A thought about the Notes dilemma

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 4 2010 3:29 AM

I hate to resurrect a hot issue like notes but I had a thought and wanted to float it out there. I personally like the position that Logos takes on notes. Part of the reason for that is because I don't take notes well, so simple works very well when I do use them. However part of the reason I don't take notes well isn't because I'm bad at formatting, but because I'm bad at organizing them and finding them later. All I want while I'm reading is a way to quickly jot down my note so that I can find it whenever I need to in the future and keep on reading. for this the current formatting options work just fine but the notes infrastructure is what is lacking. I don't need to be able to outline my notes in a single note. I need to be able to outline my notes through the structure of the notes.

For instance I'm falling in love with Tozer. I am finding that his heart for God oozes through his words about God. I would like to track the various statements he makes about particular doctrines throughout all his writings. As I am reading a resource and I come to a place that speaks about God's mercy I want to see all the notes I've made by Tozer that deal with God's mercy in some kind of a structured way. I think user tags everywhere would work for this. If I could affix tags withinin a resource basically allowing me, and perhaps through the cloud other users, to create a topical database and I could affix tags to notes then as I'm reading through a resource and come that has a tag of mercy, or some kind of algorithm that picks up mercy as a significant theme of the section, all of my tagged notes that have both Tozer and Mercy as tags are displayed through something like an explorer window.

Yes, I'm making this up as I go so it may not make a lot of sense, but I'm trusting other peoples comments to simplify my jibberish. Suppose in this "Notes explorer" window I can set "Tozer" as a mandatory tag for displayed notes. Now as I'm reading and I come to a Tozer and I come to a section dealing with mercy I see my notes from other resources dealing with Mercy. This thought is even better. Suppose I set my Notes explorer window to Tozer and begin reading Erickson's Christian Theology.  Now as I'm reading Erickson I'm able to compare it with the notes (and maybe clippings) I've made of Tozer very easily. Want to see what someone else said about the current topic? No problem. Just change the "locked" tag of the Notes Explorer window. Or lock in the Mercy tag. Now as I come to a section dealing with Grace I will see tags that I marked with both grace and Mercy so I can see how various people connected the two concepts.

Actually come to think of it this would be better considered as a Tag Explorer. I know Logos said they were working on the tag thing, but with a tag explorer it could pull in all the notes, clippings, resource sections, and books tagged in various ways, all within one place. Tag a saved passage guide. Every time you come to a place where someone discusses mercy, you will be able to see the passages you have tagged with that  topic. Same with Word studies.

OK. I've rambled enough. :-)

Posts 33402
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 1:18 AM

Yes

But not as a substitute for some "fixes" to notes which I use for the raw materials for generating Bible study lessons.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 1:34 AM

MJ. Smith:

Yes

But not as a substitute for some "fixes" to notes which I use for the raw materials for generating Bible study lessons.

Fair enough :-)

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:01 AM

Good thoughts Phillip...I agree

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:37 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Actually come to think of it this would be better considered as a Tag Explorer. I know Logos said they were working on the tag thing, but with a tag explorer it could pull in all the notes, clippings, resource sections, and books tagged in various ways, all within one place. Tag a saved passage guide. Every time you come to a place where someone discusses mercy, you will be able to see the passages you have tagged with that  topic. Same with Word studies.

Good thoughts, as long as MJ will be happy with the outcome.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS