Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2009 11:39 AM

Jacob Hantla:

Alain Maashe:

Waiting for 4.0 should clearly give you more bang for your buck since you are only doing one upgrade instead of two.

Historically it has not worked this way. Generally the next upgrade price is custom-calculated for what you already own. So I don't think that this is an accurate statement.

You have misunderstood my point.

Historically, and according to Logos' own numbers the less upgrades you make to get to a specific collection, the more money you save. this takes into account the discount you receive for the resources you already own.

If Bryan buys Scholar’s Gold 3.0 now and Scholar's Gold 4.0 includes exactly the same resources, upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 should be free since he would only be upgrading the engine (Logos calls it an "update").

It is more likely that Scholar's Gold 4.0 will include additional resources the same way all pre -version 3.0 collections needed to be upgraded to version 3.0 for a fee ( i.e. Scholar's Library (RA) to Scholar's Library (ND) for $89.5)

if more resources are added to Scholar's Gold 4.0 or if he want to upgrade to Scholar's "Ultimate" 4.0 (or whatever it will be called) instead he would have made two upgrades; the first one to  Scholar's Gold 3.0 and the second one to  Scholar's Gold 4.0 or Scholar's "Ultimate" 4.0.

The additional cost due the multiple upgrades path should be minimal if he only wants Scholar's Gold 4.0 but might be more substantial if he wants to get Scholar's "Ultimate" 4.0. after upgrading to Scholar's Gold 3.0 (as opposed to going directly from what he has now to Scholar's "Ultimate" 4.0 ).

the same principle applies with buying the top package directly (i.e, Scholar's Gold 3.0) versus upgrading one or more times to get to the top package in the same version of the software.

Alain 

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2009 9:19 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Then again Mac users are used to paying more for the same functionality.

Alas, that is not the case here. We are paying more for less functionality. The Mac version lags far behind the Windows version. 

Alas, it is true, though, that Macs and Mac software is generally more expensive than for Windows. There are exceptions, even some notable exceptions, but for some reason people feel justified charging more for their software on a Mac than a PC. Injustice!

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2009 5:58 AM

This why I would never own a MAC.  It is really nothing more than an overpriced PC.  At least since they have started using intel processors.  In fact, some people are hacking their PC's to run the MAC operating system.  

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2009 7:10 AM

Richard Crampton:
This why I would never own a MAC.  It is really nothing more than an overpriced PC.  At least since they have started using intel processors.  In fact, some people are hacking their PC's to run the MAC operating system.  

Well, there are two broad components for computers. Hardware and software. The hardware in Macs are very similar in some aspects, but big differences as well (for example the current touch pad, isight camera, etc)

The software on the other hand is much different. Mac software is a POSIX type system (FreeBSD). Also because Apple knows what kind of hardware configurations are going to be in their machines, the operating system is less prone to problems as opposed to hundreds, maybe thousands of possible types of hardware configurations in a PC.

Are Macs perfect? No. Just check out the forums and you'll see problems that sound just like a PC. However, I think that POSIX type operating systems have had historically a number of advantages over Windows. This is one of the factors in fueling the Linux movement.

Are they overpriced? After 15 years of battling Windows boxes of all variants, we are happy we paid a bit more to get a Mac. Aside from speed, security, stability, etc. the applications on OSX tend to be extraordinary (such as iMovie). It seems like money well spent to us. There are also some programmes that you cannot get for the PC which are stunning, for example: Scrivner, DEVONthink, Delicious Library, iChat (multivideo conferencing) and another Mac Bible programme to name a few.

At the end of the day, if someone tells me they are happy with their PC, I tell them to stick with it. However, if they are on a rant of some of the problems that we have had over the years with Windows machines, I'll introduce them to an alternative or two. As technology stands today, we have no desire to go back.

BTW, brace yourself for the media and marketing blitz that we will be getting very soon with Windows 7. Big Smile

Posts 112
BS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:15 AM

Glad I waited!  http://www.logos.com/platinum

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 4:07 AM

Bryan Smith:

Glad I waited!  http://www.logos.com/platinum

Indeed

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS