Poor mac performance

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 6:05 PM

Walter Pahk:
Is QuartzGL implemented in this thing?

Performance is a complicated topic and it is hard to make a general statement like, "using QuartzGL will speed up any application."

Turning on QuartzGL is actually a very simple operation—you simply indicate in your app bundle whether you would like it to be enabled. However, it does not help all applications, and in some cases, it even has a negative impact. We've experimented with turning on QuartzGL for our app, and it doesn't help. If you would like to verify this for yourself, you can either look up the necessary app bundle modifications or install the developer tools and use QuartzDebug to force Logos 4 to use QuartzGL.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 4
Walter Pahk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 6:43 PM

Interesting ... QuartzGL has no impact for Logos 4. Well, then you guys got your work really cut out for you. I mean you've done a fantastic job of features and what not but even this latest version (released today) has a bug in that resizing the home-screen causes the contents to disappear and then reappear - actually now it's kind of gone for good. Weird. 

But once again, it does kind of irk me that my uber mac is slower than my work issued core 2 duo laptop ... hope that changes soon.

Thanks,

Walter

Posts 3
Mark A. Jamison | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:09 PM

I don't run into this problem, but I also wonder if it is Hardware related.

I've got an i5 macbook pro and 8GB of Ram, and I've never experienced slowdowns. ANd that is with Lotus Notes , VMWARE Fusion and ocasionaly even Starcraft II running in other spaces.

-Mark

Posts 3
Mark A. Jamison | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:20 PM

Walter Pahk:

Here are my System Specs:

- iMac 27 Quad Core i7 @ 2.93GHz

- 12GBs of RAM

- Vertex 2 Solid State Drive 180 GBs

- ATI Radeon 5750 1GB RAM

- Sno Cat 10.6.4 with Leopard Graphics update

In a nutshell,  the Logos 4 interface is beautiful BUT very slow. I installed logos 4 since beta 22 and i am currently running 4.10.4.6016. 

This thing needs some SERIOUS OPTIMIZATION - To the Mac LEAD DEVELOPERS:

Is QuartzGL implemented in this thing? I simply cannot believe how slow re-sizing the screen is as well as scrolling. Logos on a mac like the one I spent a pretty penny on should be WAY WAY faster than my PC Core 2 Duo laptop with its 5400 RPM drive but embarrassingly - it's NOT.

I realize that optimizations are on the WAY but please - SPEND TIME to implement QuartzGL if you haven't already done so. For instance:

Comparing Adobe Acrobat 9 (Non QuartzGL) vs Apple's Preview (QuartzGL), the speed delta is night and day - literally. 

Thanks for listening !!!

Ok, My Mac is not as nice as yours:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

OS X 10.6.4

Rosetta currently not installed. Not completely 

Currently my bar at the bottom is lit like a christmas tree (i.e. nearly everything open that I might use, including the bloatware that is Lotus Notes) 

However resizing and scrolling are all subsecond. 

Wonder if the SSD is giving you problems. They are the raid 5 of this generation.

Posts 103
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:34 AM

Yeah my experience to date is the L4Mac is in need of speed improvements. The Interface just chugs, Indexing is laborious (last update took 8 hours+ to index), Have a coffee and come back for passage guide results with just a few other apps running (if L4Mac is indexing I don’t even bother to run the app, just way too slow).

If I shut down every other possible application the performance is ok.

On the positive side, stability seems to be moving ahead in leaps and bounds. A far cry, even from just a few months ago. There do seem to be recent interface performance improvements but it could just be my imagination.

Using a MBP with a Dual Core 2.53GHz processor, 4Gig Ram and WD 640Gig Hdd.

Simon

Posts 1
socalpastor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 2:35 PM

David, I did what you said and deleted /Library/Application Support/Logos4 and then re-downloaded.  It has been stuck on "Dowloading resources" at 95% of 7.07 GB for about 18 hours.  Any ideas?

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 2:40 PM

Christopher C Lewis:

David, I did what you said and deleted /Library/Application Support/Logos4 and then re-downloaded.  It has been stuck on "Dowloading resources" at 95% of 7.07 GB for about 18 hours.  Any ideas?

If you upload your logs, I can take a look at what's going on.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 10
Scott Aniol | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 8:57 AM

Can you take a look at my logs, David. Things are VERY slow for me as well.

6743832.Archive.zip

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 9:23 AM

Scott Aniol:
Can you take a look at my logs, David? Things are VERY slow for me as well.

I'll need a bit more information than that. What things, specifically, are slow for you?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 9:46 AM

Michael Paul:
but it has become intolerable when nearly every click or scroll results in the spinner for 5-10 seconds

We just discovered a critical performance bug with Power Lookup and Information panel that cause screen redraws when these panels are refreshed. For now, unlinking these panels (or closing them when you don't need them) is a workaround until we can get this addressed in an upcoming release.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 9:03 PM

I have also noticed that whenever the Library is opened in a pane it causes a real slowdown in performance.

Additionally, the Prayer List is so incredibly slow as to make it virtually unusable while it is open in a pane.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 10 2010 6:44 PM

David Mitchell:

Scott Aniol:
Can you take a look at my logs, David? Things are VERY slow for me as well.

I'll need a bit more information than that. What things, specifically, are slow for you?

Please see forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/24208.aspx (same set of logs posted in 3 threads)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS