking for a resource that studies the biblical basis and background of marriage and approaches to societal issues related to marriage such as cohabitation and children born to couples before the marriage and how the church might biblically deal with those issues.

With that understanding, I found the resource, "Celebrating Christian Marriage". I am wondering if anyone has this and can tell me if this resource would address such issues. Or perhaps, if there might be other resources that would do the same (hopefully, ones I already own).

Thank you for your consideration and advice.

Posts 3743
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 8:22 AM

Michael Paul:
resource that studies the biblical basis and background of marriage and approaches to societal issues related to marriage

You can get quite a lot just from the topical Bibles you have. That's what I used to prepare the Scriptural portion of the marriage & pre-marriage counseling that I do. In Platinum, by entering 'topical' in the library window, I find:

• New Naves Topical Index
  • Collins Thesaurus on the Bible
  • NASB Topical Index
  • Nelson's Topical Index
  • New Topical Textbook

I've listed them in the approximate order that I've found them useful... (by useful I mean comprehensive: there is something on what I'm looking for; qualtiy of the results are about the same in all of them)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 2:15 PM

Michael Paul:

I am looking for a resource that studies the biblical basis and background of marriage and approaches to societal issues related to marriage such as cohabitation and children born to couples before the marriage and how the church might biblically deal with those issues.

The Theological Journal from Galaxie has the Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood.  There should be some articles there if you have the resource.

Greg

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 2:51 PM

I don't know if you were lucky enough to have picked up the recently shipped  Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Hebraica by John Lightfoot. If you did, the section on 1st Corinthians goes a long way in explaining Paul's treatment of marriage and the issues that you're mentioning that were early-on  encountered in the jewish world. I just finished reading it; the whole book (actually 4) is simply amazing.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 2:55 PM

This is not available in Logos, but "Marriage Without Regrets" Precept Upon Precept is an excellent inductive study on the subject.

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 3:50 PM

Denise Barnhart:

I don't know if you were lucky enough to have picked up the recently shipped  Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Hebraica by John Lightfoot. If you did, the section on 1st Corinthians goes a long way in explaining Paul's treatment of marriage and the issues that you're mentioning that were early-on  encountered in the jewish world. I just finished reading it; the whole book (actually 4) is simply amazing.

Hey Denise thanks for the tip on the recently available resource!  ...always appreciate nuggets mined from a fresh resource I haven't been able to work in yet.

Posts 166
David C. Rowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2010 1:54 PM

Try getting a hold of God, Marriage and Family by Andreas J. Kostenberger.  Quite good!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS