Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible Bundle - still "Gathering Interest"

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 51
Lloyd Wicker | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 6 2010 11:24 AM

So I'm wondering what it will take to see the Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible Bundle to get beyond "Gathering Interest" and to "Under Contract."  I've so enjoyed the New Testament equivalent of this resource.  If you have too, let's move that bar to 100% and get this one on the road to production.

Rev. Lloyd Wicker - Crossroads Leadership Coaching

MacBook Pro - 2.3Ghz Intel Core i5 - 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 - MacOSX Mountain Lion - Crucial 512GB SSD - Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 1:10 PM

YesYesYesBeerCake

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 1:39 PM

nicky crane:

YesYesYesBeerCake

If I were stuck on an Paradise this is one resource I want to have with me.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 2:47 PM

I ordered as soon as it came out. I hope we can get it published!

Posts 19701
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 2:57 PM

I too ordered it as soon as it came out (well, as soon as the confusion over what was included in which bundle was straightened out).

Would love to see this one get into production! Yes

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 3:07 PM

I would trade two Snail's and a Pizza for this resource!

If you've bought a base package you must have some of the Lexham resources!

Pick this one up too!! 

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 4:39 PM

It is twice the price of the NT pre-pub version, so I will have to let it pass.  However, I do realize that the OT is more than twice the length of the NT, so maybe this is not a bad deal.

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 4:43 PM

Chris:

It is twice the price of the NT pre-pub version, so I will have to let it pass.  However, I do realize that the OT is more than twice the length of the NT, so maybe this is not a bad deal.

Yes its not cheap but, based on the NT version its worth it.....

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:12 AM

I would have thought this would have been a very popular resource. I guess not. It's being gathering dust...I mean interest...for months now.

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:31 AM

I imagine it IS a popular resource.  I would LOVE to have it.  Unfortunately, I cannot afford it.  I use the LDGNT all the time and consider it my most important NT resource.  Anyone want to GIVE me the cash for it, I promise I will order!  So sad...

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 6:24 AM

OK, since so many people are so extremely positive to these resources:

I did my Greek and Hebrew some 20 years ago (before computers), and I did them in Sweden (where they seem to be taught differently). The Hebrew is pretty much in a coma, but the Greek's still got some life in it, at least, and I'm trying to find the time to work on them both. 

What exactly do these resources do, and why do I want them? And please explain in very simple terms. As I said, I'm not familiar with American ways of visualizing sentences and so on, I haven't really had time yet to look at what I've already got, and grammatical stuff is among the hardest to grasp in a foreign language.

Also -- you who have been with Logos a long time -- aren't these the kind of resources that are likely to be added to the base packages in a not too distant future (like maybe about the time when my language skills have reaches the level to profit from them...)? 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 6:47 AM

Part of the 'funding' problem is that there's really TWO pre-pubs out there gathering interest. The Lexham High Definition OT (which is part of the Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible Bundle) is also about 'half-way' across the bar-graph. So I'd assume there's two groups of people involved. The High Definition OT is about half the cost of the bundle. My High Definiton NT gets it own window when I'm working in the NT. And thus I too am really hoping for his twin brother to show up.

As regards the question 'why needed', my understanding from several of Steve Runge's msg's emphasize that the collective resources really help people who do NOT have a strong background in the original languages but want to get a better grasp of the intent of the writers. The 'High Definition' pair are actually just the ESV nicely diagrammed out for you, along with markings and colors. How easy!! At church in our small classes, it can really be a blessing where the verses 'string out' and it's not obvious where the writer is going; it's quite visual.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1723
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 1:12 PM

Joshua Garcia:
I would have thought this would have been a very popular resource. I guess not. It's being gathering dust...I mean interest...for months now.

It is popular; it's just that the Hebrew OT is three times the size of the Greek NT, and the Greek NT gets more attention from our customers. So the Hebrew has to be VERY popular to cover it's (triple) costs.

Posts 861
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 1:26 PM

I ordered day one as well. Please consider this resource. I am so looking forward to it.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:04 PM

I ordered it at soon as it went pre-pub myself. The discourse grammar method is new to me, but I am trying to understand and use it more. The more I do, the more I like it. I will offer a free cup of coffee to anyone and everyone who orders this in order to get it over the top.

Disclaimer: To get the free coffee you will have to come to my home in Warrior, Alabama. We only brew Starbucks and I like it strong.Coffee 

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 4:41 PM

I will consider your offer, but it must be Gold Coast from starbucks and I prefer french press.  Now I gotta figure out if Im gonna spend the 199.  Since I live 1 state west of you, I figure travel will not be too bad.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 4:57 PM

fgh:
What exactly do these resources do, and why do I want them? And please explain in very simple terms.

If you watch Dr. Runge's videos here, he explains it very simply.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 7:22 PM

I have a better idea.  Why not apply the Discourse principles to the hebrew text.  In my opinion, that's all  you would really have to do, but then again, discourse grammar must be different in the O.T.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 8:07 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Joshua Garcia:

It is popular; it's just that the Hebrew OT is three times the size of the Greek NT, and the Greek NT gets more attention from our customers. So the Hebrew has to be VERY popular to cover it's (triple) costs.

Bob, It would be really cool if the status bars in the Pre-Pub program were actual gauges that showed a a discernible percentage where we can see how close a title is in transitioning from "Gathering Interest" to "Under Development" to "Shipping Soon".

Presently:           What I'd like to see:   

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 8:47 AM

Okay, I just pre-ordered it to lock in the pre-pub price.

HOWEVER, I still don't know how to make productive use of the Discourse GNT, and I was an early adopter. Looking directly at the text looks to me like just stating the obvious, but with non-standard (i.e., with 'discourse' specific) lingo. But some seem to find it a very valuable resource.Obviously I'm missing something others are seeing.

What we need is a video series (from Logos or users) on how to use the Discourse GNT productively. I would be more inclined to not cancel my preorder for the Discourse Hebrew, if I had a clue as to how to make it worth spending a even dime on it.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS