Create our own "footnotes" in Bible texts?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:38 AM

I was in John 1 and saw an interesting reference in Robertson's Grammar which I wanted to add to the text of the ESV. I created a NOTE (called John 1) and then selected (highlighted) a word in the ESV, right-clicked on it and selected "add a note to John 1". Then I had to ...  copy and paste Robertson's comment - but the reference was not documented. I had to type in at the end of the comment: " - Robertson, Grammar p. 883". But this is not a link.

Is there a better way to do something like this?

If in my reading I find a gem and want to be reminded of it whenever I read the passage it relates to, I would like to be able to create my own "footnote" which might automatically store the link to the resource I am quoting.

Any ideas?

Posts 71
Paul Buckhiester | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:55 AM

Yes

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 12:19 PM

Notes are currently linked to one resource (the one they're created from). It seems you're suggesting they should be linked to two resources, which I think could get confusing. But you can still achieve what you want by:

1. Creating the note in the ESV.
  2. Then copy and paste the text from Robertson's, then add a few words as a source (e.g. "Robertson, pg 883").
  3. Go back to Robertson's, and click on the book cover and choose "Copy location as URL".
  4. Then go back to your note, and select the words you used for the source, go up to the hyperlink field, choose paste (right-click or CTRL+V), and press Enter.
Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 1:07 PM

I do this type of linking all the time. It has been helpful for me to use "Notepad" into which I paste my "Copy" / "Selection." E.g., I just selected this and copied it from a commentary . . .

The superscription of Micah is a phrase followed by two relative clauses. There are four elements in this superscription. First is the title, “The word of Yahweh which came to Micah.” This title asserts that what follows is authoritative because it is the word of Yahweh, Israel’s covenant God. The superscriptions of Hosea, Zephaniah, and Joel begin with these same words. The word of Yahweh is described as one which “came.” “Came” like “happened” points to the fact that it had its origin outside the prophet.

Ralph L. Smith, vol. 32, Word Biblical Commentary : Micah-Malachi, Word Biblical Commentary (Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 2002), 13.

You'll note the reference comes with it when pasted into Notepad. I then Select All (Ctrl+A), Copy (Ctrl+C), then Right Click on the verse number in my Bible / or the selected word(s), and Paste (Ctrl+V) this into the new note. Then, as noted above, I click in my Source, click on the book cover, select "Copy location as URL," then back to my note, Select the Reference Info. Click in the Hyperlink Field, Paste (Ctrl+V), press Enter, and, yea, I have a Note and Hyperlink to my source!

Hope this helps . . .

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS