Top 10 Logos 4 Tricks

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2735
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:55 PM

Hi

I have been absolutely jumping through hoops to make enough to seal the deal on a Logos 4 upgrade this month. Since I am likely to be exhausted by Sept 30th, I was wondering if some of you might share the best techniques you've learned to make your work easier with Logos 4. I know that I am not going to learn everything overnight or even over a year or two, but I bet there are some top ideas to make one's time more productive with Logos. If the ideas are uniquely Logos--that is, not common to all bible software--so much the better. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 26807
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 10:09 PM

The wiki is always a good place to look for usage hints and I'll supply a reference to hints and tricks! Browse the individual tools from the TOC to see what goodies are hidden away!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26
Daniel B. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 10:22 PM

Logos 4 Video tutorials are the way to go, in addition to the wiki.

Admittedly, I have only watched the video tutorials by Mark Barnes. However, I watched them all (they are GREAT). After having watched them, my Logos proficiency grew exponentially and within 1 day I decided to even upgrade from Leader's to Scholar's version. Some of the best videos are on Collections and Layouts.

"A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministrations of a Christ without a cross" Helmut Richard Niebuhr: The Kingdom of God in America (speaking facetiously)

Posts 1700
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 27 2010 2:31 AM

You want a top-10 suggestions?

1. Prioritize your resources, so Logos offers definitions from your preferred dictionaries/lexicons first.
  2. Use the Information window (Tools | Lookup) to check your understanding as you read.
  3. Right-click words, places, people to get more info about them.
  4. Create collections (e.g. English dictionaries) so you can search within them, and for authors so you can power-lookup who quotes them.
  5. Create your own passage guide (Guides | Make a new guide template), using your own collections (e.g. preferred commentaries.)
  6. Use a floating window for Search, Library, and Collections, so you can take it full-screen and see all the columns.
  7. Add tags and short names to your resources, to make them easier to find and call up.
  8. Use the Command box to open things, e.g. "open kjv in a new window".
  9. If you are studying several things at once, create a layout for each.
  10. Assign letters to your favorite highlighters.

HTH

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 27 2010 2:41 AM

Allen Browne:

You want a top-10 suggestions?

1. Prioritize your resources, so Logos offers definitions from your preferred dictionaries/lexicons first.
  2. Use the Information window (Tools | Lookup) to check your understanding as you read.
  3. Right-click words, places, people to get more info about them.
  4. Create collections (e.g. English dictionaries) so you can search within them, and for authors so you can power-lookup who quotes them.
  5. Create your own passage guide (Guides | Make a new guide template), using your own collections (e.g. preferred commentaries.)
  6. Use a floating window for Search, Library, and Collections, so you can take it full-screen and see all the columns.
  7. Add tags and short names to your resources, to make them easier to find and call up.
  8. Use the Command box to open things, e.g. "open kjv in a new window".
  9. If you are studying several things at once, create a layout for each.
  10. Assign letters to your favorite highlighters.

Great Suggestions! I would add a couple, and probably prioritize some of them above some of yours, but I would do so reluctantly because all of yours are great, and your set is just as valid as anything I could formulate! :-) Off the top of my head:

-Use F7 when hovering over a reference to view it in several translations.

-CTRL+SHIFT+W is beautiful to memorize. Closes everything when things start to get cluttered.

-In Windows 7 put L4 1st on the taskbar. then press WINDOW+1 for the first floating window, WINDOW+1+1 for the second, etc.

-Buy a second monitor.

-Read/soak in the Word. Without this one, all the other tips are meaningless.

Posts 1700
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 27 2010 3:12 AM

Philip Spitzer:

LOL. Love it, Philip.

Posts 2735
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 7:27 PM

Hadn't gotten around to coming back and saying a big thank you to everyone for their ideas. I am beginning to put a number of them into practice and will probably return here to review some of them. I love the F7, the priorities is a must, and the layouts make a lot of sense for each new study. One thing is to schedule some time for the videos. 

Very happy with L4. Turns out that I didn't need to jump through a lot of hoops to get it after all, but it still would have been more than worth it!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 7:41 PM

I missed this thread when it first came up, but now I'll pipe in with another tip:

Nearly everything is draggable. You can drag book tabs to rearrange layouts, to put these items in your Favorites or on your shortcut bar. You can drag book titles or even commands from the dropdown menu that pops up when you type something in the command bar. Use this to create shortcuts to commands on your shortcut bar. You can drag names of files, guides, and tools from their respective menus to open them in a specific location instead of whatever default L4 would choose. You can drag from search result hits to open in a particular location. You can drag collection names from the Open menu in the collection tab into the "Plus these resources" area to make nested collections. (Mark Barnes mentions that in his advanced collections video.

Experiment around and you might find other draggable things I've missed.

Posts 6722
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 8:35 PM

Good stuff, keep it coming. I am learning as I read. The F7 trick I had forgotten about. The one on Windows +1, have not figured out as yet.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 9:21 PM

I like the accessibility to your resources with just a right click.  Also in an open Greek or Hebrew resource you can right click a word, choose selection on the right and copy on the left and it will copy to your clipboard where you can paste it elsewhere.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:12 AM

I created a notes document called "Logos Cheat Sheet".  Everytime I learn a new trick, I put it in there.  I refer to it periodically or whenever I forget how to do something.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:25 AM

Great Idea! Can't wait till Notes can be shared. don't expect that will be for a good while, though.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:04 AM

This isn't a Logos software trick, but one thing I recently learned was that on my laptop with Windows 7, I could right click on the task bar and select properties and then check auto-hide the task bar.  Then the task bar, which takes up about a half inch of my display, would disappear as I am using Logos unless I ran my mouse arrow down to where it used to be and then it would popup.  On a laptop, screen real estate is at a premium, so I was happy to find this feature.   

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 2735
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 10:12 AM

Jerry's idea is equally applicable to Mac folks. The default on the Dock can be switched to hide it. Even on a bigger screen that's another 1/2 inch or so for the main Logos window.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 12:00 PM

Can you share your Logos Cheat Sheet? :)

Posts 3810
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 12:09 PM

Ryan:
Can you share your Logos Cheat Sheet? :) 

I, too, would like to see it.  

Maybe print it out as a PDF or copy and past its contents into a followup message to this thread.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 1:27 PM

Floyd Johnson:
copy and past its contents into a followup message to this thread.

Logos 4 Tricks pasted into thread provides Wiki editors opportunity to enhance => http://wiki.logos.com/Hints_and_Tips (plus Personal Book creation).

Earlier in thread noticed Lexicon right click; with proper prioritization, right click on lemma shows one set of lexicons while clicking Strong's number shows another set of lexicons, discussed in thread => DBL Greek lexicon link problems (includes screen shots).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:04 PM

Here is what I have below.  I tried to attach a text doc but it didn't work.

I hope it helps!

Logos 4 cheat sheet

Clippings = index cards
Highlight and drag into clippings, or right click and add
Ctrl+F =search clippings
---
Highlighting
Highlighting: :  select text and press ctrl+K,  (erase: shift+ctrl+K)
---
Maps
Tools: Biblical places
click on city, click on coordinates and see it on Google maps
---
Layout
Move a block of books in a window:  Shift+drag mouse
---
Images
- #image ANDEQUALS apostle or  #image@jesus

-Entries/headings in a book:  command: heading: xxxx
-Open library: by types, media - 26 resources
---
Search Alt+S
-Search in an open book:  Ctrl+F
-Entries/headings in a book:  command: heading: xxxx

-Jesus' words:  command: words-of-Christ: xxxx
-Pericopies:  tools, pass analysis, type word

-Words Transliterated
g:(transliterated word)
h:(transliterated word)

WORD Use:
basic search for (type verse) in Dictionaries or Encyclopedia will pull all of the occurences of that verse

---
Open copies of same book
Open the desired book from the Library
Right-click on the tab and click Open a copy in a new tab
---
Keystrokes
Search Alt+S                 Homepage=Alt + H    
Alt + L=Library             Alt + F=File menu
Alt + G=Guides            Alt + T=Tools
Alt + A=Layout             Alt + D=Command box
F5 = Refresh homepage 
Open Library= Ctrl + L
Find=Ctrl+F
---

Exported from Logos Bible Software 4, 8:06 PM September 06, 2011.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2011 12:20 AM

Allen Browne:

Philip Spitzer:

LOL. Love it, Philip.

Smiling Geeked

Please review => http://wiki.logos.com/Hints_and_Tips and offer more suggestion(s).  Apologies: know missed some Logos 4 Hints and Tips in this thread (need to sleep before can do more with wiki page).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS