Bug (?) ESV Search Results

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 45
Jesse Frame | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:57 AM

did a bible search in ESV for the word "fellowship" (looking for uses of koinonia) and it threw an article in the results...

think this is this a bug?

Jesse FrameNew Mission Systems International, Australia

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 18 2010 9:35 PM

Comparing Bible Search with Morph Lemma search interesting - included more articles:

Observation: Morph Search also found more verses than Bible Search.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 45
Jesse Frame | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 8:57 AM

interesting... it makes me not trust the built-in language tools.

i wonder how accurate these searches are when using multiple translations?

Posts 96
Ruben Gomez | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 9:08 AM

I don't know what's going on, but the right stats are 19 results in 17 verses, for what is worth.

Rubén Gómez

Posts 45
Jesse Frame | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:32 AM

just looking at this again. there's definitely something wrong (or i dont understand what im seeing...)

Ruben Gomez:

I don't know what's going on, but the right stats are 19 results in 17 verses, for what is worth.

the chart says 19 results, but shows 24, and even then the actual lemma i searched for (koinonia) shows 20 results.

also, the "result" column should be what the ESV translated it to, right? why does it say "part" next to 2 Co 8:4?

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:38 AM

The issue is well-known and springs from the way the Greek text is tagged in the Reverse Interlinears (when the article appears before the word it is all counted together). It seems that this is by design even though I find it annoying and misleading.

To see just the koinonia results follow the directions to Option + Click the 'Lemma' header and drag it to the area where that notice appears.

I think that many of us have assumed a mistake in search results when we see this. If you want to avoid this, start your search from the Greek or from the ESV text by choosing the Lemma pane and then 'search this resource'. You will not have the 'spurious' results.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS