"And" search not working properly -- I think?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 17
Jack H. Hughes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 2 2010 9:14 AM

When I do a bible search in the NASB, search range "Gospels" Matthew - John, and do the search  Caesar and king it gives me one hit, Lk. 23:2, but I know those two words also appear in John 19:12 & 15. Am I doing something wrong? Does "and" have to be in all caps "AND" when you use search opperators?

Notice that John 19:15 has the same two words but desn't show up in the hits description. I am confused.

Posts 43
Ben Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 9:18 AM

The "and" should be "AND" capitalized. Better yet, you do not need to insert "AND" because it is assumed. Ben

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 10:36 AM

What Ben says is correct.

In fact all search operators must be in all caps.

Also, as Ben states the AND operator is not required (at least for simple searches), though it is supported.  Putting a space between the words should be enough.

You may also want to check whether or not "Match all word forms" is checked or not on your search options (click the magnifying glass icon to access). If it is checked you will get not only "king" but also "kings," and "king's." This is helpful when you're not exactly sure about the form of the word, but can produce unanticipated results for some words.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 17
Jack H. Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 12:27 PM

Well, imagine that, now I know. So here is another search anomoly I am having. I searched the book of Proverbs for "Flattery" but came up with no hits. I tried "Flatterer" and came up with 6 hits, none of them "flatterer" but "flatters," "flattering." I do not understand why one produces hits and not another. I am wondering how many hits I am missing because of ignorance. Any help on this one?

Posts 4903
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 2:28 PM

<response deleted>

Posts 13341
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 2:36 PM

Jack H. Hughes:
I searched the book of Proverbs for "Flattery" but came up with no hits. I tried "Flatterer" and came up with 6 hits, none of them "flatterer" but "flatters," "flattering."

The "search all word forms" described above is a computer algorithm that guesses the correct word forms, and in this case guessed wrong (it didn't guess that flatters/flattering/etc. was related to flattery). So you shouldn't rely on it if you must have absolutely every form of a word with no false positives.

In your case I would suggest the search flatter* (where the * represents any number of characters). It returns the same six results, but it's guaranteed not to miss any word that begins with flatter.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS