Needed in Logos: Scott Hahn (and a bit on Anchor Yale pre-pub)

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 24 2010 8:27 AM

Scott Hahn is well-known in part for his conversion from Protestantism to Catholicism, and many have read his book describing that in "Rome Sweet Home."  Many also consider him a good, Biblical apologist for the Catholic faith--ie, speaking from Scripture to validate the belief, dogma, and practices of the Roman Catholic church.  Specifically, that he has a good way of speaking to current Protestants about Catholicism.  This post is not to defend or rail against his views, but simply to say, having his books in Logos would be most beneficial. 

I know there is at least ONE book of his in the soon to be published Anchor Yale Collection (see the excerpt from the Logos page below (notice Scot McKnight's evaluation)

Kinship by Covenant: A Canonical Approach to the Fulfillment of God's Saving Promises

• Author: Scott Hahn
  • Publisher: Yale University Press, 2009
  • 608 pages

Sample Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

While the canonical scriptures were produced over many centuries and represent a diverse library of texts, they are unified by stories of divine covenants and their implications for God’s people. In this deeply researched and thoughtful book, Scott Hahn shows how covenant, as an overarching theme, makes possible a coherent reading of the diverse traditions found within the canonical scriptures.

Biblical covenants, though varied in form and content, all serve the purpose of extending sacred bonds of kinship, Hahn explains. Specifically, divine covenants form and shape a father-son bond between God and the chosen people. Biblical narratives turn on that fact, and biblical theology depends upon it. With meticulous attention to detail, the author demonstrates how divine sonship represents a covenant relationship with God that has been consistent throughout salvation history. A canonical reading of this divine plan reveals an illuminating pattern of promise and fulfillment in both the Old and New Testaments. God’s saving mercies are based upon his sworn commitments, which he keeps even when his people break the covenant.

Scott Hahn is Pope Benedict XVI Chair of Biblical Theology, St. Vincent Seminary, and professor of scripture and theology, Franciscan University of Steubenville. He is also founder and president of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology. Among his many best-selling books is The Lamb’s Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth.

Both well-written and exhaustive, this impressive work will fascinate readers with New Testament truths about God's unyielding covenant with his chosen, fallible people.
—David Noel Freedman, editor of the Anchor Yale Bible
This book is the fruit of an immense amount of research in the contemporary study of the Biblical covenant. No one who takes up the challenge to study it, whether scholar or not, will come away from reading it without being more astute in matters human and divine. The thesis of the book is masterly in its basic insight: life lived under Biblical covenant cannot be separated from life lived in relationships dictated by familial terms and ties. It is the family which is central to the Bible’s view of life for the simple reason that the family is central to life itself.
—James Swetnam, S. J., Pontifical Biblical Institute
Scott Hahn opens new vistas, chases down old haunts, and leads us to a fuller, deeper, and more penetrating understanding of covenant. Until we get 'covenant' right, we simply don't understand the Bible. When I think of the word 'covenant,' I think of Kinship by Covenant. When I have any questions about 'covenant,' this is the first book I will turn to for ever and a day.
—Scot McKnight, editor of The Face of New Testament Studies: A Survey of Recent Research
At last Scott Hahn’s Kinship by Covenant is published! Maintaining a masterful command of the data on biblical and ancient near eastern covenants, the work exposes how, for over a century, biblical scholarship lost sight of the covenant as a kinship-forging ritual. Richly documented, theologically profound, the book will prove an invaluable resource in Old and New Testament study.
—Gregory Yuri Glazov, Seton Hall University, Immaculate Conception Seminary

What I would like to see is more of his books published in Logos.  Here is a list of them:

• Rome Sweet Home (co-written with Kimberly Hahn), Ignatius Press, 1993. ISBN 0-89870-478-2
  • Catholic for a Reason (with Leon Suprenant, editor), Emmaus Road Publishing, 1998. ISBN 0-9663223-0-4
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises, Servant Publications, 1998. ISBN 0-89283-829-9
  • The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth, Doubleday, 1999. ISBN 0-385-49659-1
  • Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God, Doubleday, 2001. ISBN 0-385-50168-4
  • First Comes Love: Finding Your Family in the Church and the Trinity, Doubleday, 2002. ISBN 0-385-49662-1
  • Lord Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession, Doubleday, 2003. ISBN 0-385-50170-6
  • Swear to God : The Promise and Power of the Sacraments, Doubleday, 2004. ISBN 0-385-50931-6
  • Letter and Spirit : From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy, Doubleday, 2005. ISBN 0-385-50933-2
  • Ordinary Work, Extraordinary Grace, Doubleday, 2006. ISBN 978-0385-51924-3
  • Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith, Doubleday, 2007. ISBN 978-0-385-50935-0
  • Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins's Case Against God, (with Benjamin Wiker), Emmaus Road Publishing, 2008. ISBN 978-1931018487
  • Kinship by Covenant: A Canonical Approach to the Fulfillment of God's Saving Promises, Yale University Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0300140972

His books would be a valuable addition to the Logos library.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 9:13 AM

If you have read Scott Hahn, please post your evaluation or experience.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 11:08 AM

I strongly support a Scott Hahn collection -- but not too soon... (there are too many other resources I need more...) And add these to your list:

• Signs of Life

• Many are called; Rediscovering the Glory of the Priesthood

• Covenant and Communion; The Biblical Theology of Pope Benedict XVI

There are some other Scott Hahns I want as soon as possible, though:

• The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible (only the NT so far)

• Catholic Bible Dictionary

and maybe also

• The Bible at a Glance

• A Pocket Guide to the Bible.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:26 PM

fgh:
I strongly support a Scott Hahn collection

I strongly support your strong support!

fgh:
but not too soon... (there are too many other resources

I second that, too!

Good additions fgh, I had overlooked those.  They are on his website--but I cut and paste the wiki quickly, thinking (cough cough) that it would be accurate and up to date.  Thanks!  Have you read any of his stuff--what were your impressions?

Posts 35775
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 6:07 PM

Dan DeVilder:

If you have read Scott Hahn, please post your evaluation or experience.

I am always suspicious of what I call "professional converts" but Scott Hahn is an exception. One needs to divide his work between his academic work which is always very solid scholarship and his popular works. In the latter, I find his work inconsistent - not in accuracy but in holding my interest. I highly recommend his The Lamb's Supper which shows the relationship between the Mass on earth and the heavenly celebration depicted in Revelation. In Letter and Spirit: From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy Hahn tries to merge his two audiences. He succeeds in making technical terms understandable to the average person in the pew. He is excellent at separating what many Protestants think Catholics believe from what they actually believe. His study Bible and Bible reading methods are very compatible with the Logos community as a whole not just Catholics.

There also might be a market for the Didache series of teaching materials. Hahn is extremely good at visual presentation of Biblical topics.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 6:45 AM

Dan

I've read Rome Sweet Home, The Lord's Supper, and parts of a couple of others, plus an article or two -- but above all I've heard him on podcasts, probably 30-50 hours of podcasts. He's incredibly talented, especially in the area of explaining how Catholic theology is, in fact, the authentic theology of Jesus, the Apostles, and the Bible.

For anyone wanting to check him out, here are three places to start:

• The Hunt for the Fourth Cup at http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9109fea1.asp

• The Our Father's Plan-audioseries on http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/intro.asp

• The Scott Hahn Conversion Story at http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0088.html

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 8:50 AM

fgh:

Dan

I've read Rome Sweet Home, The Lord's Supper, and parts of a couple of others, plus an article or two -- but above all I've heard him on podcasts, probably 30-50 hours of podcasts. He's incredibly talented, especially in the area of explaining how Catholic theology is, in fact, the authentic theology of Jesus, the Apostles, and the Bible.

For anyone wanting to check him out, here are three places to start:

• The Hunt for the Fourth Cup at http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9109fea1.asp

• The Our Father's Plan-audioseries on http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/intro.asp

• The Scott Hahn Conversion Story at http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0088.html

Thanks, fgh.  I will check those out.  Is EWTN the primary source for his podcasts?

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 8:59 AM

MJ. Smith:
Letter and Spirit: From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy

MJ. Smith:
I highly recommend his The Lamb's Supper

Thank you for your recommendations.

MJ. Smith:
I am always suspicious of what I call "professional converts"

Right there with you.  We can pretty much find a convert for any situation, but we like to only use those who further our viewpoint. 

MJ. Smith:
He is excellent at separating what many Protestants think Catholics believe from what they actually believe.

This is a critical need, I think.  As a "non-Catholic", I have had, in many cases, stereotypes and assumptions debunked, by actually interacting with Catholics and Catholic writing.  And I have been blessed, because of it.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 9:07 AM

Dan

http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/intro.asp and http://www.catholic.com/radio/calendar_search.php would be the major ones. But you can also find many at http://www.salvationhistory.com/library/category/audio_resources and http://catholicaudio.blogspot.com/search/label/SPEAKER%3A%20Scott%20Hahn

And there's video on http://www.gloria.tv/?search=hahn, and also on YouTube, I believe.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 12:02 PM

In a similar vane - I would like to see material by Mark Shea.  He too was converted to Catholicism from Evangelical Christianity (via a brief stay in the Anglican church).  Mark's book are written more for the casual reader, rather than the scholar.  But, because of this, he is more likely to reach the people of the church.  I knew Mark in a past life (I am speaking virtually here, not in reality) - though it has now been several years since he and I have had contact.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 12:11 PM

Floyd Johnson:
I would like to see material by Mark Shea.

Had not heard of him, Floyd.  Thank you for the recommendation.

Posts 35775
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 12:37 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Mark Shea.

Mark is a member of our parish.  His Making Senses Out of Scripture: Reading the Bible As the First Christians Did is probably the one that fits most into Logos. It is a good introduction to the senses of Scripture. It does a good job of avoiding the excesses while justifying the common sense aspect of this method of biblical interpretation. I see typology as a bit more separate that he does but again he provides a well balanced introduction. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 12:41 PM

Mark Shea is good too. By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition is really great, and can definitely be recommended for anyone wanting a Catholic perspective on Scripture and Tradition. Not such a good speaker as Scott Hahn, though, in my opinion.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 2:55 PM

MJ. Smith:
Mark is a member of our parish.

MJ, say hello to Mark for me, if you cross paths.  I first met him on-line via a group known as "CHRISTIA".  When my kids started asking details about the difference between Catholicism and Protestantism, rather than giving them canned answers, Mark was kind enough to answer the questions they posed.  

As I said, it has been several years since we have been in contact.  I no longer participate in CHRISTIA - I do not know if Mark does or not.  He was a gentle brother (as were others in CHRISTIA) as I spent time rebuilding my faith after faltering a bit.  

It is a small world.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 35775
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 3:14 PM

Floyd Johnson:
say hello to Mark for me, if you cross paths.

I will; we attend different Masses (we have 6 services to chose from) but I often see him in the parking lot. Smile His oldest was married a year or two ago and I think Mark is now a grandfather. doesn't time fly?

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 3:17 PM

MJ. Smith:
doesn't time fly?

It does - though I am still  waiting for a grandchild.Smile  

Blessings to you and yours this Lord's Day.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 4:18 PM

lol, Floyd and MJ--I saw that "connection" coming down the tracks.  You are much closer than six degrees of separation, what with Logos and Mark.  Well, and Christ and the Spirit, too, lol.  Big Smile

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 4:46 PM

Dan DeVilder:

lol, Floyd and MJ--I saw that "connection" coming down the tracks.  You are much closer than six degrees of separation, what with Logos and Mark.  Well, and Christ and the Spirit, too, lol.  Big Smile

I had the same thought earlier today.  You could add that I was in Seattle once - well I supposed to be.  Our train coming up the Central Valley of California was late; so to catch the train out of Seattle, we had to take an Amtrak bus to the Eastern border of Washington State.  We missed almost the whole Columbia River Gorge.Sad 

Blessings,
Floyd

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS