Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 51 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2685
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2009 1:14 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Big Smile  I love it, Sir T!  Theology cafeteria style. 

It seems I get criticized frequently for my continuing quest for deeper understanding. I make navigational corrections along the way as I learn my understanding has been flawed somewhere. I remember George's admonition to "keep your friends close and your enemies closer." George has also recommended reading those with whom you do NOT agree. So if Ray Stedman is off base it would e a good reminder as to why. Still there is a lot of practical applications we can glean from him. I think he was a gifted pastor whatever your eschatology.

George Somsel:
The problem is that according to the web site you referenced he is apparently a dispensationalist.  That takes him of the list all by itself
Ted Hans - Hi George i am no dispensationalist but leaving Ray Stedman's dispensationalism aside as an expositor he is good..

Hi Matthew,

I do think Ray Stedman was a brilliant expositor and bible teacher so i have added my voice to have him in Logos. As for George, i do agree with him, it is him George who disagrees with me.Wink I think there are some ideas that are best left alone, if we are to be faithful to the scriptures. Paul & John use strong language for "brothers" who do not walk according to the apostolic rule. Need i mention in Acts 19:19, books from the "other" side were burnt but i know you as a godly man are aware of this.

I have read a lot of your post & i have been encouraged by your writings so my comments below are not referencing you or George. I do abide by the spirit of George's comments though not the letter. To re-word his comments slightly,I am willing to read any book from my brothers & sisters who i disagree with in the Lord. I am not sure how eccentric theologically speaking the church world is in the states. Our Bishops here in London/England believe Mary our Lords mother was raped & all kinds of beyond belief ideas. Some of these ideas are not even appropriate to mention in a public forum. One Bishop went round the world exploring the different religions of the world and participating in their various rituals/practices & prayers. At one point in the program he was high on drugs( weed/ grass or herbs) he wanted to make contact with the other side, to see what these various religions meant by heaven. Smoking drugs on TV & saying how it was wrong to evangelize these natives. A cool Bishop high on drugs! of course it was well received, hailed as a positive way forward for the church.No I shall not be buying his book! Others are welcome to his "insights" from a higher state.

When it comes to ideas from the cults, it is good to know about their ideas so that one can refute those ideas and rescue poor souls in Satan's grip. Even that, i would be careful least one falls into the trap of Satan. The various Christian school of thought or traditions do try to honour Christ even though they may be wrong. Some simply just want to destroy the faith which you and i hold dear. My points is, we must marry constructive engagement with good biblical separation. My God is wiser than i, he commands me to separate from that which is dishonouring to him, that i will do by his grace. Engage cautiously & separate biblically is my rule.

Matthew, do not think i am taking issue with you, i am not. Your post just gave me the opportunity to say what was on my heart.

Thanks for your kind response & your contribution to the forum. Iron sharpens iron, we are all still learning and may the Lord help us all to see his truth clearly.

The Lord Keep you.

Sir T.

P.S. I started out as an Arminian & a dispensationalist, how could i have become a Calvinist/ Historic Premill without engagement?

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2009 6:16 AM

WoW! Brother,

I had no idea some claiming Christ's name are now preaching those types of heresy. I certaily wouldn't want those teachings found amongst my library when I pass. My children are taught deference and acceptance of fellow Christians who differ, but out-&-out heresy is not the same thing.

Ray Stedman didn't have perfect understanding of everything (He does now! Angel ) But he certainly loved the Lord and fed the flock as best as he knew how.

And I probably agree with George a lot more than he would want to admit. I can here him saying he doesn't care what I believe.... Cool

God Bless You today George,  & you too Sir T!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2009 9:00 AM

Matthew C Jones:

And I probably agree with George a lot more than he would want to admit. I can here him saying he doesn't care what I believe.... Cool

And I probably agree with my "more conservative" brethren more than THEY would care to acknowledge.  While I understand what you mean when you say that "he doesn't care what I believe", I also understand the more literal meaning, and I do care what you believe but it doesn't affect what I believe.  Live long and prosper.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1
Ken Bergh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 10:14 AM

I would also like to see Ray Stedman's work on Logos....   Chuck Smith too.

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 12:04 PM

Super Tramp:
but out-&-out heresy is not the same thing.

How do you feel about Nestorius, Origen, Mani?Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3648
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 6:08 AM

< Deleted >

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 10:05 AM

Ted Hans:

Grudem doesn't know his Greek very well HmmmHuh? Are you sure about this George or is this your own bias showing up?  You went to Calvin College and Seminary i am not sure what happened to you that you left the straight and narrow path.

Ted

This is true, and all too common among seminary-trained teachers (think James White). In the book referred to, Grudem butchers a quotation from Chrysostom in a manner I wouldn't expect of a second semester student of Greek.

Posts 1
William Swallers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 6:12 PM

It appears you are Calvinist in belief by your remarks. As well this would explain your end times understanding. Ever study Thessalonians ? It has much to say concerning evens within a rapture I believe. I believe scripture plainly lays out thing in a dispensational way and this is truly the truest biblical understanding , or way to understand the Lord word to us. Arminius was calvinist at one point and disagreed with what Calvinism taught about the will of man.calvinism says God has to regenerate a man before he can be redeemed and as well some were elected and others were created dammed by God. Really, I don’t think this is a very sound doctrinal teaching based on the BiBLE. But only God can cause one to see truth which is within scriptures pages. Both calvinism and Arminianism have error in them which is very unbiblical. Truly no man is perfect, but dispensationalism lines  best in my understanding of Gods word. A premillennialism view if you will

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 4:59 AM

William Swallers:
It appears ...

Welcome to the Logos Bible Software forums Big Smile

Observation: "It appears ..." you replied to a 31 Aug 2009 reply (~10 years old), which predates 19 Jan 2010 Forum Guidelines as well as https://www.christiandiscourse.net and https://faithlife.com (various groups) for theological discussions.

Also Suggestions forum convention has become to express your support for resource (OR ignore thread). Thankful for Faithlife Corporation offering over 100,000 resources for use in Logos, Verbum, and Noet (desktop applications and mobile apps). Thankful for digital resources since gathering human authors in one place would have some intense discussions.

Searching Logos.com for Stedman finds author Ray Stedman => https://www.logos.com/products/search?Author=13377%7cRay+Stedman

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2820
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2019 7:42 AM

I agree that Ray Stedman's works would be an asset.  I would like to see his works added to Logos.

I am not a dispensationalist at all, but there is much good exposition in Stedman's work.  I am not afraid to hold on to what is good, while rejecting what I do not agree with in anyone's work.  

I am not a Calvinist either, but I have benefited from Calvin's Commentaries, and I am a real fan of Martyn Lloyd-Jones' work.

My library and my mind would both be smaller if I only read what I agree with.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3648
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2019 10:38 AM

Michael Childs:

I am not a dispensationalist at all, but there is much good exposition in Stedman's work.  I am not afraid to hold on to what is good, while rejecting what I do not agree with in anyone's work.  

I am not a Calvinist either, but I have benefited from Calvin's Commentaries, and I am a real fan of Martyn Lloyd-Jones' work

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 10446
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2019 7:49 AM

Michael Childs:
My library and my mind would both be smaller if I only read what I agree with.

Stick out tongue So very true Stick out tongue

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS