Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 30 2010 2:21 PM | Locked

Does SR1 mean that version 4.1 is official and available for general use now? I would have thought an SR was a patch for an official version, but since the announcement calls it a beta, it sounds like 4.1 is only available on the beta channel.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 2:27 PM | Locked

The current theory (unconfirmed by Logos) is that 4.1 has gone gold, but they're holding off releasing it on the stable channel until after the official release of the Mac version. We assume they want to be able to announce parity between the two versions, which they can't if the Windows version is on 4.1.

Posts 9481
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 2:27 PM | Locked

It is not available on the normal update channel yet. You are right, SR-# usually means a patch after a release but in this case it is just a clean-up before release. We'll get the download notice when it is in the Official Release status.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:03 PM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

The current theory (unconfirmed by Logos) is that 4.1 has gone gold, but they're holding off releasing it on the stable channel until after the official release of the Mac version. We assume they want to be able to announce parity between the two versions, which they can't if the Windows version is on 4.1.

Hi Mark, I've read similar theories this week and it just wouldn't seem right for marketing purposes to hold off a release of this magnitude. That would equate to unnecessarily denying folks basic functionality such as printing that they have already been patiently waiting months for. A bunch of folks are not going to download 4.1 until Logos gives it the gold stamp. I sure hope the theories are not correct. Zip it!

Blessings!  

Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:52 PM | Locked

Ray D:
A bunch of folks are not going to download 4.1 until Logos gives it the gold stamp.

4.1 SR-1 is one release after "Gold" ie. it came 15 days after RC2. If they had released it as 4.1 RC3 then there would be some doubts about "Gold".

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 8:43 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Ray D:
A bunch of folks are not going to download 4.1 until Logos gives it the gold stamp.

4.1 SR-1 is one release after "Gold" ie. it came 15 days after RC2. If they had released it as 4.1 RC3 then there would be some doubts about "Gold".

If 4.1 is an "official" or Gold release, then why hasn't Logos informed us of such. Also, why is SR-1 only available on the Beta Channel. There's something odd here - a SR coming before an official release. Maybe Logos will chime in to clear up the confusion.

Posts 19252
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 9:19 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Ray D:

That is really weird. They've still not declared RC2 as "Gold" so that means that 4.1 gold has still not officially been released? Now suppose they are holding off on announcing it until after Mac L4's official release? Then they'll have the situation that 4.1 SR-1 released before 4.1 Gold.

Furthermore, since 4.1 SR-1 has been released now on the stable channel, it is no longer possible to download RC2, whether it is declared "gold" or not. EDIT: Oops, I just read Ray's later post that said SR1 is only available on the beta channel thus far.

Nonetheless, to Ray and anyone else who was wondering, a Service Release (SR) is as stable as, if not more stable than, a "Gold" release. It's just puzzling why they've thus far skipped calling RC2 the "Gold" release. Maybe it's an internal decision/assumption they've made, but they simply forgot to update the Release Notes wiki page. (But then they forgot to blog about the release being final, too...Confused)

EDIT: No, the more I think of it, the more I think this must have something to do with waiting to announce 4.1 "gold" and release SR-1 on the stable channel until after Mac ships.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 9:37 PM | Locked

Mark Barnes:
We assume they want to be able to announce parity between the two versions

While I think they are holding off 4.1 until the Mac version is officially unveiled, I don't think this is the reason. It would be hard to claim parity when some things are still missing (handouts) and some issues remain (slowdowns in various parts, scrolling issues, still some tools here and there incomplete, etc). It actually annoys me a little that the current Mac version is called gold master since I don't think it's ready for that designation. It would annoy me more if parity was pushed too far, particularly if it were something gimmicky like holding off 4.1 for that purpose. So I don't think that's what they are doing... I hope.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 6:12 AM | Locked

Chris Roberts:
particularly if it were something gimmicky like holding off 4.1 for that purpose.
Funny.  Being a former marketing wannabe I see that as good policy  from the keeping a promise camp.  They promised parity and they're going to have it (except for handouts which they've explained and I think one other thing)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 6:41 AM | Locked

Perhaps I'm being unfair. We don't know the full story. Maybe it's something as simple as making sure support don't have to cope with 4.1 calls into they've got the Mac release out of the door.

Or perhaps (and now I think about it, perhaps this is more likely) it's to ensure Mac 4.0 users can fully sync from their Windows installation before the Windows version updates and won't sync everything any longer (I think shortcuts and bookmarks won't sync from 4.1 to 4.0). A lot of Mac users have been using the Windows version on Parallels, and I imagine the first thing they'd want to do after the Mac version ships is to get their data synced.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:02 AM | Locked

Ok Mark your speculation makes more sense than mine.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 9:07 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:
(I think shortcuts and bookmarks won't sync from 4.1 to 4.0)

I dunno, I use both side-by-side, 4.1 on Fusion/Bootcamp and the various Mac releases. I don't use Favorites so I can't speak to its syncing, but I've not had trouble with my few shortcuts.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 3:06 PM | Locked

Chris Roberts:
I've not had trouble with my few shortcuts.

The release notes from 4.1 beta 2 say: "New shortcut data is being synchronized, with older versions prevented from downloading the new shortcuts."

Posts 65
Dale Winters | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 4:22 PM | Locked

I've not been one to go the beta route but am temted to with this SR1.  I'm not dying for the added features but just anxious to play around.  For those of you that have installed it, how has it performed?  Is it as stable as the latest nonbeta?  What are your thoughts?

Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 4:24 PM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

Chris Roberts:
I've not had trouble with my few shortcuts.

The release notes from 4.1 beta 2 say: "New shortcut data is being synchronized, with older versions prevented from downloading the new shortcuts."

A shortcut created in 4.1 will download to older versions without the additional data attributes from 4.1 (if memory serves me right)!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 4:35 PM | Locked

Dale Winters:
Is it as stable as the latest nonbeta? 

I didn't really want to be a "tester", but I jumped in at about beta #4 and haven't had any problems.  On the other hand, I watch the forums and if a bug surfaces I avoid whatever caused it.  IMO this series of betas seemed to be free of serious bugs.  Others may have a different opinion/experience.  I feel Logos has some talented programmers on board. 

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 4:36 PM | Locked

Dale Winters:
I'm not dying for the added features but just anxious to play around.

My experience with 4.1 has been positive - it is stable and performs as well as 4.0d!  But read the reports (RC2 and SR-1) in this Forum from other users who undoubtedly utilise different features of L4 or use the same ones differently.

I will say that SR-1 will behave no differently on the stable channel when released than it does on the beta channel!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 4:44 PM | Locked

Logos4 for Mac is now released.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 4:53 PM | Locked

Dale Winters:
I've not been one to go the beta route but am temted to with this SR1.  I'm not dying for the added features but just anxious to play around.  For those of you that have installed it, how has it performed?  Is it as stable as the latest nonbeta?  What are your thoughts?

It's a non-beta release in all but name, so I'd go for it.

If you install it from this link, you won't have to mess about with channels: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/InstallerBeta/Logos4Setup.exe

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 8:10 PM | Locked

I'm not a beta person but I tried the link Mark indicated for 4.1 beta. Installed fine etc. Absent knowing what's new, everything as before (meaning ok). But tried a print/export in a resource box and promptly crashed it. I'm probably unusual since this pc's never had a printer installed from the W7 release. The export though would sure be great. I'll wait for the auto-update.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS