Can we create links from one resource to another?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
RI Burns | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 16 2010 6:38 PM

Let's say I want the NRSV versions of Greek Esther and Esther to scoll in parallel fashion.  Can I instruct Logos 4 to scroll two different resources side-by-side?

Or let's say I want RH Charles' Enoch to scroll with the Dead Sea Scrolls fragments of Aramaic Enoch?

Please note: the examples given above CANNOT be linked using the Logos 4 built in A,B,C,D,E linking schema.  The resources are not the same data type.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 6:48 PM

Wonder about Linking Resources ? Wiki page => http://wiki.logos.com/Linking_Resources

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4
RI Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:04 PM

Huh... now I guess you missed the whole point of my question then, didn't ye?

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:22 PM

Bob Burns:

Let's say I want the NRSV versions of Greek Esther and Esther to scoll in parallel fashion.  Can I instruct Logos 4 to scroll two different resources side-by-side?

Or let's say I want RH Charles' Enoch to scroll with the Dead Sea Scrolls fragments of Aramaic Enoch?

Please note: the examples given above CANNOT be linked using the Logos 4 built in A,B,C,D,E linking schema.  The resources are not the same data type.

The answer in both cases is no, but for different reasons.

In the NRSV case, you're dealing with two different locations in one resource. They're the same data type (BibleNRSV), but can't be made to scroll together because they are not indexed with the same biblical reference. It would be like saying "how can I make Revelation scroll in parallel with Isaiah?" The different parts of this resource have no understanding that one happens to be a parallel text to the other.

In the Enoch case you've got two different resources, different data types (BibleCAP and DSSSE), and again the indexing is different, e.g.: 4Q204 Col. v  vs.  Enoch 10:13.

So, unfortunately, Logos 4 cannot scroll those together. The best you can do in the NRSV case is open to windows onto the NRSV (right-click and select Open a copy in a new tab), and not link them together but manually scroll them alongside each other. Perhaps someone has written a harmony of the two versions of Esther in NRSV -- that's really what you'd need here.

The best you can do in the Enoch case is, similarly, open them along side each other and manually scroll them together.

Posts 4
RI Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 18 2010 7:57 PM

In the case of Isaiah and REvelation, I see your point.

With Esther and Greek Esther, however, they share a lot of common verses.  I think about 2/3 of the books share the same verses.

In the cases of Aramaic Enoch and RH Charles translation of Enoch, they share a lot of common verses.

I guess what I am saying these resources share obvious commonalities and Logos should have a way for users to embed links between the resources.  The cases I'm citing above are resources that share a quite obvious relation to one another, a relation that is more fundamental than that between Isaiah and Revelation.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:40 PM

Bob Burns:

Huh... now I guess you missed the whole point of my question then, didn't ye?

Embarrassed still expanding boundaries of ignorance - Thanks to Rosie's insight know have much more to learn.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 12:25 AM

Bob Burns:

I guess what I am saying these resources share obvious commonalities and Logos should have a way for users to embed links between the resources.  The cases I'm citing above are resources that share a quite obvious relation to one another, a relation that is more fundamental than that between Isaiah and Revelation.

OK, you're right there, and I understand that. But there are other parts of Scripture that have similar parallelism -- duplication even. My choice of Isaiah-Revelation was a poor example. A better one would have been Psalm 40:13-17 and Ps 70:1-5, which are nearly identical. And 2 Samuel 22 is the same text as Psalm 18 with only minor variations. So one might equally well ask why can't we make those texts parallel within Logos and scroll them together? What you are requesting to be able to do with Esther and Greek Esther would have to solve the same hurdle as this, which is that these texts are indexed separately in Scripture reference space (Es 1:1 vs. Gk Es 1:1 or 2 Sam 22:1 vs. Ps 18:1), so as far as the software is concerned they aren't parallel, unlike when you're scrolling a commentary on 2 Sam 22 in tandem with the Biblical text that's indexed by the same Scripture reference. It takes a semantic understanding of the underlying text to see that they are indeed parallel.

Some print editions of the Bible (e.g., NIV) show parallel passages in italics under the heading at the beginning of a pericope. It's up to the user to flip back and forth between the two. I'm not saying that's ideal, but thus far that's all one has been able to do without a Harmony (e.g., a Harmony of the Gospels) being written.

So essentially what would need to happen for Logos to be able to present these as parallel passages would be for them to produce a harmony of Esther and Greek Esther (with two parallel columns), and let us explore that as a separate resource. See, for example, any of the resources of Type:harmony. I'm not saying they couldn't or wouldn't do it. But it's more than simply letting us sync the scrolling of those two books together in two separate windows. If you've got Greek Esther in one window and Esther in another and they were scrolling in tandem, what would you do if you scrolled beyond the end of one of these books in one window or the other? The parallel Scripture reference space doesn't continue beyond the end of each book, so scrolling in tandem would be problematic.

I hope perhaps I'm helping you to shape a request to Logos that would be doable by them, rather than merely refuting your request for something that doesn't exist yet. You originally posed this as a question, and my answer was essentially "no, you can't do that currently." I think I've explained why. I might not have succeeded as well at explaining why it would be hard to implement the way you're envisioning it. But maybe they could provide a harmony of the parallel Esthers, if someone hasn't already written one. Ditto for the two different Enoch scrolls.

Posts 29128
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 12:51 AM

In Logos 3 we could do this by building a XML file for the parallels ... of which I had created several. It one of several features of user created data that we are waiting for. I'd proposed with little support, that until Logos recreates a method for users to create the data that they at least let users submit uncopyrighted material to Logos for them to create the files for general distribution.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:11 AM

This response is probably more aimed at LOGOS staff than readers, but I wonder if LOGOS couldn't allow one to insert a marker(or two) (like a note or something) into two documents and then align the marks while scrolling.  This technique would allow one to match locations in any two arbitrary documents (or even within one document). There are times where linking passages of psalms or OT vs NT would be useful  (Revelations vs Ezekiel for example) .  If something like this would serve your need you might submit it as a suggestion.  

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 12:10 AM

Robert Phillips:
This response is probably more aimed at LOGOS staff than readers, but I wonder if LOGOS couldn't allow one to insert a marker(or two) (like a note or something) into two documents and then align the marks while scrolling. 

Logos will pay attention to a suggestion on UserVoice.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS