Was curious if this was for the wealthy Christians :(

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Blake Barnett | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 28 2010 1:50 AM

I am 20 and have been working min-wage jobs the past three years since I graduated high school. I didn't come to know the lord until my grandmother died but Before my grandma pasted away in 2007 she gave me her " Mac Arthur Study Bible " and I've been reading it since. I work long days to support my family, and try to share the stuff god shows me in his word everyday. I know that time is precious and with work and school , I feel like I don't have enough time to study the bible like I could be. 

I was wondering out of curiosity if there were student discounts , or a way that I could get help. I know I am not physically wealthy, but my heart is a spiritual entrepreneur. I glad I stumbled onto this site, but at the same was just curious if this site was for the wealthy Christians.

Appreciate your time,  Blake Barnett

Posts 6724
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 2:42 AM

Welcome to the Forums Blake. No, the site is not for wealthy Christians. if you poke around you will find something for everyone. Start by looking at the New Electronic Bible Library, The Preacher's Essential Library, or the WEA Theological Resource Library. Then move over to the Pre-Pub page and ask it to sort by the lowest prices. 

Then go to the Community pricing page, for some great deals. 

Finally, if you like free stuff, try this: Free Books. 

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 2:44 AM

Blake Barnett:
   I was wondering out of curiosity if there were student discounts , or a way that I could get help. I know I am not physically wealthy, but my heart is a spiritual entrepreneur. I glad I stumbled onto this site, but at the same was just curious if this site was for the wealthy Christians.

Its so good to here about someone who hungers and thirsts for the Word. Thanks! There are student discounts and you can find out more about it at http://www.logos.com/academic/program Giving Logos' 800 number a try is always a good choice.

Is Logos for wealthy Christians? I can only say that if Logos was intended for only wealthy Christians then it would be free so that all Christians could have it.  I hate to speak for Logos, because I can't, but I believe it is intended and desired for all Christians, and priced not according to who Logos wants to have it, but according to what will keep the company going and profitable so that at least some might have it. Its kinda a catch 22, without charging the price they charge they could not make the product they do  and with charging the price they do not everyone they want to have the product can have it.

Don't feel like you have to shoot for the moon with Logos, either. I know even the lowest packages can pinch a tight wallet, but they are worth starting with.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 4:25 AM

Blake,

i agree with all that's been said...start where you can....

You can start with just the "Bible Study" level, at 250.00, and pay for it in payments that are spread out over a year....about 20 a month for a year..(I'm just estimating...it could be less)

That's not much more than the cost of buying a soda at  work every day and maybe a "Big Mac Combo" once a month....it's very possible to do....

When I bought my first Logos software a few years ago...I thought the same thing...that I'd be hard pressed to afford something that expensive...but I did...and didn't even notice it...I paid on the payment plan and I've been blessed and happy that I did ever since.

I hope that sheds a little perspective on it for you...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 5:01 AM

I am definitely not a wealthy Christian.  I have friends who spend money on 4-wheelers and deer hunting equipment.  I spend my hobby dollars on logos.  Over the years I've managed to build up to the Scholar's Silver library with a few extras.  I love God's Word and it's great to hear about someone else who loves it too.  Pray and ask God to help you with this and then don't be afraid to start small and use what you have (even if it's only the MacArthur Study Bible).  

Posts 36
Nathan Madison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 5:04 AM

Here, Here there are a number of us like myself i started in 1998 with a very basic package and have been adding to my library since. Sometime i only added the one i needed  other times i upgraded to the next level package. Logos personnel are great the will work with you on payment arrangments and academic purchases. They will even  look at items you would like to purchase and help you figure out the best way to get them with in your budget.  

Nathan Madison

Posts 85
Mike Waugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 5:26 AM

Blake, welcome to the forum. I assure you, Logos isn't for wealthy Christians. I bought Scholars Library in '04 (or maybe '05) as a full-time student who worked part-time while supporting a family (somehow, by the grace of God).

I bought Scholars Library for 50% off as part of a student discount. My suggestion: Speak with someone in sales and ask them if they offer a student discount. They may not have it as a standard practice, but when I called and asked about it they worked with me to get their promotional material into my small Bible College and offered the 50% discount as part of that promotion. 

Give it a shot - you never know? 

Dell Studio XPS16 / Win 7 64bit / i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz (2.80GHz Turbo) 6MB Cache / 4GB RAM / 500GM Hard Disk @ 7200 RPM / ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 5:43 AM

Some of the comments raised reminded me that for years in the past men have spent long periods of time and many dollars forming a library from paper books. Logos offers the same exact thing for the computer for those who are interested. In addition you can also by a bunch of books all at the same time.;

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 6:05 AM

Good suggestion, Mike W!  Blake, you do what you can.  Search for the free software packages if you want or need to.  But do what you can to get a good starter package with Logos.  Look at it as an investment over time.

Getting started now will allow you to grow with Logos.  My neighbor just came to the Lord about 1 year ago, and about 6 months ago, he bought Logos Scholars on a payment plan.  He uses it every day, reading, learning, getting to know all the nooks and crannies of this software that has so much to offer.  He loves it.

Hooking up with a good sales rep (I use jared AT logos (dot) com) will start a mutually beneficial relationship--he/she gets your business, and you get better deals as you have need/money.

I love carrying around a few thousand books (bought over several years) . . . in my bookbag!  I started out with a simple base package that I saw on sale at a bookstore almost 7 years ago.  And that was all I had until I started getting some extra book buying money--which I combined with deals that would come up on occasion. Even a base package is going to get you a few hundred books to "start" on.  And you can always ask for Logos for Christmas.  :)

Let us know what you end up doing, if you like. 

I am not rich by any means.  My cars are 11-16 years old, I have 9 kids at my house (4 are mine), and let's just say that Obama isn't speaking to me when he talks about the wealthy or the middle class.  Wink

Peace

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS