Word Biblical Commentary - can you advise me?

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1700
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 3:21 AM

nicky crane:
I'm over the moon with the commentary on Exodus 1 and 2.

Agreed, Nicky.

The Genesis volumes (by Gordon Wenham) are also excellent. Even his intro puts them in current perspective.

Then you can start enjoying the other volumes as time permits. :-) Goldingay, Longnecker, O'Brien, Mounce, Lane, Bauckham,  and so on. Lots to discover.

Posts 279
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 11:20 AM

I have used the WBC in paper form since 1994 every week in my preaching/teaching. I have found it to be very valuable - particularly for background, word studies, etc.  I agree with those who say that the formatting can be confusing. The theological perspective of some of the authors is a little "out there" for this conservative Southern Baptist, but even in those volumes there are good exegetical insights.   I have not bought the series in Logos yet, but I will eventually. I feel that the set is well worth the $400-500 range that it seems to go on sale for.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:12 PM

Allen Browne:

The Genesis volumes (by Gordon Wenham) are also excellent. Even his intro puts them in current perspective.

I remember Gordon Wenham from the time we were both students at Cambridge.  He won't remember me.  He was known to be bright then.  So I follow his rise to fame with interest.  I've already got his book on Torah as Narrative, or something to that effect, which interests me as I'm into Bible storying.  I've started looking at what he says about "Abram believed God, and God counted him as righteous."  We paraphrase the memory verses for the children, to try to make them comprehensible.  In order to paraphrase, rather than parrot, you need to understand what the verse is about.  They look up to me as a teacher, and I am constantly more and more aware how much I have to learn.  People used to say I was  wasting my brain working with uneducated people.  But communicating to the unschooled stretches my theological knowledge to its limits and beyond!  Thank God for the help of Logos!Wink

Posts 3181
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:31 PM

nicky crane:
People used to say I was  wasting my brain working with uneducated people.  But communicating to the unschooled stretches my theological knowledge to its limits and beyond!  Thank God for the help of Logos!

Thank you Nicky May God bless you,I have taken your comments to my heart ,they are very sweet,We need brothers and sisters, who take time to communicate the Gospel to the poor and unnoticed by the world,just as Jesus did with Samaritan woman in  John 4: It is a great Job ,I am very glad to have a friend like you in the forum as well. 

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:33 PM

nicky crane:
People used to say I was  wasting my brain working with uneducated people.  But communicating to the unschooled stretches my theological knowledge to its limits and beyond!

The uneducated are in most dire need of the best and brightest teachers...Not the educated.  Likewise, God's lost people are in the most dire need of His best, brightest, and faithful-est teachers.  Go get'em Nicky.  And educate'em to the best of your abilities.  Never hold back.  You're not wasting your brains.  You're exactly where God needs you to be.  I applaud you.  Cambridge...Wenham...Talk about holding back!  Smile

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:34 PM

Bless you, Tes!  You're such an encouragement, and surely not just to me!Angel

Posts 3181
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:49 PM

JM:

nicky crane:
People used to say I was  wasting my brain working with uneducated people.  But communicating to the unschooled stretches my theological knowledge to its limits and beyond!

The uneducated are in most dire need of the best and brightest teachers...Not the educated.  Likewise, God's lost people are in the most dire need of His best, brightest, and faithful-est teachers.  Go get'em Nicky.  And educate'em to the best of your abilities.  Never hold back.  You're not wasting your brains.  You're exactly where God needs you to be.  I applaud you.  Cambridge...Wenham...Talk about holding back!  Smile

May the Lord bless you JM that's it you are right.He is in the right place for the right people,:

Blessings in Christ.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS